Are we going to have anyone in the draft?

HooahVol

It looks like we are, yet again, not going to hear our school announced tomorrow. Our only real options this year are defensive back Rashaan Gaulden, running back John Kelly and defensive linemen Kahlil McKenzie Jr. Gaulden is probably the most likely to get called but it won't be in the first round for sure.

This actually brings up another big criticism of Butch's time at UT. We all agree he was a great recruiter and was able to bring in 5 star guys like McKenzie but it never really seemed they were developed much. I know Barnett is the exception but that guy is so gifted he was going to be in the pros at any school. Hopefully under Pruitt we start seeing Tennessee announced again at these things. We need to be able to sell recruits that we can get them to the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
To address your second point first, we can bash Butch for not developing some of the 5* talent into pro prospects absolutely, but nobody ever blames the kid himself. That's always a two way street. It was obvious McKenzie was a little overrated from the get go. He never made a big impact on the field, and had issues staying healthy. If you look at all the previous ESPNU top150s, it's pretty alarming how many top 50 guys not only don't make it to the NFL, but don't even develop into all conference impact performers in college. Butch has some blame here, but so do the players themselves. Just my opinion.

And yes. Gaulden is probably a 3-4rd pick. Kelly may sneak into day two but probably a day 3 pick. Ethan Wolf I think will get drafted, and that's about it.

Reactions: 2 people
I see your point. Maybe that is what Pruitt is trying to address with some of his recent comments. He wants players that are going to give their all and will not tolerate slackers. Sounds good to me.

Enough with the "Butch was a great recruiter". He took advantage of recruiting tailwinds (legacies, significant uptick instate talent, coaching transitions at UGA/UF, open schollys, etc.) When those tailwinds disappeared, he recruited at a middle of the pack SEC level, as evidenced by his last 2 recruiting classes.

There were very few players that we beat Bama out for unless they were a legacy/in-state kid.

Reactions: 7 people
We shall see Hawkeye. I think a lot of Pruitt's comments are just blunt honesty from a guy who's been apart of 5 National Championship runs as an assistant. He's coached some GREAT players. That '13 Florida State team, those 2 georgia teams and obviously his stints at Bama.. He knows what it's going to take. He's played against us for four years, I think a guy in his shoes knows the gap we need to fill to get to where we want to be.

Reactions: 3 people
To address your second point first, we can bash Butch for not developing some of the 5* talent into pro prospects absolutely, but nobody ever blames the kid himself. That's always a two way street. It was obvious McKenzie was a little overrated from the get go. He never made a big impact on the field, and had issues staying healthy. If you look at all the previous ESPNU top150s, it's pretty alarming how many top 50 guys not only don't make it to the NFL, but don't even develop into all conference impact performers in college. Butch has some blame here, but so do the players themselves. Just my opinion.

And yes. Gaulden is probably a 3-4rd pick. Kelly may sneak into day two but probably a day 3 pick. Ethan Wolf I think will get drafted, and that's about it.

MacKenzie got off track when they moved outta Green Bay. He got ruled ineligible his senior year in California, had a medical procedure, and gained a bunch of excess weight. By the time he got here, Butch was just getting started at fouling up the S&C program, so it took almost three years for Kahlil to get in the shape he is now.

No it wasn't all on Butch, but he took one of the best DT prospects in that class, and made him seem average.

Mckenzie has already been drafted by the raiders lol so yea you'll hear a vols name, I assure you.

Mckenzie has already been drafted by the raiders lol so yea you'll hear a vols name, I assure you.

I guess when your dad is the GM it is kind of a sure thing. I still think it will be 3rd round at the earliest though.

MacKenzie got off track when they moved outta Green Bay. He got ruled ineligible his senior year in California, had a medical procedure, and gained a bunch of excess weight. By the time he got here, Butch was just getting started at fouling up the S&C program, so it took almost three years for Kahlil to get in the shape he is now.

No it wasn't all on Butch, but he took one of the best DT prospects in that class, and made him seem average.

BS.. McKenzie based on his size and strength should been unmovable with of without coaching, and yet was blown off the ball routinely.

Reactions: 3 people
It's gonna be awhile before we have another first round pick, unless Callaway is a first team SEC-er next year. Gaulden goes in the 3rd, Kelly goes in the 5th, and Ethan Wolf will make a team somewhere after going undrafted.

He had size, but not playing your senior year killed him from a physical standpoint, didn't he come to UT at like 350-360lbs? That is way too big for a lineman that isn't over 6'8 or 6'9.

That move from Green Bay when he was 15 or 16 and then him missing his senior season is so overblown and was inconsequential to his college career it’s ridiculous. The kid had 3 full seasons at Tennessee, 3 full seasons to commit himself to getting in great shape, reaching his considerable potential and becoming a very good football player and he ultimately just posed it away. Just heard Brent Hubbs just imply as much on the radio here in Nashville. The dude couldn’t even crack the starting lineup until his junior year, despite us having nothing at DT.

There is no doubt that KMac got poor coaching at Tennessee from the head coach on down, that’s indisputable...but so did Derek Barnett and Cam Sutton and Rashaan Gaulden, among others, and they’re all either in the nfl as a drafted player or are about to be, and none of them remotely came to UT with near the accolades and billing that McKenzie did.

Last edited:
He had size, but not playing your senior year killed him from a physical standpoint, didn't he come to UT at like 350-360lbs? That is way too big for a lineman that isn't over 6'8 or 6'9.

Dan McCullers was that big but he too played soft... Should be absolutely destroying people

USAToday just reported that former Florida receiver Antonio Callaway failed a drug test at the NFL combine, a mistake that could damage his draft status. It is nice knowing Florida is as big a mess as we are these days. I actually hate it for the kid. Tremendous talent but his entire career is marred with bad decisions. Hopefully someone can straighten him out.

USAToday just reported that former Florida receiver Antonio Callaway failed a drug test at the NFL combine, a mistake that could damage his draft status. It is nice knowing Florida is as big a mess as we are these days. I actually hate it for the kid. Tremendous talent but his entire career is marred with bad decisions. Hopefully someone can straighten him out.

I don't hate it for Amex Callaway. Life is a series of choices. He decided to be a felon and do drugs. That was HIS call.

Reactions: 2 people

Antonio Callaway is a mess, but how does that make Florida a mess? Antonio Callaway hasn’t suited-up for the Gators in two years.

Florida will have Taven Bryan go likely in the 1st round. Duke Dawson will get drafted and you’ll probably see Townsend and Piniero go in the later rounds. Guys like Marcel Harris, Brandon Powell, Nick Washington, Mark Thompson may also go in the late rounds. Plus, I’m sure someone will still draft Callaway despite the huge red flags.

Fortunately for Florida, Martez Ivey and Cece Jefferson decided to return for their senior seasons as they would have been drafted too.

Regarding Callaway, he’s incredibly talented, super fast and incredible hands. But the guy is obviously addicted to marijuana. Marijuana cut short his college career, undeterred by that, he keeps smoking it right through the Combine costing himself even more money. Dumb and addicted.

Last edited:
I don't hate it for Amex Callaway. Life is a series of choices. He decided to be a felon and do drugs. That was HIS call.

But he still will drag in over a few million over the next few year's, someone will take a chance on him in the late 3rd or early fourth like the Bengal's they go after the felon's, i guess Lewis think they are tough, there team is full of talented felon's but they never get out of the first round, most of the time caused by silly mistake, i wonder why.:ermm:

Antonio Callaway is a mess, but how does that make Florida a mess? Antonio Callaway hasn’t suited-up for the Gators in two years.

Regarding Callaway, he’s incredibly talented, super fast and incredible hands. But the guy is obviously addicted to marijuana. Marijuana cut short his college career, undeterred by that, he keeps smoking it right through the Combine costing himself even more money. Dumb and addicted.

The nine players suspended and 62 felony complaints involving credit card fraud wasn't a mess?

[/B]

BS.. McKenzie based on his size and strength should been unmovable with of without coaching, and yet was blown off the ball routinely.

You just reinforced the part you bolded. Butch had his blame in KMacs failures but KMac himself shares the blame as well. Dude got lazy in his SR year in HS, put on crap weight and lost that dominant edge he had in HS.

VN Store

Back