6-2
EXP 2016 - ...
BRANDON, MS
(BRANDON)

Gardner Minshew, East Carolina, Pro-Style Quarterback

ECU Pirates Official Athletic Site

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
former east carolina quarterback gardner minshew, who's planning to move to a new school this year as a graduate transfer, is scheduled to visit alabama this weekend. But the crimson tide aren't the only sec team pursuing him. Minshew told govols247 on wednesday night that new tennessee coach jeremy pruitt's staff has "been showing serious interest" in him, but he's "not sure yet" whether he will visit the vols in the coming weeks.

The brandon, miss., native announced last month that he was leaving east carolina despite being named the pirates' starting quarterback entering the spring. He said he was returning to mississippi to devote his full attention to a family matter in his home state.

The 6-foot-2, 216-pound minshew, who started five games last year at east carolina, is hoping to transfer to a school within driving distance of his hometown. He sent his release to schools in alabama, arkansas, louisiana, mississippi and tennessee, according to multiple reports.

While alabama is widely believed to be the favorite to land him, he said he recently has been in contact with both pruitt and new tennessee offensive coordinator tyson helton. "they're hoping to get me in there in the spring and compete," minshew said. "i could get there for spring ball with their mini-terms, is what they said."

the vols are interested in adding another quarterback going into the 2018 season after rising senior quinten dormady, who started tennessee's first five games last season, announced last month that he's planning to graduate this spring and move to another school as a graduate transfer.

Pruitt's staff signed one quarterback, three-star jt shrout of santa clarita, calif., in the 2018 class. The only scholarship quarterbacks currently on tennessee's roster are jarrett guarantano, who will be a redshirt sophomore during the 2018 season, and rising sophomore will mcbride. Guarantano started six of the vols' final seven games last year.

Minshew, a former three-star prospect at northwest mississippi community college in senatobia, miss., was ranked by 247sports as the no. 7 junior-college, pro-style quarterback in the 2016 class. He played in seven games at east carolina in 2016 and took over as the pirates' starter for the final two games of the season. Last year, he threw for 2,140 yards, 16 touchdowns and seven interceptions, playing in 10 games and starting five.

Reactions: 4 people
Why in the world would he go to Bama? Did he not watch the championship game?

From that article seems like he cares more about being close to his family for something. If not going to potentially start somewhere he wants to be able to drive home often

If he can't leave an impact to the might ECU pirates, what would make you think he would succeed here?

Sounds like he arrived at ECU last year, started 5 games, and was declared a starter heading into this spring. So idk if the first half of your question is accurate.

As to the second part, he could benefit from better coaching, better schemes, better surrounding players - etc.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but why did Nick Foles and Case Keenum both look like garbage with the Rams, then have surprising success with the Eagles and Vikings, respectively.

Bring him in to compete. You never know what'll happen.

If he can't leave an impact to the might ECU pirates, what would make you think he would succeed here?

Don't know if he did or didn't never watched an ecu game. I think staff is looking more for someone to compete with Guarantano to push him and as a Saftey net for the kid that hasn't been healthy in a season he has actually played in his last 3 yrs( last yr and Jr/sr yr HS)

I hope Bama “wins” him. Tired of graduate transfers eating spots in the next class.

Reactions: 6 people
I hope Bama “wins” him. Tired of graduate transfers eating spots in the next class.

I thought with the new rules you can’t sign more than 25 no matter what? So if we don’t sign a full class we can’t roll any scholarships over right?

I thought with the new rules you can’t sign more than 25 no matter what? So if we don’t sign a full class we can’t roll any scholarships over right?

I thought so, too.

Maybe some of these were PWOs but I think Georgia signed 26 for 2018 and looks like Notre Dame signed 27:

"Seven of the 27 players--linebacker Bo Bauer, defensive back Houston Griffith, wide receiver Micah Jones, linebacker Jack Lamb, linebacker Ovie Oghoufo, running back Jahmir Smith and tight end George Takacs--enrolled at the University in January. They will participate in Notre Dame's spring football practices. The other 20 players have signed national letters of intent and will arrive on campus by June for the start of summer school."

What gives?

Subject to the NCAA with its coveted loopholes for some and not others, I agree with butchna. If it gets down to using a 4th team walk on QB to finish out a bad season, so be it. I want the spots to go to HS and juco players who can actually help beyond a few months of one season.

If it is all about how close he is to family and he is wanting to go to Bama, he's not a real player anyway. He will never see the field there. He just wants to bandwagon the opportunity.

Sounds like the kid just wants to have a Bama jersey with his name on it to hang on the wall. If he were serious about playing football, he wouldn't even be considering Alabama.

A January enrollee can count toward the current academic year or the following year. So he could still be part of the 2018-2019 class.

From the article above...

Minshew says Tennessee is very intriguing, especially because the Vols’ QB picture is pretty murky as Jeremy Pruitt and his new staff continue to get settled: “We’ve been talking a lot. They want me to compete for the job in the spring.”

Because Tennessee has mini-terms within its semesters, Minshew would be able to enroll this spring, compete in spring ball and get around his new teammates and coaches, which would be a big plus in his eyes.

He isn’t the only QB the Volunteers have their eye on: Former Stanford starter Keller Chryst is expected to take a visit to Knoxville over the weekend. Chryst isn’t expected to graduate until June, and Minshew said the Vols staff has told him they haven’t given out any offers.

“If it were to work out [at Tennessee], I’d be in school in there next Thursday,” he says. “I feel like I fit what they do.”

Reactions: 3 people
'15 JUCO National Championship ....460 yrds in a game vs Houston.....

Better resume than any qb on this present roster. jmo

Sounds like Minshew is the 1st option because he would be able to come in for spring ball, compete and learn the system. Chryst won't be able to join until Fall camp and would be behind.

Sounds like Minshew is the 1st option because he would be able to come in for spring ball, compete and learn the system. Chryst won't be able to join until Fall camp and would be behind.
At that point Chryst isn’t even worth bringing in IMO

VN Store

Back