Why is Brandon Johnson always overlooked?

greazy1722

Hey guys.. Im just curious after 2 seasons playing at UT why is Brandon Johnson so overlooked by the media and some of the fan base? Whatever answer u give I want be offended. Im just curious. Give me ur honest assessment. I've been dying to ask this question. Thanks

Reactions: 3 people
Hey guys.. Im just curious after 2 seasons playing at UT why is Brandon Johnson so overlooked by the media and some of the fan base? Whatever answer u give I want be offended. Im just curious. Give me ur honest assessment. I've been dying to ask this question. Thanks

Well Brandon...

Reactions: 9 people
Brandon is a talented young man, and a solid teammate.

I don't think anyone is actually overlooking him.

The one thing Brandon hasn't yet had that Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway have, is the home run play. Like Jauan's sideline catch for a TD vs Florida, or his hail mary reception against UGa. Like Marquez' punt return for a TD against Tenn Tech, or his 2-TD night against Georgia Tech.

Brandon had a game kind of like that against UMass, but it was UMass...and we went on to pretty much tank the season, making the whole campaign forgettable.

So don't despair, man, he's a very good receiver. He just hasn't yet had the eye-popping, "pick up the team and carry them on my back to victory against a key rival" kind of game some of our other lads have.

Here's hoping this season, he will.

Go Vols!

EDIT: corrected error in original post, thanks to VOLnVandyland for catching it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people

The one thing Brandon hasn't yet had that Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway have, is the home run play. Like Jauan's sideline catch for a TD vs Florida, or his hail mary reception against UGa. Like Marquez' punt return for a TD against Georgia, or his 2-TD night against Georgia Tech.

Brandon had a game kind of like that against UMass, but it was UMass...and we went on to pretty much tank the season, making the whole campaign forgettable.

So don't despair, man, he's a very good receiver. He just hasn't yet had the eye-popping, "pick up the team and carry them on my back to victory against a key rival" kind of game some of our other lads have.

Go Vols!

Thanks for your honest assessment. I agree with you. Butch never dialed up any homerun plays for him last season. I hated the way they used him last season, but I was greatful that he got a opportunity. They didnt dial up any home run plays for him. When they get inside the 20 they always take him out and i never understood that. This a new staff so lets see what happens.

The one thing Brandon hasn't yet had that Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway have, is the home run play. Like Jauan's sideline catch for a TD vs Florida, or his hail mary reception against UGa. Like Marquez' punt return for a TD against Georgia, or his 2-TD night against Georgia Tech.

Go Vols!

When did Callaway return a punt for TD against UGa? I turned off last years UGa game after getting highly intoxicated by the 2nd quarter but I'm pretty sure we were shut out ...

Reactions: 2 people

Probably because of crazy family members.....

In all seriousness, we were 0-8 last year, went nearly a month without scoring an offensive TD, ran a JV middle school offense, and had an OLine that couldn't block a Sun Belt team. Hard to get recognition that way.

Reactions: 5 people
Thanks for your honest assessment. I agree with you. Butch never dialed up any homerun plays for him last season. I hated the way they used him last season, but I was greatful that he got a opportunity. They didnt dial up any home run plays for him. When they get inside the 20 they always take him out and i never understood that. This a new staff so lets see what happens.

Was he our "move the chains" reciever?

Seems like they kept him off the radar by not going to him very often.

2017 was a tough year. I expect better days in 2018.

Reactions: 1 person
When did Callaway return a punt for TD against UGa? I turned off last years UGa game after getting highly intoxicated by the 2nd quarter but I'm pretty sure we were shut out ...

The years tend to run together, heh, but I think it was year before last. We won, so definitely not last year.

EDIT: just looked it up -- my bad, it was two years back, but it was against Tennessee Tech rather than Georgia. Here's a link to a clip of it:

M. Callaway returns punt for 62 yds for a TD - ESPN Video

Last edited:
Brandon is a slot guy.... Nothing wrong with that... I do think he can be a solid Z option. He has fluid hips and I'm sure his 3 cone drill time is good. I didn't see elite speed but he is a crisp route runner and attacks the ball. If I was him with his frame, I would tell him to gain weight and learn to use his body to leverage the ball... Honestly, he just needs to capatilize on his opportunities. Don't complain, don't be bitter, just work.

Brandon is a slot guy.... Nothing wrong with that... I do think he can be a solid Z option. He has fluid hips and I'm sure his 3 cone drill time is good. I didn't see elite speed but he is a crisp route runner and attacks the ball. If I was him with his frame, I would tell him to gain weight and learn to use his body to leverage the ball... Honestly, he just needs to capatilize on his opportunities. Don't complain, don't be bitter, just work.

To be honest I hate the fact that he plays slot because I know if he goes to the next level thats not position he is playing...

He has spent two years under Butch Jones. Who is notoriously famous for not knowing how to utilize talent. Brandon has talent. I think CJP and his staff are gong to maximize that talent.

Reactions: 6 people
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve read plenty about him being one of the top receivers in spring practice. That doesn’t sound overlooked to me.

Well he's only had one truly solid (in terms of how our season went) season. So he's underrated compared to Callaway and JJ but we don't really know until we had solid QB play.

What, specifically, has he done to be recognized? You can't be overlooked unless there is some compelling reason to look at you in the first place.

Reactions: 2 people
The offense was a disaster last season and Dobbs and the running game was the focal point the season before.

Hard for any receivers to truly stand out in those circumstances.

He is basically a 3rd down possession receiver, so not a guy they are going to use in fly or deep post routes too often. His strength is he is a guy who can get open quickly on short to medium routes to pick up 3rd downs.

There are only so many offensive plays in a game. Mostly with the previous staff, they relied heavily on the run game as we had marquee players there. To which we now know one was a prima donna to a certain extent and to the point the more talented RB did not tote the rock as much as he should have. So with a limited amount of passes going down the field as a fan base and even as a staff you tend to target receivers hopefully because they are open but mostly because how productive are they when the rock does come their way. Brandon is a good player and hopefully the new staff will target him more and he;ll become even more productive.

Exposed yourself

He is basically a 3rd down possession receiver, so not a guy they are going to use in fly or deep post routes too often. His strength is he is a guy who can get open quickly on short to medium routes to pick up 3rd downs.

Disagree with this assessment Brandon can run every route in the play book..It just don't make sense he led the team in catches..Had 10 more catches than Callaway and yards ..He deserves a lil more cred..He may not be the fastest but he always open..

VN Store

Back