Five Vols on Athlon Sports All-SEC team

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This was from a few days ago, but I hadn't seen it posted. Thoughts? Fair?

Ty Chandler - 4th team RB
Jauan Jennings - 4th team WR
Trey Smith - 1st team OL
Nigel Warrior - 3rd team S
Marquez Calloway - 4th team PR

SEC Football 2018 All-Conference Team

Reactions: 2 people
Doesn’t that seem a bit odd or is it just my memory failing me that when we were having success it was hard for us to get players named to these teams but we go 4-8 and have five named . Maybe it’s just my “ everybody hates us “ recollection and yes I was too lazy to try and google it all .

No one hates any team that’s been as crappy as we have been for the past 10 years. Doesn’t mean they like us.

Reactions: 1 person
Some seem stretches and others might be low. I guess that's another reason to play the season.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Trey Smith - 1st team OL

I'd say that's about right. I just hope Trey can come back healthy and be right.

4th team = participation award

Nope.

There are 14 teams in the SEC. Each of those teams has a first string, second string, a third string in most position groups, and additional players beyond that.

That's at least 42 squads of players.

So when Athlon or another site chooses up to 4 teams worth of stand-out players, they're picking the top 10% of the conference for each position.

Being 4th-best isn't as good as being 1st-best, sure. But it's not a participation trophy, either.

Another way of looking at it:

Lads who make 1st and 2nd team would start or be in the two-deep of any team in the conference.

Lads who make 3rd and 4th team would start for most teams, though not all.

Don't sell the recognition short. It's not a Heisman trophy, but it's not a participation trophy, either.

Reactions: 13 people
Nope.

There are 14 teams in the SEC. Each of those teams has a first string, second string, a third string in most position groups, and additional players beyond that.

That's at least 42 squads of players.

So when Athlon or another site chooses up to 4 teams worth of stand-out players, they're picking the top 10% of the conference for each position.

Being 4th-best isn't as good as being 1st-best, sure. But it's not a participation trophy, either.

Another way of looking at it:

Lads who make 1st and 2nd team would start or be in the two-deep of any team in the conference.

Lads who make 3rd and 4th team would start for most teams, though not all.

Don't sell the recognition short. It's not a Heisman trophy, but it's not a participation trophy, either.

:eek:k:

These preseason rankings and accolades are usually more wrong than right,,,,but if some of our guys do end up on these teams,whether 1st or 4th team it's an improvement over the last few years. I see that as a good thing,call me crazy.

These preseason rankings and accolades are usually more wrong than right,,,,but if some of our guys do end up on these teams,whether 1st or 4th team it's an improvement over the last few years. I see that as a good thing,call me crazy.

Agreed, MC.

What amazes me is that Bama doesn't vastly dominate all four SEC teams. A team stuffed with 5* and 4* players, who has 5*s sitting on the bench each year, whose third string would supposedly start for just about every other team in the conference...why aren't there 30 or 40 Bama players in these lists?

Think that's probably because the sports writers for Athlon (and all the other sports pages, not picking just on Athlon) don't really know the players unless they get the fame and attention from starting.

So, many of the back-ups on the best teams are being overlooked in favor of the starters for also-ran teams.

This benefits teams like Kentucky, Vandy, and--yes, for now--Tennessee when these lists are produced.

*shrug* It's a weakness in the methodology, and an indicator of the lack of real, in-depth knowledge of the sports writers.

Trey Smith - 1st team OL

And yet the only one that could start for Bama is Trey Smith if he's healthy.

Pruitt must upgrade UT's roster if he is going to win the East and play for the SECCG.

And yet the only one that could start for Bama is Trey Smith if he's healthy.

Pruitt must upgrade UT's roster if he is going to win the East and play for the SECCG.

Actually, Gunner, according to Athlon, Jauan Jennings and Nigel Warrior would also start at Bama. Because there is no Bama player mentioned ahead of them on the 1st through 3rd teams.

We can agree or disagree with Athlon's assessment, but that's what they're saying.

That doesn't disagree in any way with your main point. We must indeed gather much more talent if we're to get back to championship football.

Surprised Bituli didn't make it. As per quarterbacks, those two plus Auburn, BG, and SC could be thrown into a hat at this point and any two would make as much sense as any other pair. Ultimately it might not be any of them, but those two seem as credible as the other options to me right now.

Trey Smith - 1st team OL

MY take on the SEC all conference.

1). How does Tua make 1st team? He's play 1/2 of 1 game. Hell he doesn't even starter on his on team yet the current start isn't in the top 4?

2). Juan listed at TE 4th string?

3). Trey Smith 1st team and we aren't sure if he will ever play again?

4). Georgia has the most players and Kirby's only going into year 3. Hope JP follows this path!

:thud:

VN Store

Back