Can Adrian Martinez Run?

WiseOlVol

This will be a huge question for any HC candidate.
UT will not win with flat-footed QBs.

Saban and Dabo have running QBs.
Harbaugh doesn't (won't) and is a bust.
Meyer won't run Barrett -- lost 3 blowouts in 10 months.
Kelly not going to UF cos they don't have any runners on the bench. Can't cut Franks loose.
Mayfield runs very well.

After watching Dobbs run, and the Ga Tech QB v us, and Hurts, there's no reason Tennessee should ever take the field without a fast QB.

If it means switching to an option formation (wish, flex, etc.), so be it.

Reactions: 2 people

Kelly not going to UF cos they don't have any runners on the bench. Can't cut Franks loose.
Mayfield runs very well.

After watching Dobbs run, and the Ga Tech QB v us, and Hurts, there's no reason Tennessee should ever take the field without a fast QB.

WATCH: Adrian Martinez junior highlights - YouTube
According to this tape he can run and pass

Mayfield runs very well.

You continue with this narrative... and it just isn't true.

Bama has recently won with pro-style QBs. UGA has prostyle QB's. USC does. Mayfield is mobile but they don't ask him to be part of the run game.

Wisconsin is still undefeated and has never had a running QB as far as I know. LSU is doing just fine without one. USCe doesn't have one... in fact their current QB beat one out.

TAM's offense has been terrible with their running QB and without their pocket passer.

Mizzou has the SEC's second best O... and doesn't have a running QB.

There are A LOT of factors that can make a non-running QB more effective than a running QB.

Reactions: 6 people

Mayfield runs very well.

We have no idea what type of offense our new coach runs. We have no idea who our new coach IS. :hmm:

Run style QBs are hazards to themselves. FSU lost theirs and their season is in the dumps. Clemson lost theirs and lost to Syracuse without him. The Vols lost theirs to graduation and Botch Jones became a waste of skin.

Mobility is a different skill from running for the sake of running.

Reactions: 1 person
Bama has won consistently without one, but what made them win is their defense. If the the other team can't score they can't win.

I am not a fan of a system where the QB needs to run often, but I am a fan of the QB ALWAYS being a threat to run.

If a QB is mobile enough to avoid pressure and grab a few yards on what otherwise was a busted play then that's a good thing.

I would tap the brakes on talking about any qb who is not on the roster yet. Until further notice we do not have a recruiting class at all.

Bama has won consistently without one, but what made them win is their defense. If the the other team can't score they can't win.

I am not a fan of a system where the QB needs to run often, but I am a fan of the QB ALWAYS being a threat to run.

If a QB is mobile enough to avoid pressure and grab a few yards on what otherwise was a busted play then that's a good thing.

Total agreement with all three lines, and especially the middle one. I do not like an offense where the QB is asked to run a lot 1) it causes opposing D's to focus on him too much, and 2) that exposes the QB to greater likelihood of injury. However, he does need to be mobile enough to avoid pressure, escape sacks, and hopefully make positive yardage on busted plays... like you said. Also, having a QB who can "tuck-it-and-run" can worry even a good defense to distraction.

Total agreement with all three lines, and especially the middle one. I do not like an offense where the QB is asked to run a lot 1) it causes opposing D's to focus on him too much, and 2) that exposes the QB to greater likelihood of injury. However, he does need to be mobile enough to avoid pressure, escape sacks, and hopefully make positive yardage on busted plays... like you said. Also, having a QB who can "tuck-it-and-run" can worry even a good defense to distraction.

I remember an interview with Auburn’s linebackers in 1998 after we beat them. While Tee was no Peyton, they explicitly said that Tennessee was much more difficult to defend against that year because Tee had the ability to break a 30 yard run as well as having to worry about Peerless getting loose.

Mayfield runs very well.

Saban has won with every type of QB imaginable.
You dont have to have a dual threat QB to win games or run the spread.

It's really not a dealbreaker one way or the other but i usuallly focus more on whether a QB can throw.

Mayfield runs very well.

You cannot judge how good a running QB is if you compare them against Tns defense. They couldn't stop a walking QB

:angry:

WATCH: Adrian Martinez junior highlights - YouTube
According to this tape he can run and pass

So hard to tell how good a runner a qb is based on his high school tape vs a majority of kids who’ll never play D1 football.

I remember my very first debate with D4H a couple years ago when he swore JG was a faster, even better runner than Dobbs based on his high school tape. I said that was preposterous, he said otherwise......guess who was right.

VN Store

Back