My in-depth analysis of what happened at the ND game

Of course, it's not fun. But it is insightful whenever someone with basketball knowledge expresses an observation or fact. That's the learning experience. Fans can get better with more knowledge even as the team doesn't get better. There are more athletic and better skilled player on the court this season than in a long time. Some fans want to see this team restored to glory instead of watching some of the most negative records being set. 23 point comeback come to mind?

Reactions: 3 people
Some observations after a second look!
We shot 57% and out rebounded them 34-27 (+7)
This usually a receipt of a win!!

28 turnovers and ND 15 steals! Not a good stat!!

MeMe was our leading scorer with 18 pts. (8of9) and (2 of 3 three point shots) !!! But she played only 26 minutes???? Holly likes to bring Annie in for a spark! But why do you take a player out who is hot and NOT in foul trouble????? She missed one shot!

Mercedes had 3 rebounds and put backs plus three more rebounds in the first FOUR minutes.....
HOWEVER, The Best Player on the court shoots her last shot of the second quarter at 6:32 left and (HER ONLY SHOT)???? She took her ONLY shot of the second HALF at 5:04 of the third quarter! And ZERO in the fourth quarter????

Annie was a disaster on defense as ND would take whoever she was guarding under the goal and just shoot over her!!! One time Shepherd was the last one down the court on offense and everyone else got THEIR MAN and left Annie to guard Shepherd???? Who just walked to the goal and they passed to her for a easy lay up??? Where were the other four players on Tennessee team? Guarding their man and no HELP defense! With this mindset we will continue poor defense. JNO

Reactions: 7 people
We lost. Lets move on. We may lose again but lets take it like adults or at least

You can`t move on if the coach don`t hold players feet to the fire when they keep turning the ball over. Look we all know Westbrook and Hayes are freshmen, But most of there turnovers are bad unforced. And to be fair you can add Nared to the mix. Westbrook 71 Hayes 68 Nared 40 i added Nared because she is a Sr. As a Team we have turn the ball over 315 times after 18 games.

You can`t move on if the coach don`t.......

Nothing is stopping fans from moving on except for other fans. Lamenting or offering expert coaching opinions can't change the past and I doubt the coaching staff is interested in non professional advice from someone who may have played in the past. The real point is don't torture yourself over something you have absolutely no input or control over. You just bring down those around you. Try to have some respect for those who don't want to dwell in the negative.

Reactions: 1 person
Nothing is stopping fans from moving on except for other fans. Lamenting or offering expert coaching opinions can't change the past and I doubt the coaching staff is interested in non professional advice from someone who may have played in the past. The real point is don't torture yourself over something you have absolutely no input or control over. You just bring down those around you. Try to have some respect for those who don't want to dwell in the negative.

It appears that your solution to the problems that the Lady Vols have experienced is that we need less fanatical fans. While that would absolutely lessen the abuse being heaped on Holly, I hate the idea that the solution to our problem is to lower expectations.

Face it, lowering expectations would have left us with keeping Dooley as football coach. I personally donÂ’t want to lower expectations. IÂ’d rather be consistently angry about under performing teams than happy with mediocrity for teams that used to be championship caliber.

Reactions: 2 people
It appears that your solution to the problems that the Lady Vols have experienced is that we need less fanatical fans. While that would absolutely lessen the abuse being heaped on Holly, I hate the idea that the solution to our problem is to lower expectations.

Face it, lowering expectations would have left us with keeping Dooley as football coach. I personally donÂ’t want to lower expectations. IÂ’d rather be consistently angry about under performing teams than happy with mediocrity for teams that used to be championship caliber.

Not at all. Just think some maturity is in order. You don't post here much so why are you here now and why do you think acting out is going to fix your problem?

With all due respect,the purpose of a forum is to express and discuss
different view. That's the fun on this board. From everyone , even troll.

Fanatical fans or fans that sit on their hands, can't have both ways, going with fanatical.:crazy:

That number of turnovers is the numbers associated with elementary school basketball. A well coached team is one hat have very few turnovers. When you cannot teach a young lady to successfully pass the ball, this is lack of coachig !!!

You can`t move on if the coach don`t hold players feet to the fire when they keep turning the ball over. Look we all know Westbrook and Hayes are freshmen, But most of there turnovers are bad unforced. And to be fair you can add Nared to the mix. Westbrook 71 Hayes 68 Nared 40 i added Nared because she is a Sr. As a Team we have turn the ball over 315 times after 18 games.

Turnovers:

This is the THIRD game that Evans has thrown a pass ahead to a player that is wide open and they just let the ball go out of bounds because they never saw the ball coming????? WHY run down the court and not even be looking for the ball ???

Notre Dame game :
Annie got three passes to three different players under our offensive goal and all three fumbled the ball out of bounds or lost control of the ball while it hit them in the hands???

All of these situations are _unforced ! You can blame the freshmen guards but in some occasions it is not the freshmen making the errors! Jamie had seven turnovers herself? Just saying

We got our azz kicked in the second half, azz kicking happen sometimes learn from it or get your azz kicked again.:eek:hmy:

I agree to a point.

1. Last quarter at 7:00 left we had a seven point lead!

2. At 5:00 minutes it was tied

3. At 4:00 it was a three point in there favor

3.5. At 3:56 MeMe makes lay up to cut lead to 2

4. Then the dam broke 😈

Last edited:
I agree to a point.

1. Last quarter at 7:00 left we had a seven point lead!

2. At 5:00 minutes it was tied

3. At 4:00 it was a three point in there favor

4. Then the dam broke 😈

Hey PRG, following up on this post and your prior,

You are so right on Annie's defensive effort. She played "D" like a freshman. She gave up the baseline on several drives and for quick guard, that should not happen.

This might have been a game to let MeME get more minutes, she was definitely on.

Actually, MR not getting a shot does not bother me because ND was sagging the zone on her. They made a decision to take MR out of the offense and were betting that the other LVs would not take advantage. Unfortunately, Muffett was right. Hopefully, the LVs will create a plan b for similar situations in the future.

On a different note not related to your post PRG, there many folks who keep saying that the problem is that Holly is not holding her PGs accountable. But what is she supposed to do. The team has 2 (count em 2) freshman PGs. So if both are having To prone games, as in ND, what is she supposed to bench them both? The team has let Meme in short stretches run point in some past games and she just not effective in that role. Neither is Nared suited for that role (and she had her own To problems). The issue is not about "accountability" but learning and gaining experience under pressure. That is the issue with freshman players, they can look like world beaters in one game and deer-in-the-headlights in another.

MeMe's minutes were limited from her getting clocked on a screen. I feared she had suffered a dreaded concussion. I would not be surprised at all if she has to sit out a game or two. She probably won't have to but she was a bit cloudy after the hit. Mercedes took a forearm shiver to nose and it seemed she had no interest in battling after that incident. Those two incidents made a real difference in the game. Everyone is blaming coaching on the bad passes. I want someone to explain to me what coaching technique prevents a player from throwing a pass into the stands? You can emphasize taking care of the ball and talk to a player about it as much as you want, but it's up to the player to control how and where they pass the ball. I know, most say make the player ride the pines. The problem is the player coming in is turnover prone also. I don't think the problem will be fixed until the players realize how costly turnovers are and they fix themselves. Maybe this last game got their attention and got that point across. Time will tell. Can't win the ND game now. Put it behind you and move forward. This was the only game this year where I thought they all lost their composure.

Reactions: 4 people
TOs and Nared's slump are tough to overcome. Everybody acknowledges TOs are a big problem and need to be worked on... yet the same things happen game after game. It's easy enough to isolate the breakdowns on video, but the players are going to have to work together to control the errant passes.

It's going to be tough to beat any top 10 team with 28 TOs, 46.7% FTs and our best shooter hitting 35% from the floor. All are fixable. Fix them and we can win any of the remaining games.

You just bring down those around you. Try to have some respect for those who don't want to dwell in the negative.

Maturity... like crying that your feelings are hurt when someone posts something you don't agree with? The fact is this was a record setting collapse that was a terrible look for Holly and the team and fans have to right to process that. Facts don't care about your feelings...

Maturity... like crying that your feelings are hurt when someone posts something you don't agree with? The fact is this was a record setting collapse that was a terrible look for Holly and the team and fans have to right to process that. Facts don't care about your feelings...

You are indeed a very angry and depressed individual who appears devoid of actual feelings. Sad.

VN Store

Back