Director of athletics phillip fulmer previews spring on rocky top

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
It's mostly about all spring sports, but does mention the orange and white game. Go Vols.

DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS PHILLIP FULMER PREVIEWS SPRING ON ROCKY TOP

Dear Big Orange fans,

I wish each of you could experience the energizing excitement I feel when I arrive on campus each day. The Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex is stirring with activity from the early-morning hours through the night as our remarkable young men and women train to become champions. Their drive is contagious and reminds me daily how imperative it is that we all approach our jobs with the same intensity we expect from our student-athletes.

I’ve held the Director of Athletics role for more than two months now, and the energy level around our 20 athletic programs intensifies with each passing week. Things are really starting to ramp up for our spring sports, and early results this semester have been positive.

We currently have nine teams ranked among the national top-25 in their respective sports. Women’s basketball is ranked 15th in the AP poll, while our men’s basketball team is ranked 19th. The Lady Vols softball team is ranked 11th in the country by the NFCA. Our women’s track team is ranked 14th by the USTFCCCA. The women’s and men’s swimming & diving teams are ranked 10th and 12th, respectively, by the CSCAA. Women’s tennis just landed at No. 18 in the ITA’s first computer poll of the season, and our men’s tennis (ITA) and men’s golf (Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll) teams are ranked 23rd and 25th nationally.

Co-head coaches Karen and Ralph Weekly have assembled what looks to be yet another team that will contend for a spot in the Women’s College World Series, and that group is already off to a 10-1 start.

This past weekend, the Tony Vitello era officially began for Tennessee baseball, as our first-year coach captured the first of what will certainly be many, many wins with the Big Orange. The Diamond Vols host UNC Greensboro for a three-game series this weekend at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

In College Station, Texas, last week, head coach Matt Kredich guided our swimming & diving teams to impressive showings at the SEC Championships. The Tennessee women finished third, and the men finished fourth. It will be exciting to see how their success at the conference level carries over to the NCAA Championships next month.

If it’s been a while since you visited campus to attend a sporting event, I invite you to venture out this spring. If you’ve never been to a softball game at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium, bring the family to the ballpark. The same goes for baseball or tennis at the Goodfriend Tennis Center. We’re hosting the SEC Women’s Tennis Championships April 18-22.

Our spring football DISH Orange & White Game is set for April 21 at 2 p.m. ET. I expect a great turnout to welcome Coach Pruitt and his staff to Neyland Stadium. Speaking of football, you can reserve your 2018 season tickets now at AllVols.com.

There will be multiple home track and field events at the newly renovated Tom Black Track at Laporte Stadium—highlighted by the SEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships May 11-13.

Make the trip out to Oak Ridge to support our rowing team. They’ll be in action at regattas on Melton Lake on March 17-18 for the Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational and May 12-13 as we host the Big 12 Championship (yes, our rowing team competes as a member of the Big 12).

I will be making the rounds at our various facilities all semester long in support of our young men and women. If you see me, come and say hello.

Let’s make it a great spring on Rocky Top.

Go Vols and Lady Vols!

8cyQke7ckYlZNH23S2GV7ZXW4_VdjqxgCpR1PNEO1QKCn8l-AcKRT7RXEhLJCi0VBM7WEP_eP34zThJsmvifhLK3q11LizC-TTCXonzANsqS=s0-d-e1-ft

Phillip Fulmer
Director of Athletics

Reactions: 14 people
Is this a permanent position for Phil... I thought he was asked to fill in until they made a hire. Seems like he has it locked down.

Is this a permanent position for Phil... I thought he was asked to fill in until they made a hire. Seems like he has it locked down.

Definitely permanent, he signed a contract making $570k annually, recently said he’d like to occupy the position for 5-6 years.

Reactions: 7 people
Great stuff, Freak.

Here's the info from AD Fulmer about football by itself:

"Our spring football DISH Orange & White Game is set for April 21 at 2 p.m. ET. I expect a great turnout to welcome Coach Pruitt and his staff to Neyland Stadium. Speaking of football, you can reserve your 2018 season tickets now at AllVols.com."

Reactions: 3 people
I know there was a lot of disapproval of Fulmer. I never understood why? The argument that he got his way to the top with dirty politics. It may be true, but you can't honestly believe that most people at top administrations are not playing the game or aren't buddies with the top officials.

Fulmer is a perfect fit because he played and coached TN at a high level. He had his opportunity to leave and coach somewhere else, he didn't. He stayed and helped build the ETSU football program. He bleeds orange and has that composed "old football coach/mentor" demeanor that we can all relate to and appreciate. He wants what's best for the university and he could care less about just a paycheck.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. Yes, he doesn't have experience like most ADs but he's been around the business and he knows what it takes. He also has connections from his time as a coach.

Less bureaucratic BS and heartless AD speak. We are in good hands.

I'm excited for him as the AD and I feel with the right support and control, Pruitt will make him look like a genius.

Reactions: 11 people
glad to have AD Fulmer on the payroll...feel fortunate that he came in when we needed him in the worst way...timing was perfect and what the university and fans needed...this is not just a job for him...and,

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
I know there was a lot of disapproval of Fulmer. I never understood why? The argument that he got his way to the top with dirty politics. It may be true, but you can't honestly believe that most people at top administrations are not playing the game or aren't buddies with the top officials.

Fulmer is a perfect fit because he played and coached TN at a high level. He had his opportunity to leave and coach somewhere else, he didn't. He stayed and helped build the ETSU football program. He bleeds orange and has that composed "old football coach/mentor" demeanor that we can all relate to and appreciate. He wants what's best for the university and he could care less about just a paycheck.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. Yes, he doesn't have experience like most ADs but he's been around the business and he knows what it takes. He also has connections from his time as a coach.

Less bureaucratic BS and heartless AD speak. We are in good hands.

I'm excited for him as the AD and I feel with the right support and control, Pruitt will make him look like a genius.

A lot of the homers got upset that when Majors went down with heart issues Fulmer came in and won and took the job. Like they say, "nothing personal..its business".

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know about any one else but as I read this I could hear him saying it in his voice. It's more than just a job for him. GBO

Reactions: 2 people
I like Fulmer. He really does seem to love UT athletics. I have made it to 5 basketball games this year and he was at every one sitting in his normal seat down in the corner by the students. The way I look at it we replaced a bean counter with no real ties to the University with someone who is emotionally attached to the success of the program.

Reactions: 6 people
I like Fulmer. He really does seem to love UT athletics. I have made it to 5 basketball games this year and he was at every one sitting in his normal seat down in the corner by the students. The way I look at it we replaced a bean counter with no real ties to the University with someone who is emotionally attached to the success of the program.

I agree with you. However, in 5 to 6 years, if we really are back to 10 to 11 win seasons, and it seems our athletic dept. is flowing nicely, there will still be the Fulmer haters on here that will say it we did it in spite of hiring Fulmer. Some on here can't see through their own hatred of Phil to ever give credit due.

I'm not hating Fulmer, but I'm curious how he handles the Holly situation and if Barnes gets in trouble from his time at Texas with the current FBI situation, I am curious what he does there.

I'm not hating Fulmer, but I'm curious how he handles the Holly situation and if Barnes gets in trouble from his time at Texas with the current FBI situation, I am curious what he does there.

I think Barnes is clean. He does not flatter his players with words.

Ah, the folly of UT PTBs... The newly installed Chancellor's stated requisite that the AD to follow Hart had to have P5 AD experience led to the hiring of Currie. The shades-of-Hamilton disastrous coaching search led to the Phil Fulmer "save" hire. Sadly, the public flirtation with Blackburn preceding the blunt dismissal of his candidacy likely contributed to his resignation from UTC. The University system and the state of Tennessee are the lesser for this sad outcome.

VN Store

Back