TURN UP THE HEAT

TN Vol 0320

VOLS ASK FANS TO 'TURN UP THE HEAT' ON MARCH 1
T-shirts will be provided for fans to celebrate the 2005-06 season

Feb. 20, 2006

The University of Tennessee basketball program will experience another first on March 1. For the home finale against rival Kentucky, the Vols will attempt to make the entire lower bowl of Thompson-Boling Arena become an orange and white human checkerboard with specially designed Tennessee basketball T-shirts. By strategically alternating the arena sections so that fans in one section adorn orange, with adjacent sections dressing in white, the goal is for Vol fans to create a first-of-its-kind human checkerboard.

With help from the Vol Network and its longest running continuous sponsor, the Natural Gas Utilities and Pipeline Company of East Tennessee, the Vols will print over 10,400 shirts (50% orange, 50% white) to be given out complimentary to fans who have seats in the lower level.

"The massive quantity of shirts makes this easily the largest T-shirt promotion ever undertaken at a UT event and possibly the largest in the history of the Southeastern Conference," says Mike Hamilton, University of Tennessee Athletics Director. (The number of upper level seats make outfitting the entire arena cost prohibitive).

The shirts will bear the imprint of the theme, 'TURN UP THE HEAT!' providing a keepsake for fans to celebrate the 2005-06 basketball season.

"The Volunteers have turned up the heat on their competition all season long, and we thought it appropriate to get behind Coach Pearl and his team and really turn up the heat when Kentucky comes to town," says Bill Wickman, Director of East Tennessee Natural Gas Company in Knoxville. "We are proud to be (since 1970) the Vol Network's first and longest-running statewide sponsor, so we wanted to be first to attempt this unique kind of atmosphere. Our goal is create a lasting picture for fans to link with a team that has shown so much heart and hustle."

John Ward, legendary 'Voice of the Vols' from 1965 through 1999, and the long-time spokesman for the state's natural gas industry, played a key role in making the promotion a reality.

"This is a unique idea, one that we think Tennessee fans will embrace just as they have embraced this basketball team," says Ward. "We are asking for Tennessee fans full support on March 1. Get to the game early. Get your T-shirt on and turn up the heat!"

This is all courtesy of UTsports.com Log on there for a picture of how the arena would look if everyone gets involved!!! Get there early and participate in this! It will be huge for the image of Tennessee basketball across the nation!!

GO VOLS!!

thats one of the coolest things I have ever heard, that will be suweeett

that would be awesome. I just hope the damn game is on TV so i can see it.....GO VOLS!!!

I believe it is on JPsports if I'm not mistaken. At least that's what my schedule says...

(Crakaveli @ Feb 20 said:
awesome. should think about this for football season too.

Football would be pretty much out of the question I would assume since that would mean the production of somewhere around 80,000 shirts... But it would be a sight to see, especially at a night game (if we ever have any)!!

yeah, doing that at Neyland would be tough....

but they could do what PSU did last year....remember the game against Ohio St? they had the "white out" wear everyone wore white at the stadium....maybe we could do an "orange out"?

turn-up-heat-398.jpg

if they can pull that off, more power to them....GO VOLS!!!

(jakez4ut @ Feb 20 said:
yeah, doing that at Neyland would be tough....
but they could do what PSU did last year....remember the game against Ohio St? they had the "white out" wear everyone wore white at the stadium....maybe we could do an "orange out"?

yeah, that was pretty cool.

that'd be awesome if UT could pull off the checkerboard like in that picture. My first thought was they were gonna put an orange shirt in one seat then a white one in the next and so on. It looks like a better done by sections like in the picture.

Wow...that is gonna look cool...

but actually the article is slightly inaccurate. UF's is the largest in the SEC. Against UK we gave out 12,500 shirts to all who attended the game. Just thought I'd make that correction :p

Attachments

• WOWUF.jpg
    WOWUF.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7
(OrangeAndBlue @ Feb 20 said:
Wow...that is gonna look cool...

but actually the article is slightly inaccurate. UF's is the largest in the SEC. Against UK we gave out 12,500 shirts to all who attended the game. Just thought I'd make that correction :p

So, did you win?

(OrangeAndBlue @ Feb 20 said:
Against UK we gave out 12,500 shirts to all who attended the game. Just thought I'd make that correction :p

You guys can fit 12,500 in that gym of yours. I am impressed. :biggrin2:

I am in the upper level on 3/1. :banghead: Great idea though. I'm sure it will be great to look at it from above.

(ukvols @ Feb 20 said:
I am in the upper level on 3/1. :banghead: Great idea though. I'm sure it will be great to look at it from above.

One word....

SCALPER!!

haha but seriously, I would try to get on the lower level if at all possible. This goes for everyone...

it would be difficult to fil the lower bowl at Neyland with a checkerboard patter. maybe they could just do the endzones or sides.

I love it!
Your still going to have maw and paw wearing some odd ball UT gear and not put on the provided shirts. :bad:
Other than random speckles of granny blue hair, its going to look great.

Neyland would be Great! But yeah, pretty hard to pull off. I would like to atleast see them go with the posterboard squares by section as they are with t-shirts at TBA.

VN Store

Back