Jerry Green to Indiana

hatvol96

Jerry Green will be named Director of Basketball Operations at Indiana. I guess Kelvin Sampson didn't insist on getting the negatives of the pictures Green must have of him when he gave him his charity job at Oklahoma.

(Taylor Moran @ Apr 18 said:
oh ok i see. Jerry Green was a joke. he had no disciplin

I just hate that UT had such talent when he was here. Imagine CBP coaching with JG's teams...

(utvolpj @ Apr 18 said:
I just hate that UT had such talent when he was here. Imagine CBP coaching with JG's teams...

I have a feeling that we are going to see Bruce coaching a lot better talent than Jerry Green (O'Neill) ever had.

If you look at Tennessee basketball over the last 25 years, Jerry Green is not the worst coach we ever had. I'm not saying he is a great coach but he did more than anyone else here in a LONG time.

Congrats on him going to Indiana.

(vol_freak @ Apr 18 said:
If you look at Tennessee basketball over the last 25 years, Jerry Green is not the worst coach we ever had. I'm not saying he is a great coach but he did more than anyone else here in a LONG time.

Congrats on him going to Indiana.

I'll agree he did win a lot of games. Maybe it was just the way he carried himself or some of the comments made about people trying to support him. Maybe he just got screwed by Dickey. Whatever the case, I just never felt a connection with the guy or felt like he really fit into the UT family. And for me that's necessary in order to be a fan of his. :dunno:

Having always been an avid Bob Knight supporter, I would have never dreamed the day would come where I want Indiana to lose every basketball game they play. That day is here now.

Sounds like Bobby Knight may still have some friends at IN.

I can't imagine going from the straight Knight to a loose Green mentality.

(hatvol96 @ Apr 18 said:
Having always been an avid Bob Knight supporter, I would have never dreamed the day would come where I want Indiana to lose every basketball game they play. That day is here now.

Are you going to watch the Bob Knight/Chuck Norris fight this weekend?

Jerry Green must have been the luckiest coach in ncaa history. I cannot remember a coach given a job with so much talent already on the table. Even most of the players he landed himself had been recruited by Kevin O'Neil. Just think of what he had. While he was here he coached Tony Harris, Isaiah Victor, Ron Slay, Marcus Haislip, Charles Hathaway, Terrence Woods, Harris Walker, Jon Higgins, Vincent Yarbrough, Rashard Lee, C.J. Black, along with some others. Some of those guys should be in the nba today but are not. I'm not saying it was all Jerry Green's fault. I am saying that if those players had a good coach, aka Bruce Pearl, they would have had a much greater shot to succeed in the nba. I mean, look at what Pearl has already done for Major Wingate. He is currently projected to be drafted in the second round in next years draft.

(utvolpj @ Apr 18 said:
I'll agree he did win a lot of games. Maybe it was just the way he carried himself or some of the comments made about people trying to support him. Maybe he just got screwed by Dickey. Whatever the case, I just never felt a connection with the guy or felt like he really fit into the UT family. And for me that's necessary in order to be a fan of his. :dunno:
Didn't you just feel like Green was forced on us.

(crimedawg12 @ Apr 18 said:
Didn't you just feel like Green was forced on us.
Green was a desperation hire made in an attempt to minimize the embarassment caused by the Kevin Stallings Kitchen Incident. He was convenient and Dickey had to hire a coach asap.

(vol_freak @ Apr 18 said:
If you look at Tennessee basketball over the last 25 years, Jerry Green is not the worst coach we ever had.

That honor would probably have to go to Wade Houston, which shows that you should not make coaching hires based solely on recruiting one player (are you listening Houston Nutt?)

Green may be a great guy, and he did win a lot of ball games, but I don't think anybody would argue that he never got the most out of his teams.

On a side note, does the fact that he is taking the IU job mean that he is off the UT payroll?

(cotton @ Apr 18 said:
That honor would probably have to go to Wade Houston, which shows that you should not make coaching hires based solely on recruiting one player (are you listening Houston Nutt?)

Green may be a great guy, and he did win a lot of ball games, but I don't think anybody would argue that he never got the most out of his teams.

On a side note, does the fact that he is taking the IU job mean that he is off the UT payroll?
Green is not a great guy. He's a first rate a$$.

(hatvol96 @ Apr 18 said:
Green is not a great guy. He's a first rate a$$.

I didn't like Green personally either. He always had something smart to say.

I don't think he gets enough credit for the job he did. Even though he did inherit some decent players, he left the program in better shape than a lot of coaches have. Buzz Peterson showed us that it's very possible to have NCAA talent and not make the big dance. I also think he (or his staff) had a better eye for talent than Buzz did. He had some discipline issues on that team though.

(Bill Walton @ Apr 18 said:
I mean, look at what Pearl has already done for Major Wingate. He is currently projected to be drafted in the second round in next years draft.

That, I find hard to believe.

Green was good at something. Just because he was a horrible coach does not mean he couldn't do something right. Obviously he did a little something right. He was a used car salesman who was a "players coach" and let them run the team. That is attractive to some players. They enjoyed the freedom. No discipline meant they could party, do drugs, whatever they wanted to because they were not worried about being repremanded. But, his ability to coach ended there (if you want to call that ability). You always hear about those coaches that have lots of talent and people say all they do in practice is "roll a ball onto the floor and say go at it." Well, that was probably the extent of his "teaching" part of being a coach. His players didn't improve. They wasted talent that was far greater than what it achieved. And, he did it all while having no connection to the fans. You notice the capacity he is serving in now involves him being behind the scenes as DBO. That is not a coincidence.

(tidwell @ Apr 18 said:
That, I find hard to believe.

I'm not saying I believe it. It is where he is projected and there is no way he would have been that high this time last year.

(therickbol @ Apr 18 said:
Green was good at something. Just because he was a horrible coach does not mean he couldn't do something right. Obviously he did a little something right. He was a used car salesman who was a "players coach" and let them run the team. That is attractive to some players. They enjoyed the freedom. No discipline meant they could party, do drugs, whatever they wanted to because they were not worried about being repremanded. But, his ability to coach ended there (if you want to call that ability). You always hear about those coaches that have lots of talent and people say all they do in practice is "roll a ball onto the floor and say go at it." Well, that was probably the extent of his "teaching" part of being a coach. His players didn't improve. They wasted talent that was far greater than what it achieved. And, he did it all while having no connection to the fans. You notice the capacity he is serving in now involves him being behind the scenes as DBO. That is not a coincidence.
I just find it hard to believe that that group of players was much more talented than four 20 win seasons, 4 NCAA tourneys and a Sweet16. It was the winningest run in school history. I don't think they underperformed all that much. He had no NBA talent on that team, developed or not.

I do agree about his connection with the fans. Maybe that is a big part of why he did not get a coaching job. In reality we were still paying him and he didn't need to work. Not that teams came looking for him, but I don't think he was pursuing it either.

VN Store

Back