Lofton named to 2nd team AP All-American!!

that's awesome! Let the uninformed ask if he will return next year. :no:

Slick Rick says, congrats to C-Lo. This is a great accomplishment that he can take with him for the rest of his life (including 1 more year in orange)

and he'll be back next year.......wow.

i can't believe how excited i am about next year's BASKETBALL team.......

First, congratulations to Lofton on a fine season and the honor.

Second, I am struck by the irony of naming a team of people when the honor is individual. Florida has no one on the first team, not IMO because no Gators are among the five best, but because Florida plays as a team. Week in and week out someone else rose to the fore and took over and propelled the team to wins. Because they played unselfishly, and therefore were more successful as a team, the individuals are penalized in the sense that they don't get the same individual attention others do.

The self-appointed experts who like Florida right now are almost all saying that its the fact that Florida plays as a team, with different guys able to beat you if you focus on certain others, that makes them so good. I hate individual honors in team sports.

This isn't super relevant but I saw yesterday where Lee Humphrey is like three 3-pointers away from having the most in NCAA tournament history. Bobby Hurley is the leader for the moment.

Second, I am struck by the irony of naming a team of people when the honor is individual. Florida has no one on the first team, not IMO because no Gators are among the five best, but because Florida plays as a team. Week in and week out someone else rose to the fore and took over and propelled the team to wins. Because they played unselfishly, and therefore were more successful as a team, the individuals are penalized in the sense that they don't get the same individual attention others do.

The self-appointed experts who like Florida right now are almost all saying that its the fact that Florida plays as a team, with different guys able to beat you if you focus on certain others, that makes them so good. I hate individual honors in team sports.

I don't think individual honors should be completely done away with. Making AA is quite an accomplishment. But, it gets silly when after every championship game, right after the team gets its trophy, an all-tournament team is announced, and someone then gets an individual MVP trophy that is as large as the trophy the team just got. I also hate the amount of attention devoted to the Heisman trophy during the season, although it seems to have lessened over the last few years. It gets really silly when athletic departments start sending goodies to media outlets to promote their athlete for the Heisman (although I did like the Byron Leftwich bobblehead that I got from Marshall, even though I had no vote).

oh good Lord........:banghead2: good for you LG....i guess that makes back handed compliment 4963?

oh good Lord........:banghead2: good for you LG....i guess that makes back handed compliment 4963?

No, the honor is worth something. Winning the Heisman, for example, is a nice thing. I just am saying that in team sports there is something anathema about giving someone an individual honor. On its face, it makes no sense.

I guess what I mean is that individual players do not win games. It takes the team, working as a team, to do it, even if that means the team working in such a manner as to highlight one particular player or maybe two.

If the line does not block or the receivers make big catches, does Wuerfell win the Heisman? Similarly, if Chism or whoever fails to set a screen, is Lofton open for the 3 pointer?

No, the honor is worth something. Winning the Heisman, for example, is a nice thing. I just am saying that in team sports there is something anathema about giving someone an individual honor. On its face, it makes no sense.

I guess what I mean is that individual players do not win games. It takes the team, working as a team, to do it, even if that means the team working in such a manner as to highlight one particular player or maybe two.

If the line does not block or the receivers make big catches, does Wuerfell win the Heisman? Similarly, if Chism or whoever fails to set a screen, is Lofton open for the 3 pointer?
gee thanks for the "team" lesson......i never knew any of that before now.

gee thanks for the "team" lesson......i never knew any of that before now.

Anyone who fails to jump on the Orange bandwagon, and at every stop, is derided as either just plain wrong or anti-flavor of the day. You have yet to say I'm right or I'm wrong.

Which is more important to you, having one terrific player who gets an individual honor like this, or having a better team that accomplishes more as a group?

Anyone who fails to jump on the Orange bandwagon, and at every stop, is derided as either just plain wrong or anti-flavor of the day. You have yet to say I'm right or I'm wrong.

Which is more important to you, having one terrific player who gets an individual honor like this, or having a better team that accomplishes more as a group?

I see your point. But don't try and belittle something a UT player did.

What do you think?

Should we just not acknowledge a player for obtaining an honor such as this? :banghead2:

The Gators are a great "team". We get it. Are there no women's basketball threads for you to derail today or something?

how 'bout this........i'm very happy with what this TEAM has been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time, and this TEAM is something to be very proud of.

i never bashed you or anything, i just called you out on your "back handed compliment". if that ruffled your feathers, hate it for you.

what we don't need is some sanctimonious pompas gator fan holding a trophy in each hand coming in here and saying:
Wow, great honor indeed, but individual honors are stupid, in fact, i hate individual awards. the only ones that matter are TEAM awards--see we have two! but nice job anyway..wink, wink.

so enjoy your trophies, have fun in the final four.....

I'm telling you that you're wrong. None of those players lived up to an All-American campaign, particularly Noah (who ironically is on the 2nd team ahead of Horford on the 3rd, which should tell you about the quality of the results in AA voting). Brewer and Green are the two most important players on the team and got no mention whatsoever, but neither had the team carrying type of year that the AAs did (save Oden). Brewer is the best of the bunch IMO because of his versatility and D, but statistically, just doesn't measure up to the other 2/3 men that made the AA list. Will he be drafted in front of them? Sure. Does that make him AA? He'll likely win more than most on the list. Does that make him an AA?

VN Store

Back