Three years from now, Robert Ayers...

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
...will be the best defensive player in this draft according to Mike Mayock.

Strong words.

I heard an analyst yesterday saying that Ayers might be the steal of the draft because our defense schemed away from his strengths due to personnel limitations. I'm happy for the guy, but every time I hear something like this I wonder "Is that OUR Robert Ayers they are talking about?"

I heard an analyst yesterday saying that Ayers might be the steal of the draft because our defense schemed away from his strengths due to personnel limitations. I'm happy for the guy, but every time I hear something like this I wonder "Is that OUR Robert Ayers they are talking about?"

It's amazing how quickly things have turned for him.

Who in recent years is the opposite of Robert Ayers? Jon Heffney maybe?

Rashad Baker was projected pretty high following his junior season, only to return for a disappointing senior campaign. I think he ended up undrafted.

vol_freak said:

On the DL, Parys Haralson maybe? Though he was drafted in the 5th RD and has became a good LB for the 49ers. Jesse Mahelona possibly...forget if he was drafted or an UDFA. I know he landed on the Titans for a little in his rookie preseason.

I will honestly be surprised if Ayers can deliver that...but I would be happy if true, and disappointed in that we never got to see that taken advantage of on the field. I think that Ayers can be a good player....but there is some serious hype going on....while it would be awesome for him if it worked out that way, I can't help but wonder.

I'm guessing the 4.77 40 at the combine impressed the scouts. They will love Ben Martin in a couple of years.

I'm guessing the 4.77 40 at the combine impressed the scouts. They will love Ben Martin in a couple of years.

Phoolmer and his favorites.......and to thing Ayers was saddled behind Xavier who?? and Antonio "disappearo" his Jr. year........good job PHULMER!! :crazy:

tabrams said:
Phoolmer and his favorites.......and to thing Ayers was saddled behind Xavier who?? and Antonio "disappearo" his Jr. year........good job PHULMER!!

Riiiiight...

Ayers's stock is so high in spite of his senior season. He had a special Senior Bowl and excellent combine and pro day, so now he's the favorite of some analysts such as Mayock.

Last edited:

Jonathan Wade had one of the biggest turnarounds in UT history. From getting burned by every wideout in college to a good NFL player.

I would not be surprised if some of Ayers current success is due to the new coach staff. Keep in mind this coaching staff has some well established NFL connections and if they can get some good press out of any player coming out of Tennessee it gives them more ammunition on the recruiting front . I understand that Ayers is a excellent player and the NFL has had some recent success with Tennessee players on the defensive side of the ball. All of this is just more good press for Tennessee. I suspect you will see a lot more attention given to Tennessee players with this coaching staff. Player success in the NFL equals greater success recruiting for Tennessee. Go Vols !!!!

I would not be surprised if some of Ayers current success is due to the new coach staff. Keep in mind this coaching staff has some well established NFL connections and if they can get some good press out of any player coming out of Tennessee it gives them more ammunition on the recruiting front . I understand that Ayers is a excellent player and the NFL has had some recent success with Tennessee players on the defensive side of the ball. All of this is just more good press for Tennessee. I suspect you will see a lot more attention given to Tennessee players with this coaching staff. Player success in the NFL equals greater success recruiting. Go Vols !!!!

VN Store

Back