Guess Who, Guess Where?

pearl isn't going anywhere. with as much dedication as he has put into this program thus far, i would be VERY surprised if he left.

I guess there will be a bidding war between Iowa and Kentucky :cray:

Doesn't Iowa have the highest paid football coach in the country?
They are willing to shell out big bucks for coaches :huh:

Why would Pearlie go to the middle of corn country and leave the Hill unles he was born there and went to school there and doesn't like money?

It's hard to believe that that's a job we should be worried about. I know he used to be an assistant there, but that was a very long time ago. This just sounds like wishful thinking on their part.

Do you know how much money the University has put into its basketball program with the new practice facility and the improvements to TBA? Why would Pearl leave that sort of commitment to go to a school like Iowa? Why would the University allow it to happen? No way does UT want to invest all that money to have empty seats in TBA in a couple of years.

His son and daughter are here, and he doesn't make decisions without his son's opinion.

TUbby Smith saw the handwriting on the wall...
That's exactly right. No comparison between Tubby leaving (he knew he would be fired with another sub par year) and Coach Pearl walking away from a successful team, great facilities, rabid fans that love him, huge paycheck and a family who likes it there. Sheeesh.

They'd be crazy not to call him. But they're deluding themselves if they think that Iowa's a better situation than Tennessee.

The article is right about one thing: we're going to have to deal with this until people are convinced that Pearl wants to stay at UT for the long haul.

I like this quote from an iowa fan:

I'd love nothing more than to have Bruce Pearl as our next coach.

But it ain't gonna happen, for a couple reasons:

1) Iowa might offer more than the $1.2M Tennessee is paying Pearl, but UT will likely match or exceed the offer to keep him there.

2) Tennessee to Iowa is at best a lateral move. Pearl is a rising star at UT. You think he'd give that up for a risky move back to Iowa, where he was an assistant for 6 years, ending 15 years ago? From what I recall, Pearl's loyalties were with Tom Davis, not with the school that unceremoniously threw Tom out 6 years later. Maybe Pearl did enjoy his time here, but I don't see that as nearly enough for him to give up the gig he has now.

Barta should at least give him a call anyway, but don't get your hopes up too much. It's at least a 100 to 1 shot.

I agree with that. He is worth $2 million a year easily. If we think we can continue to pay bargain basement prices, we will continue to be a stepping stone program.

Every coach on The Hill is well paid. He makes 1.2 mil a year, that is hardly bargain basement.

How is UT a stepping stone program? You certainly are not talking about basketball are you?

Every coach on The Hill is well paid. He makes 1.2 mil a year, that is hardly bargain basement.

How is UT a stepping stone program? You certainly are not talking about basketball are you?

its not bargain basement but he is worth more than 1.2 mil a year... heck i would give him 2.5 mil a year to make sure he doesnt go anywhere

If he leaves, then he will be untrusted everywhere after showing his dedication to UT tha past two years. I mean the body paint and all. If he goes, he is a fony!!! No coach would wear body paint for a women's game. I have faith

If he leaves, then he will be untrusted everywhere after showing his dedication to UT tha past two years. I mean the body paint and all. If he goes, he is a fony!!! No coach would wear body paint for a women's game. I have faith

Agreed. Like i've said, Pearl is too involved with UT to leave at this point without upsetting all of Knoxville. The whole university loves him and he seems to feel the same way. He is basically a ut fan in coach's clothing.

VN Store

Back