Tennessee Vanderbilt Game Thread - 1/10/2007

Wasn't he the one that we almost hired before Dickey flubbed it up? :)

Wasn't he the one that we almost hired before Dickey flubbed it up? :)
Yes, Dickey thought it was acceptable to take a phone call from Tim Floyd's representatives while sitting in the Stallings kitchen, ostensibly to offer him the job.

Getting nostalgic on Tennessee Basketball, what Kevin ONeill up to these days? Still a bench coach in the NBA?

Yes, Dickey thought it was acceptable to take a phone call from Tim Floyd's representatives while sitting in the Stallings kitchen, ostensibly to offer him the job.

That story always cracks me up. It just sounds like something that would happen to Tennessee basketball.

What's the story on this?
Short version: Doug Dickey traveled to the home of Kevin Stallings to finalize his becoming UT's basketball coach, succeeding Kevin O'Neill. While there, Dickey received a phone call from representatives of Tim Floyd, who Dickey had actually wanted to hire twice before. Instead of simply saying that UT had found a coach, Dickey proceeded to engage in discussions with the Floyd camp in the middle of the Stallings residence. That led to Stallings pulling out of consideration. Floyd used UT as leverage to get a raise at Iowa State, then left for the NBA. Tennessee, in its desperation, hired Jerry Green.

Short version: Doug Dickey traveled to the home of Kevin Stallings to finalize his becoming UT's basketball coach, succeeding Kevin O'Neill. While there, Dickey received a phone call from representatives of Tim Floyd, who Dickey had actually wanted to hire twice before. Instead of simply saying that UT had found a coach, Dickey proceeded to engage in discussions with the Floyd camp in the middle of the Stallings residence. That led to Stallings pulling out of consideration. Floyd used UT as leverage to get a raise at Iowa State, then left for the NBA. Tennessee, in its desperation, hired Jerry Green.

Thanks Hat. I have never heard that before.

"Vanderbilt is an important game for the Vol Nation," Pearl said. "For me, Vanderbilt is a team we're going to be competing against for one of those NCAA tournament spots.
Pearl must read the board. :dance:

VN Store

Back