Bruce Pearl to Iowa??

TN Vol 0320

OK, first of all, I DO NOT believe this will happen 1 bit. I just titled the thread the way I did to get people to talk...

Anyways, I read today where Indiana is going to go hard after Alford from Iowa. I think we all know that. But, what nobody has been talking about so far is that Bruce is an Iowa guy. He coached there under Tom Davis and you have to be out of your mind to think that Iowa wouldnt think about giving him a call about the job if Alford did leave. Just wanting to get some thought...

(TN Vol 0320 @ Feb 18 said:
OK, first of all, I DO NOT believe this will happen 1 bit. I just titled the thread the way I did to get people to talk...

Anyways, I read today where Indiana is going to go hard after Alford from Iowa. I think we all know that. But, what nobody has been talking about so far is that Bruce is an Iowa guy. He coached there under Tom Davis and you have to be out of your mind to think that Iowa wouldnt think about giving him a call about the job if Alford did leave. Just wanting to get some thought...
Given that Bob Bowlsby, the current AD, is the same guy who fired Davis, there's a better chance I will be the coach at Iowa. Further, Pearl isn't an "Iowa guy." His only connection to the school is that he followed Davis there from Stanford.

I was at the Bama game tonight and chatted a little with coach and I said "please tell me your not leaving us for Indiana, Kentucky,..." and he said "I'm not going anywhere" so take that for whatever it is worth.

Talked with a buddy of mine who is a big Iowa fan (alumnus). The thought is that if Alford is offered the IU job, he is as good as gone. Alford wants that job. If that happens, Iowa will go after the coach of Northern Iowa (not sure his name).

(hatvol96 @ Feb 18 said:
Given that Bob Bowlsby, the current AD, is the same guy who fired Davis, there's a better chance I will be the coach at Iowa. Further, Pearl isn't an "Iowa guy." His only connection to the school is that he followed Davis there from Stanford.
He did coach there for four years (I think it was). I consider that a connection. But I wouldn't consider him an "Iowa guy" either.

(VolnTitan @ Feb 18 said:
Talked with a buddy of mine who is a big Iowa fan (alumnus). The thought is that if Alford is offered the IU job, he is as good as gone. Alford wants that job. If that happens, Iowa will go after the coach of Northern Iowa (not sure his name).
Greg McDermott.

(vol_freak @ Feb 18 said:
What do you know about him?
Very good young coach. Made the tourney the last couple of years. Saw them play in the tournament I went to in Las Vegas before Christmas. Very fundamentally sound and well drilled team. Reflected very well on their coach.

IU fan vote liked Ohio State coach Thad Matta, don't know if he would leave though.

Its already been posted on this board before, but the Iowa A.D. fired Pearl's mentor at Iowa Tom Davis. Someone who Pearl respected and considered a friend. I think the chances of Pearl going to Iowa are close to nil.

Dont know why he would. He went to UT to go to a big time program, and has taking you guys to new heights. Its not like Iowa is Duke or anything. Iowa would have to be some kind of a dream job for him to leave.

I don't think Pearl would've gone to all the trouble of famialiarizing himself with UT bball tradition if he was planning on jumping ship immediately.

He'll be here.

Living here in Big 10 Country I can tell you it's true that Iowa fans want Greg McDermott badly!

I live in Indiana and there are quite a few who would like to see Bruce go there. That has me a little worried. I have been here in the middle of all the Mike Davis mess up here. I get to see IU play every week and they are a very poorly coached team on both ends of the court. That would have me worried. The IU fan boards are also saying Pearl is interested in the UK job if Tubby leaves. I can see Tubby leaving but I hope he wouldn't go to UK.

(IndianaUTFan @ Feb 19 said:
I live in Indiana and there are quite a few who would like to see Bruce go there. That has me a little worried. I have been here in the middle of all the Mike Davis mess up here. I get to see IU play every week and they are a very poorly coached team on both ends of the court. That would have me worried. The IU fan boards are also saying Pearl is interested in the UK job if Tubby leaves. I can see Tubby leaving but I hope he wouldn't go to UK.

Where abouts in Indiana do you live? Terre Haute area here...

Fan boards are the LAST place to get accurate information...especially a IU fan board talking about the UK job.

Pearl made some astute observations about coaching, how fans are ready to pack your bags if you lose and then afraid you will leave when you win. He understands the nature of it, there is only loyalty as long as he wins.

Because of that, I could see Pearl leaving to take an NBA job or maybe even another college job. What he has done with the UT program already, and his ability to recruit he already some equity build up in this program. A remarkable turnaround. I think its doubtful he would leave UT for another college job, but its possible.

I think a lot of it has to do with what Pearl's goals are. Is his dream to be an NBA coach, to coach for a traditional powerhouse like Kentucky or Indiana, to create a powerhouse at UT, etc. The other factor I think is the need to feel challenged. I think the only reason Spurrier left for Florida is to see if he could coach at the NFL level, he wanted the challenge. It may be in a few years Pearl wants the challenge too.

great post....it may just be determined on how deep the vols go. Sweet sixteen and CBP may be an NBA coach next year

(dan4vols @ Feb 20 said:
great post....it may just be determined on how deep the vols go. Sweet sixteen and CBP may be an NBA coach next year

I don't think the NBA is what Bruce is really interested in. He wouldn't have spent almost a decade at a Division II school if the NBA was his goal. I pretty sure a talented guy like Coach Pearl would have found his way into pro basketball a long time ago where the Deon Thomas affair would have had no implications.

Well, the good news is that Mike Hamilton has been public about his intentions to lock up Bruce with a long term deal and pretty much double his current salary of $800,000+ so hopefully he will be here for a while and no one will be able to pry him away...

No one believes this is just noise, possibly created by Pearl's people, to gain leverage when bargaining for an extension? If all these 'other' teams are interested in Pearl, wouldn't it possibly lead to Hamilton raising Pearl's salary even further? I love how people get emotional at rumors. When IU or Iowa asks for permission to talk to Pearl, then get excited. Until then, believe it's just noise to create demand for Pearl's services.

(Rocky Top @ Feb 19 said:
Living here in Big 10 Country I can tell you it's true that Iowa fans want Greg McDermott badly!

If we had to lose Pearl, Tubby would be my choice as the replacement.

VN Store

Back