Chicago Loyola being picked over Tennessee all over the place

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
What is going on? I just looked at about 50 different "expert" bracket selections and 95% of them have us winning easily over Wright State in the first round. However, in the round of 32, I estimate that at LEAST a third and maybe even up to a half of them have Chicago Loyola beating us and going to the sweet 16 instead of us.

I know nohing about them. What do you guys think? Do you agree that CLoyola has the advantage over us? Are you scared of them? Are they likely to win or are these experts all hopping on the bandwagon and picking the "sexy" pick this year?

They beat Florida this year. They can play. We should beat them if we see them, but we'll have to do much more than just show up.

Reactions: 1 person
If we bring our in your face defense, we'll handle them. It's all about can we handle the big stage and play defense.

If we're being honest, every team we'll play in the tournament is capable of beating us on a bad night and we're capable of beating every team we'll play on a good night. We beat Purdue, Kentucky x2, and hung in with UNC till the end. We also lost to Georgia and got clobbered by Bama. I think that's pretty good evidence that we're capable of beating some of the best teams, but also capable of having some rotten games.

Chicago Loyola is underrated, so I can't blame the pundits for picking them to make the Sweet 16. We've done much better than I ever anticipated this season, so I'm happy for our guys regardless. I hope they go out and have fun --- play like they have nothing to lose. If we reel off a few wins, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
We can lose to the friendsville falcons if we don't bring our intensity and our brand of in your face D.

Yeah, one analyst said we would make the FF if we get by Loyola, so they must be the real deal... hate to play them at the end of an 8-day stretch where we will have played 5 tourney games...

They like to play zone a lot. If we get cold from
Outside and struggle to pass inside or split the zone we will lose.

1 - Florida had lost 2 games back to back in Duke and FSU in Dec before playing them
2 - Florida was cold from the arc with 2-19 of 3 pointers .

We can lose to the friendsville falcons if we don't bring our intensity and our brand of in your face D.

If Friendsville was still a HS, and still has the same type of coach? They were disciplined enough that they could hang with a few college teams in a good year. Bad analogy.

Loyola has won 10 games in a row. They haven't lost in Feb. or March. According to ESPN, Miami is by far the most likely team to be upset in the field.

Here's a nice breakdown of Loyola.

they rank 45th in assists per game. This means a heavy bulk of their scoring is coming off of ball-movement. The play designs aren’t revolutionary, but the Ramblers do generate a ton of open looks. Their offense is centered on spacing and constant movement, and features guard-heavy lineups. In fact, they start four guards and one big.

Studying the Opponent: Breaking down the Loyola-Chicago offense - State of The U

Reactions: 2 people
Loyola has won 10 games in a row. They haven't lost in Feb. or March. According to ESPN, Miami is by far the most likely team to be upset in the field.

Here's a nice breakdown of Loyola.

Studying the Opponent: Breaking down the Loyola-Chicago offense - State of The U

Tennessee is 43rd in assists per game.. so that doesn’t matter. The real reason why they play 4 guards is because they play a ton of zone. Guards are instinctively better in defending passing and driving lanes cause of their quick speed.

It’s kind of the Barnes mentality... Play really good defense and the offense will come naturally.
They get steals because it’s hard to pass inside a defensive zone.

I actually think Barnes will tell our players to be a fast team.. meaning once we get a rebound our big guys will sprint. A defense zone team won’t think man to man but an area first. You get a shot before they set up zone and you’ll win those battles

Reactions: 5 people
They like to play zone a lot. If we get cold from
Outside and struggle to pass inside or split the zone we will lose.

1 - Florida had lost 2 games back to back in Duke and FSU in Dec before playing them
2 - Florida was cold from the arc with 2-19 of 3 pointers .

If they play a lot of zone, Tennessee should be ok. Tennessee has done well against zone defenses this year.

I think if Tennessee does not play tight, they will make the sweet 16 easily.

The more this is discussed nationally, the less likely they are to sneak up on anyone. At this point, if they were to beat Tennessee, it's because Tennessee just refused to heed the warnings and didn't show up. I feel like Barnes will have his guys ready for both matchups.

If they play a lot of zone, Tennessee should be ok. Tennessee has done well against zone defenses this year.

I think if Tennessee does not play tight, they will make the sweet 16 easily.

Tennessee had better learn how to inbound the ball when being pressed. We have had big problems with turnovers trying to inbound the ball under pressure and everyone has seen this problem. Coach them up and we win that game.

Coach Barnes knows about them...good team...he'll try to get us ready, but, Wright State is first...:)

GBO!

When are people going to realize March Madness is a crapshoot? They call it Madness for a reason. It’s UNPREDICTABLE.

When are people going to realize March Madness is a crapshoot? They call it Madness for a reason. It’s UNPREDICTABLE.

We know that. But there will always be a few that get huffy if everyone predicting doesn't try to kiss our big oranges asses.

If we bring our in your face defense, we'll handle them. It's all about can we handle the big stage and play defense.

All about US handling the big stage!! What about them? I would think the stage we have played on this year is bigger than the one they have been on.

The defense as everyone has eluded too will be key in this game. I have Tennessee playing Cincinnati, so I think we will beat them (Loyola-Chicago), but its going to be a tough game. Most teams have trouble matching up with Tennessee's level of physicality which is why Tennessee will likely win this one.

VN Store

Back