Pruitt's Recruiting (and lack of) in Tennessee

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Would you rather have a coach that finds the best players to fit his system and actually develops players or a coach who simply recruits based of rankings and doesn't have a clue how to develop or handle such talent.

Reactions: 7 people
Final sentence is all kinds of stupid and sums up the major flaw in the "fence" philosophy:

If I were trying to build momentum on the recruiting trail, I’d try to secure a couple of these prospects who grew up watching the home state team.

What if your home team has sucked eggs for a decade you moron?

Reactions: 2 people
I feel like the initial rankings form most of the instate guys were a little high or they haven’t progressed like the site evaluators thought.

Reactions: 1 person
Final sentence is all kinds of stupid and sums up the major flaw in the "fence" philosophy:

If I were trying to build momentum on the recruiting trail, I’d try to secure a couple of these prospects who grew up watching the home state team.

Tennessee is Tennessee. It would take 5 decades of mediocrity for people to even start to give up hope.

If only Pruitt had consulted with Blake Morgan on how to "build momentum on the recruiting trail."

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee is Tennessee. It would take 5 decades of mediocrity for people to even start to give up hope.

I know better than start a discussion with you but recruiting based off of what team kids watched growing up gets you fired in a hurry.

I know better than start a discussion with you but recruiting based off of what team kids watched growing up gets you fired in a hurry.

My point is it doesn't matter if the home team has sucked for a decade. Tennessee will always return to the top. Immortality is ours

My point is it doesn't matter if the home team has sucked for a decade. Tennessee will always return to the top. Immortality is ours

Every 17 year old on the planet has seen nothing but also-ran mediocrity or worse from Tennessee.

The 2019 class looked really good a year or two ago, but it hasn't lived up to the early hype. 2020 by all accounts is considerably better. It sounds like when December rolls around, the player rankings for the in-state guys will potentially be pretty different. For example, Woodi Washington is ranked 6th overall in the state when he may be the best prospect.

I haven't been on board with Pruitt to this point. Part of that is being snake bit by jumping straight on the bandwagon with the last 3 coaches. Then there is the part of me that can't fathom why Fulmer would even consider a Alabubba Coach. That's gotta be like kissing your sister with a dip in. Putting a lot of effort into the two 5 star corners that went to USC kinda didn't work out either. I know why he did it. It made perfect sense, until it didn't work out. I have been a little underwhelmed with recruiting in general, although they did close out the dline well last year. The Mays fiasco was not a high point either.

But sitting back watching the tea leaves, Morris is big time if he commits. Lampley is one of the best players in the state at a position of need. I think a Morris commit leads to a Wright commit. Then we are getting close to just needing to build depth on the offensive line. It looks like we are after the right size dlineman. Crouch is seriously looking at us now. Wilhoite is a real option now, along with Curry, and a possible commitment with Keyton. I am impressed that they are cherry picking the state with evaluations that match their scheme. All these guys have done an about face in the last few weeks after getting to know coaches, seeing how practices are run, and the Orange and White game. Three worrisome areas that I haven't seen a bunch on, would be a stud back if Crouch plays lb, secondary, and linebacker.

We still have enough talent to win against lower tier SEC teams. If the stars align and we somehow go into the Georgia game 4-0 with a solid showing in the following 3 games, ie not being blown out by anybody, I think recruiting will blow up with top tier names. If the season plays out like that, kids will see talent being coached up, and a quick turn around at UT by a competent staff. Then I think you could see kids like Clay Webb, Pappoe, and Bogle heat up late in the fall. The groundwork has been put in well for this staff, and they're definitely downplaying this season. Heaven help us if Harrison Bailey decided on us this summer. That would be a game changer as well. It all looks possible at this point.

Sorry for the long post. I could be 100% full of ****. I just had to get the negavol off my chest. I just hope Pruitt doesn't stir up the Legion of the Miserable with another call out like he did at the Orange and White game. I would love to see a coaching staff be supported by that side of the fan base again.

I'd also add that Butch artificially built "recruiting momentum" by taking a number of players in the early spring/summer that were, at best, highly questionable in terms of SEC talent, whom he later cut. Obviously, it didn't work out.

Really? So you're discounting Pruitt based, in part, on the fact that he coached at a rival school? That's...special.

How old are you? You're not going to understand that if you're under the age of 30. We were actually raised to hate everything Alabubba. You couldn't even whisper that word in my house growing up. Then the divisions and Steve Spurrier came along and put Floriduh right there with them. I don't give 2 craps if you don't understand it. My skirt doesn't blow up in my Millenial Face all the time.

Get the best players from our home state if possible. Otherwise sign studs from surrounding hotbeds like GA, FL etc.

How old are you? You're not going to understand that if you're under the age of 30. We were actually raised to hate everything Alabubba. You couldn't even whisper that word in my house growing up. Then the divisions and Steve Spurrier came along and put Floriduh right there with them. I don't give 2 craps if you don't understand it. My skirt doesn't blow up in my Millenial Face all the time.

I almost did not read past the first paragraph as I did not agree. But I thought,overall, it was a concise assessment of the situation we find ourselves in and gave you a like. Pruitt seems to be a good choice for where we find ourselves. He has an uphill battle with our current station coming off our worst season ever. He's from a hated rival...fighting an unsupportive, manipulating administration and a burnt out, dejected fan base...many of whom will show little to no patience for a long rebuild. I think he can do it if we allow it...and he don't get Ham-slammed. If he can get recruiting started with some big wins early... it'll be on like Donkey Kong...Aight!

Reactions: 2 people
CJP wants the best that fits his system whether they are instate or out of state. He'll go to daggum Australia for an Aussy Rules player and coach him up on our rules if he can play.

VN Store

Back