Jabari Davis Sez Pruitt's Top Priority Should be Improving Conditioning

Likely linked to Butch not understanding what conditioning in the SEC meant when be made the quantum leap from Cincinnati. Cost him dearly.

Reactions: 4 people
Likely linked to Butch not understanding what conditioning in the SEC meant when be made the quantum leap from Cincinnati. Cost him dearly.

The word "quantum" does not mean "very large," which is what I think you are trying to convey here. In this context it would mean "minimal" or "very small."

Reactions: 2 people
It's kind of strange that there wasn't any improvement last year with Rock Gullickson. He had an impressive resume. Chalk it up to Butch?

The word "quantum" does not mean "very large," which is what I think you are trying to convey here. In this context it would mean "minimal" or "very small."

Nope. In this context, quantum does mean very large. Cincinnati to Tennessee is a huge jump up in everything when it comes to coaching college football.

Reactions: 12 people
Nope. In this context, quantum does mean very large. Cincinnati to Tennessee is a huge jump up in everything when it comes to coaching college football.

Quantum, by definition, cannot mean “very large” no matter the context.

quantum definition per Cambridge Dictionary....
(physics)the smallest amount of energy that can be measured

Quantum definition per Merriam-Webster....
one of the very small increments or parcels into which many forms of energy are subdivided

Reactions: 6 people
That 2016 squad could have won the SEC with the proper strength and conditioning. Butch ended up making Dooley look competent by comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm really curious to see just how much the injuries will fall this season now that we have a legit SEC staff

Reactions: 1 person
Quantum, by definition, cannot mean “very large” no matter the context.

quantum definition per Cambridge Dictionary....
(physics)the smallest amount of energy that can be measured

Quantum definition per Merriam-Webster....
one of the very small increments or parcels into which many forms of energy are subdivided

Per M-W online dictionary, when used as an adjective, quantum can mean large or significant. They give a use of quantum improvement.

Reactions: 8 people
I think it's being taken care of...

FCXiRX50.jpg

Reactions: 9 people
It almost can't help but be better. I can't remember a stretch where we have been decimated by the injury bug so many years in a row.

Reactions: 3 people

It absolutely can, and often does, mean "very large." Or, more precisely, "very significant, dramatic change."

A quantum jump, or quantum leap is, in physics, "an abrupt transition of an electron, atom, or molecule from one quantum state to another, with the absorption or emission of a quantum."

The emphasis is on abrupt transition ... sudden, dramatic change.

That doesn't necessarily mean "large," but in a non-physics, idiomatic, context it can certainly imply it. In spite of quantum mechanics being the world of the very small, the idiom really has nothing to do with the idea of "small."

p.s. KB, you were right about "quantum," but wrong about the phrase "quantum leap" or "quantum jump." Totally separate ideas, especially when applied idiomatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Just an FYI,

quan·tum jump
noun
noun: quantum leap
PHYSICS
an abrupt transition of an electron, atom, or molecule from one quantum state to another, with the absorption or emission of a quantum.
a huge, often sudden, increase or change in something.
"the quantum jump in Jamie's grades this semester are extremely encouraging"

If you miss a workout you run with me at 6a
If you miss a meal you run with me at 6a
So you’ll be tired and hungry

I think Tennessee will be fine

Just an FYI,

quan·tum jump
noun
noun: quantum leap
PHYSICS
an abrupt transition of an electron, atom, or molecule from one quantum state to another, with the absorption or emission of a quantum.
a huge, often sudden, increase or change in something.
"the quantum jump in Jamie's grades this semester are extremely encouraging"

Let me check with Ziggy and confirm...

Ok... I agree with both sides of the discussion regarding quantum. In the context used, I was suggesting the Butch made a significant leap when he entered the SEC conference. This is an acceptable use of the term quantum leap.

As well, a quantum (as I was taught) is a certain measure of input to induce a change from one state to another. One simple example used was buying a candy bar from a vending machine... that purchase requires a quantum of money to release the candy bar. So... here a quantum can be very small or quite large.

Anyway... Butchie found himself in a world of hurt when he took his lame azz road show to UT.

I don't care how fancy they talk to impress you. Never take your car to one of those "quantum" mechanics for repair. They'll just tell you the problem is too small to see without using a microscope and then leave you a bill too big to pay without a job using a stethoscope.

Reactions: 2 people
The article references Johnny Long. I don't remember Johnny Long being that popular during that time. Many blamed him for the rash of injuries that happened several times during his tenure. I also remember some former players from the 90's hinting "his reps over weight philosophy" as a possible reason for some of the decline.

Everyone is hiring their version of Scott Cohran. Go look at Georgia Oregon and Florida etc.. watch those guys. Maybe Fitz has something different. I know Georgia has something in S&C now just look at them.

VN Store

Back