Very encouraging quote

majic73

This is very encouraging , quoted from lane . To many times coaches try to force fit the wrong personell into the wrong systems ( see CLAWFENCE , Michigan comes to mind too ) This tells me alot about our coaches ( Dave Cutcliffe always did good at matching players to scheme )

"We won’t say exactly what it is because I don’t know. That has to do with our players. I don’t try to fit something in where it doesn’t fit. We’ll fit it to our players. We’ll do whatever we do best. I don’t know what that will be.

There will be times where we could run it 40 times in a game and times where we could throw it 40 times a game. We’ll do whatever it takes to win. We won’t be stubborn and do something that our players don’t do extremely well.

And on defense, we’ll be very physical."

Chaney ( i think) talked about changing the gameplan around the weakest player on the oppositions D. Find the weakness and hit it hard. Bad line = all day run game, bad Lb's = quick slants, bad Db's go deep. I love it. Not the same as past where we did the same thing everygame.

We have guys with NFL experience and NFL mentalities. Wonder if it will work on the college level. The adaptability of pro players is one thing, but when you are working with college athletes who are learning the game/fundamentals, it maybe tougher.

I have faith that our staff know what the heck they are doing.

Thats true but most of our coaches with NFL experience also coached in college. I believe that this will help us in the long run. It will allow them to know what to expect out of a college kid but push them at a pro level. I do not think we will be great until we get 2-3 years of this group of coachs recruiting. O-line is terrible and so is our selection for QB. I think they should drop JC and go with BC. Atleast that way if we aren't that great he still has another year to get great and also show the new freshman we get the ropes.

I was thinking about how Coach Cutt coached . When he had manning and receivers , it was pretty wide open , long passes . When Manning had weakness in the Oline , Cutt used a rolling pocket to offset defenses . When he had T and Henry ...pound the ball , short passes . He did a good job hiding the weakness in 06 as well .

That is what I like about the quote , that the coaches intend to play to their strengths ...and not go in a say , hey these guys just can't do it like Reggie and Matt .

I was thinking about how Coach Cutt coached . When he had manning and receivers , it was pretty wide open , long passes . When Manning had weakness in the Oline , Cutt used a rolling pocket to offset defenses . When he had T and Henry ...pound the ball , short passes . He did a good job hiding the weakness in 06 as well .

That is what I like about the quote , that the coaches intend to play to their strengths ...and not go in a say , hey these guys just can't do it like Reggie and Matt .

I guess UF never had any weaknesses in the 90's

I guess UF never had any weaknesses in the 90's

We didn't lose to Florida during the 90's because of lack of offense. We lost because Spurrier picked Frito Bandito's defense apart every time. We had a 30-14 lead on them one time and the gators came back and scored 48 straight points. I wouldnt' exactly blame that on coach Cutcliffe.

Oh, and because Florida had some pretty darn good teams during that time! :)

We didn't lose to Florida during the 90's because of lack of offense. We lost because Spurrier picked Frito Bandito's defense apart every time. We had a 30-14 lead on them one time and the gators came back and scored 48 straight points. I wouldnt' exactly blame that on coach Cutcliffe.

pretty sure I sat and watched in the rain as UT put up a big goose egg. The offense never looked prepared to play UF

I agree ...400 yards of O is not bad . UT did not start competing against UF until they watched LSU beat them by manning up and rushing the passer . Then UT got outta that dime package and went to man cover and rush blitz , rush blitz . This happened in 1998 ...
Good call BV

Scheming to our strength.....what a refreshing coaching philosophy. We havent experienced that in quite some time.

pretty sure I sat and watched in the rain as UT put up a big goose egg. The offense never looked prepared to play UF

That is silly to say out loud...makes me wonder if you ever watched the games??

The goose egg you are talking about happened in 1994 . In I think the opener against UCLA , UT lost their starting QB Jerry Colquitt . Todd Helton became the starter and was injured early in the game . They put a freshman QB in , Peyton Manning , who had mixed success in his first real playing action . Hard to hang that turn of events on any OC .

95 - the O did fine . Wuerful scorched the D that gave up a 16 point lead . Fans and media wanted Chavis fired .

throughout the 90's UT's O put up between 20 and 30 points a game. Chavis always employed a cover package ..a dime or a nickel that was picked apart . In 1998 , after LSU had pulled it off . Chavis , along with everyone else in the SEC , started man covering and sending the house . Spurrier offenses do not keep enough blockers home ( one of the reasons he failed in the NFL ) UT at that point started winning and competing with Spurrier led UF teams .

Again , offense ok against UF in the 90's ...defense sucked.

I was at most of the games during that stretch (home and away). The cries for Cut's head were just as loud, if not louder, than the the ones for Chavis. Without Archie and Olivia, Cut is still trying to find a HC job

I was at most of the games during that stretch (home and away). The cries for Cut's head were just as loud, if not louder, than the the ones for Chavis. Without Archie and Olivia, Cut is still trying to find a HC job

This/+1...

:lol:

This is very encouraging , quoted from lane . To many times coaches try to force fit the wrong personell into the wrong systems ( see CLAWFENCE , Michigan comes to mind too ) This tells me alot about our coaches ( Dave Cutcliffe always did good at matching players to scheme )

"We won’t say exactly what it is because I don’t know. That has to do with our players. I don’t try to fit something in where it doesn’t fit. We’ll fit it to our players. We’ll do whatever we do best. I don’t know what that will be.

quote]

Hate to burst your bubble, but Dave Clawson said almost the exact same thing last year.

I always thought it was Nebraska's thrashing of Florida that made Chavie Wavie wake up and smell the roses. Both Chavis and Cutcliffe were pretty unpopular at times in the mid 90s. Remember WR screens to Benji Shuler over and over again?

quote]

Hate to burst your bubble, but Dave Clawson said almost the exact same thing last year.[/QUOTE]

Bubble intact ...Clawson came from pee wee ball with a scheme that takes 3-4 years to implement. Lane and his coaching staff have all had success , extreme success in some cases , at various levels of college and the NFL .

The best predictor of future success ?? Past success .
There is past success all over this coaching staff .

I take CLK's comments a bit more seriously .

I agree. These guys have won it all. They have accomplished everything you can possibly accomplish in football as coaches. Dave Clawson was a smart up and coming coach, but only accomplished achievements on a small stage. We have a staff that have coached future HOF players in the NFL, one coach will be in the HOF, they have won a Superbowl and MANY NC!!! Shoot lane has even coached an offense that was one of the most productive in NCAA history. What they say, you should listen too them.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back