Top 2 Grad Transfer QB options

jasonvol18

Krav Maga Blackbelt
Hope we get the ECU guy he would immediately become the frontrunner to be the starting QB and Chest visiting this weekend is also a great option.

Hope we get the ECU guy he would immediately become the frontrunner to be the starting QB and Chest visiting this weekend is also a great option.

I don't see a Russell Wilson or Cam Newton grad transfer out there. I don't think any of these guys immediately become the frontrunner to start. They may compete and win the job or just provide depth. But calling this guy the frontrunner to start is a bit much IMO. The ECU guy seems like the best option because he could come in the spring but lets not act like he's some proven commodity. He couldn't get a better offer than walking on at Troy out of HS. Never played at Troy. Went to juco to get a better offer and ended up at ECU. Where he started 4 total games in 2 years. I get wanting to add more depth, but that's all I see this as.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see a Russell Wilson or Cam Newton grad transfer out there. I don't think any of these guys immediately become the frontrunner to start. They may compete and win the job or just provide depth. But calling this guy the frontrunner to start is a bit much IMO. The ECU guy seems like the best option because he could come in the spring but lets not act like he's some proven commodity. He couldn't get a better offer than walking on at Troy out of HS. Never played at Troy. Went to juco to get a better offer and ended up at ECU. Where he started 4 total games in 2 years. I get wanting to add more depth, but that's all I see this as.

Now you done did it! He’s gonna dust off his Alabama Neighbor Intelligence Test and put you in the yearbook. :aggressive:

Reactions: 2 people

Based on what I have seen from the only 2 QBs on TNs roster that have played, any QB who enrolls has a legitimate chance to start if they have even some skill..

Reactions: 1 person
Based on what I have seen from the only 2 QBs on TNs roster that have played, any QB who enrolls has a legitimate chance to start if they have even some skill..

You haven’t seen any of the “any QB”s in last year’s offense. :eek:k:

I agree there's definitely not a Cam or Russell Wilson option out there. Honestly we don't know either way. Baker Mayfield was a walk on too so that doesn't always tell the story. He's definitely no Mayfield but that doesn't make or break a kids talent. Not many would have played QB at Troy then. They have a 4 year starter that is currently being looked at by NFL scouts in this year's draft. He was a great QB for Troy so Minshew nor anybody else on their roster was gonna play much at QB. But this definitely isn't just about adding depth. We aren't like his other offers Ala,AU and have a clear cut starter or any type of QB success returning on our roster. If they felt good about JG or McBride I doubt they even pursue a grad transfer. But just based off Helton's comments he's far from being high on JG or McBride and doesn't talk about them like the way he hypes up JT Shrout. He said our current roster has guys that does something good and others that do something else better than another. Truth is we don't even know what JG or McBride can do, especially with good coaching. All that can be judged is what they have or haven't done on the field prior to this year. Fact is we were 108 in the nation in passing offense last year so it's much more than just about depth.

He would play at Tennessee. Not so much at Bama.

This!! Agree 100%. Only way he plays at Ala is if Hurts Leaves and Tua gets hurt. At AU they already have Stidham. We have zero proven QB so Shrout,Chryst,Minshew or anyone else who ends up here has a puncher's chance.

Now you done did it! He’s gonna dust off his Alabama Neighbor Intelligence Test and put you in the yearbook. :aggressive:

Hell I'm From TN and spent most of my life there, so this makes no sense. Only point I'm making that seems to continue confusing you is we don't have a proven QB on our current roster. JG or McBride could flourish under this staff and offense, but it's far from a guarantee. Plus Coach's tend to trust their instinct's and like using their guys if there are a bunch of unknowns. I could care less who starts, I trust our Coach's evaluations and decisions. If they are going after this guy and Chryst,then they believe they can play. But with the horrible coaching and lack of player development from the last staff we don't know what we have and don't have. Anyone on here who thinks they have the answers or knows better than our Coach's, then you might need to get checked for narcissism. It's treatable, but you gotta make the first step brother!!

Yep I read Minshew wanted to devote more time to family concerns. Bama certainly has edge geographically. But Tua is pretty well cemented as starter.
Gardner Minshew withdraws from ECU to devote attention to family

Chryst was 4-star #2 Pro-style.
Minshew 3-Star #7 Pro.

Chryst started 13 games in P5. Minshew 4 games in G5. YDS/TDs/INTs/Comp percent about the same. Minshew has done it in 7 less games however(14 vs. 23).

Yep I read Minshew wanted to devote more time to family concerns. Bama certainly has edge geographically. But Tua is pretty well cemented as starter.
Gardner Minshew withdraws from ECU to devote attention to family

Chryst was 4-star #2 Pro-style.
Minshew 3-Star #7 Pro.

Chryst started 13 games in P5. Minshew 4 games in G5. YDS/TDs/INTs/Comp percent about the same. Minshew has done it in 7 less games however(14 vs. 23).

I also read Minshew wants to get into coaching so playing for Saban could help him with that down the road. Regardless of who we add it definitely shows JP's last of trust in JG and McBride and their ability to fit into a non spread offense. I've seen posters say it doesn't matter the offense but coach's who do it for a living say much differently. We honestly don't know how JG or McBride will do with great coaching and a completely new offense but right now every QB that ends up here will have a legitimate chance to start. Plus we also don't know if JG or McBride can handle the new style of coaching and if they want to play in a new offense. One could very easily transfer after Spring Practice. That's really why I'm shocked QD didn't Atleast wait till after spring practice.

Hell I'm From TN and spent most of my life there, so this makes no sense. Only point I'm making that seems to continue confusing you is we don't have a proven QB on our current roster. JG or McBride could flourish under this staff and offense, but it's far from a guarantee. Plus Coach's tend to trust their instinct's and like using their guys if there are a bunch of unknowns. I could care less who starts, I trust our Coach's evaluations and decisions. If they are going after this guy and Chryst,then they believe they can play. But with the horrible coaching and lack of player development from the last staff we don't know what we have and don't have. Anyone on here who thinks they have the answers or knows better than our Coach's, then you might need to get checked for narcissism. It's treatable, but you gotta make the first step brother!!

You have some good points buried in your personal garbage. And dial down the amateur psychoanalysis. If they take a flier on either graduate transfer it won’t be because it’s THEIR GUY. It’s a flier. Point where I’ve said personally (and seriously) that I know the answers more than the coaches. That’s your own straw man that you keep projecting. Get better at this stuff...BROTHER. :)

I posted this in another thread, but......

Minshew has a Juco NC and 460 yrds against Houston....better resume than any qb on the roster now..

I posted this in another thread, but......

Minshew has a Juco NC and 460 yrds against Houston....better resume than any qb on the roster now..

Only because Guarantano didn’t have to go to JUCO...bet he’d of won :victory: And did ECU WIN that game against Houston? If not, I equate it to Guarantano against Kentucky.

Reactions: 2 people
Only because Guarantano didn’t have to go to JUCO...bet he’d of won :victory: And did ECU WIN that game against Houston? If not, I equate it to Guarantano against Kentucky.

I'm not saying this guy is an answer,........don't get me wrong. i still think JG can be real good.

coaches just trying to hedge their bets in case of injuries, which is a definite concern...think they know they may not get the next Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, or Superman, but the team does need another QB, quickly...:):)

GO VOLS!

How so? Most want the best to play and if he's the best then 98% of VN will be cheering for his success

Maybe the “most”, but there are plenty in here who have 100% written Guarantano completely off and want somebody, anybody other than him to take that first snap in the fall.

Maybe the “most”, but there are plenty in here who have 100% written Guarantano completely off and want somebody, anybody other than him to take that first snap in the fall.

I am one of the ones that has completely written off every quarterback that played last year.

I also don’t see much from the crop of grad transfers.

I’m hoping for a miracle awakening by somebody or a Greg McElroy style offense full of lots of handoffs.

VN Store

Back