Before anyone loses their mind...

UTLadyvolsfan

Look, this team, was ranked 14/18 preseason. We worked our way up to #6. We had a great win over SC and Texas. Our loss to Tex A&M was not a good one, but our other losses are to top 5 ND and Miss State.

We've beaten everyone we were supposed to except Tex AM and we beat a few teams we weren't supposed to (SC and Texas).

We seem to fall apart in Q4 in the games we've lost. Not sure why. Blame the coaches if you want, but don't control the TO's, missed layups/shots, or defensive lapses.

We are a team that relies heavily on 3 freshmen and 1 JUCO transfer. Our seniors are doing what they are supposed to for the most part every night - both averaging close to 17 PPG. Our next 3 scorers are the freshmen - all averaging close to, or over, 10 PPG.

All 3 freshmen come back obviously, plus Jackson, who is having a breakout year IMHO. Add to that a trio of McD AA's coming in and the future looks bright, even tho we lost great talents in Russell and Nared.

I just don't get all the doom and gloom. Holly was never going to be the force of nature Pat was. Let's be honest - Pat never excelled at teaching creative motion offense, and Warlick and co. have struggled on that account.

BUT their recruiting has been stellar - 7 McD AA's in 2 classes total. Unprecedented.

Bottom line, we are a legit top 10 team, and our last 2 recruiting classes are great. I don't doubt that there are better coaches out there, but I'm not sure there are better recruiters for our program. I hate to throw cold water truth on things, but it's unlikely this program will ever be a dominant force again, just like UCONN probably won't be once Geno leaves. But for us to be a consistent fixture in the top 10 and give ourselves a chance to win the big one is about the most I believe we can expect in the short run.

Reactions: 7 people
South Carolina was without Aja Wilson. Stop pretending that didn't make a difference.

The SEC standings don't care about Wilson's absence, but I'm not gonna pretend that a win over an SC team missing the likely NPOY is a great win.

They beat Texas and a bunch of cupcakes.

Reactions: 15 people
I love the Lady Vol's they are 16 - 3 I'm proud of them. Yes the last two loses hurt. They will bounce back. Go Lady Vol's

Reactions: 3 people
Look, this team, was ranked 14/18 preseason. We worked our way up to #6. We had a great win over SC and Texas. Our loss to Tex A&M was not a good one, but our other losses are to top 5 ND and Miss State.

We've beaten everyone we were supposed to except Tex AM and we beat a few teams we weren't supposed to (SC and Texas).

We seem to fall apart in Q4 in the games we've lost. Not sure why. Blame the coaches if you want, but don't control the TO's, missed layups/shots, or defensive lapses.

We are a team that relies heavily on 3 freshmen and 1 JUCO transfer. Our seniors are doing what they are supposed to for the most part every night - both averaging close to 17 PPG. Our next 3 scorers are the freshmen - all averaging close to, or over, 10 PPG.

All 3 freshmen come back obviously, plus Jackson, who is having a breakout year IMHO. Add to that a trio of McD AA's coming in and the future looks bright, even tho we lost great talents in Russell and Nared.

I just don't get all the doom and gloom. Holly was never going to be the force of nature Pat was. Let's be honest - Pat never excelled at teaching creative motion offense, and Warlick and co. have struggled on that account.

BUT their recruiting has been stellar - 7 McD AA's in 2 classes total. Unprecedented.

Bottom line, we are a legit top 10 team, and our last 2 recruiting classes are great. I don't doubt that there are better coaches out there, but I'm not sure there are better recruiters for our program. I hate to throw cold water truth on things, but it's unlikely this program will ever be a dominant force again, just like UCONN probably won't be once Geno leaves. But for us to be a consistent fixture in the top 10 and give ourselves a chance to win the big one is about the most I believe we can expect in the short run.

Nared plays awful in most every game because she wants to be the best one on the court. She should have taken a seat in the first quarter. Open three's and layup's is our problem, you would think after 18 games someone the bench could prepare a team, as Warlick has shown she can't. No we can never replace Pat but that imposter sitting on the bench pretending to be a coach is an embarrassment. We were 36 and 0 against Mississippi State and now have lost 4 out of 5 games. I guess I will skip the press conference so I don't have to listen to her response of I don't know and I don't have an answer. All of you Warlick lovers you should be able to see she Can't coach, because she tells you more than once in every press conference. This is such a disappointment that we will never be elite again as long as that woman is on the bench, everyone deserves better

Reactions: 10 people
Today we got exposed. State is good. This is what will happen to us when we play real good teams. This is the best LV team we’ve seen in a long time. We are not ready for the big time.

Reactions: 11 people

Nared is not doing her part. Are you blind?

Reactions: 8 people
Drubbed by 19 points in a home game on Back Pat Week
Horrific way to honor the great Pat Head Summitt. LV program is in shambles.

Reactions: 13 people
South Carolina was without Aja Wilson. Stop pretending that didn't make a difference.

The SEC standings don't care about Wilson's absence, but I'm not gonna pretend that a win over an SC team missing the likely NPOY is a great win.

They beat Texas and a bunch of cupcakes.

The best thing about either arguement is that it gets to be settled later in the year. So for now it DOESNT make a difference because TN came out with the win. They could have figured a way to blow the game but didn’t. Nobody will ever know what would of happened because of the injury.

I like the fact we get to play A&M again and SC both chances to go grab wins against ranked opponents. GA will most likely be ranked by the time we see them and we play at Mizzu. 4 more games against what the NCAA views as noncupcakes.

Reactions: 2 people
Today we got exposed. State is good. This is what will happen to us when we play real good teams. This is the best LV team we’ve seen in a long time. We are not ready for the big time.

That about sums it up. MSST methodically picked Tennessee apart. The difference in how the guard trip of William, Holmes and Johnson controlled the tempo of the game compared to Westbrook and Hayes was startling.

The best thing about either arguement is that it gets to be settled later in the year. So for now it DOESNT make a difference because TN came out with the win. They could have figured a way to blow the game but didn’t. Nobody will ever know what would of happened because of the injury.

I like the fact we get to play A&M again and SC both chances to go grab wins against ranked opponents. GA will most likely be ranked by the time we see them and we play at Mizzu. 4 more games against what the NCAA views as noncupcakes.

I'm not talking about standings or if the win shouldn't count. I'm just saying that beating an SC team sans Wilson is not an impressive win. They are not a good team without her. So in terms of assessing how good Tennessee is, I'm not using the SC game as a barometer for how good they are.

Nared is not doing her part. Are you blind?

No but apparently you are if you think she did anything to help us today. With Russell playing as well as she is, stop trying to the All American and use her. Nared plays out of control most every game and gets bailed out at the free throw line. I think she is a great player but play within her ability and realize she has 4 more players on the court.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not talking about standings or if the win shouldn't count. I'm just saying that beating an SC team sans Wilson is not an impressive win. They are not a good team without her. So in terms of assessing how good Tennessee is, I'm not using the SC game as a barometer for how good they are.

And I’m saying i wouldn’t discredit the win when they could have gone and given that game away... we all know how good A’ja Wilson is. But do you think Staley would care about beating us without Russell? Like all the coaches have said any win in the SEC on the road is a good win.

Plus, I don’t think we are as good as we will be. These freshman are learning on the job and even today they cut back on making turnovers during the game. This is not an orange colored glasses type of post either! I’m just saying they went out there and took a W like they were supposed too! I think their finish in the SEC and standings will go a long ways to how this team does in the SEC tourney and hosting the first two rounds.

Last edited:

I never understand why people don't realize these are indicators of poor coaching.

Reactions: 16 people
And I’m saying it’s sort of dumb to discredit the win when they could have gone and given that game away... we all know how good A’ja Wilson is. But do you think Staley would care about beating us without Russell? Like all the coaches have said any win in the SEC on the road is a good win.

Plus, I don’t think we are as good as we will be. These freshman are learning on the job and even today they cut back on making turnovers during the game. This is not an orange colored glasses type of post either! I’m just saying they went out there and took a W like they were supposed too! I think their finish in the SEC and standings will go a long ways to how this team does in the SEC tourney and hosting the first two rounds.

I'm not discrediting the win. As far as standings are concerned, Tennessee won the game and SC lost it.

But when assessing how good a team Tennessee is by using a a win against SC where Aja wasn't suited up is just grasping for straws. She's top 10 nationally in points, rebounding and blocks. Saying that SC missed her is a gross understatement.

Reactions: 4 people
The LV's won so many early in the season because of the talent disparity. Recruiting has been great and they run in transition well when they rebound decently. But everything after that is mediocre at best. Holly is a horrible game coach and they stand around too much in their half court sets. They do not value the basketball at all. Then when it heads downhill they do the opposite of what they should do and get lazy on D. No backbone. Reflection of their coach.

Reactions: 5 people
It’s the freaking lady Vols! Pat summit built what we have! It’s painful to watch it slowly burn! We should demand championships! It’s the standard! No freaking excuses!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Nared plays awful in most every game because she wants to be the best one on the court. She should have taken a seat in the first quarter. Open three's and layup's is our problem, you would think after 18 games someone the bench could prepare a team, as Warlick has shown she can't. No we can never replace Pat but that imposter sitting on the bench pretending to be a coach is an embarrassment. We were 36 and 0 against Mississippi State and now have lost 4 out of 5 games. I guess I will skip the press conference so I don't have to listen to her response of I don't know and I don't have an answer. All of you Warlick lovers you should be able to see she Can't coach, because she tells you more than once in every press conference. This is such a disappointment that we will never be elite again as long as that woman is on the bench, everyone deserves better

The Holly apologists I guess can at least make the argument that MS. State is a good veteran team, but try and swallow this one. If im not mistaken, Tenn is 0-3 in our last 3 outings against Alabama. That alone should have fans, administration, and everyone with any basketball knowledge questioning the direction and trajectory of this program.

Reactions: 1 person
The Holly apologists I guess can at least make the argument that MS. State is a good veteran team, but try and swallow this one. If im not mistaken, Tenn is 0-3 in our last 3 outings against Alabama. That alone should have fans, administration, and everyone with any basketball knowledge questioning the direction and trajectory of this program.

1-3 vs. Alabama. At least they have that one win. I saw Alabama's best player injured herself vs MSST. Sad for Ashley Williams, but that probably means Tennessee ends the listing streak.

we lost this game because of defense. The announcers said it the first half. Miss. St. was told to take the ball to the basket by their coach.He knows that is how we lost our other games.No one plays heads up defense or backside help. We cannot stop a player from driving to the basket.

The LVs were simply over matched at some positions . Had no answers for McCowan or Vivians. CWH knew state would deny MR the ball inside, again no adjustment. Had a bad feeling about this one yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back