Vols one of the Kings of the BCS...barely

OrangeBrownie

Stewart Mandel wrote an article classifying all of the BCS teams into 4 class....tennessee is one of the head of the class.....but just barely

SI.com - Writers - Stewart Mandel: Dividing BCS teams into four-tier hierarchy and more - Wednesday August 8, 2007 1:42PM

Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Tennessee*, Texas and USC.

* Tennessee is the lone school in the group that caused any hesitation. The Vols would have been a no-brainer 10 years ago, but they have fallen off the map a bit lately. In the end, I figured those 100 fans in Montana still know "Rocky Top," the checkered end zones and that Peyton Manning went there.

how does he claim that Tennessee is on the cusp when a schools like Nebraska and Alabama have been struggling for just as long if not longer?

Stewart Mandel wrote an article classifying all of the BCS teams into 4 class....tennessee is one of the head of the class.....but just barely

SI.com - Writers - Stewart Mandel: Dividing BCS teams into four-tier hierarchy and more - Wednesday August 8, 2007 1:42PM

how does he claim that Tennessee is on the cusp when a schools like Nebraska and Alabama have been struggling for just as long if not longer?

Well if he has ND on there he has to pretty much put Bama on their if he's going by tradition.. but in my opinion Tennessee should be higher up on that list than Nebraska and Florida State.. possibly Miami, Penn State too. I also think that Texas shouldn't be on that list if LSU isn't... but imo they should both be on there.

how does he claim that Tennessee is on the cusp when a schools like Nebraska and Alabama have been struggling for just as long if not longer?[/quote]

It's because of our century long winning tradition.

how does he claim that Tennessee is on the cusp when a schools like Nebraska and Alabama have been struggling for just as long if not longer?[/quote]

Doesn't matter.. he contradicts(spelling?) himself in saying Tennessee has struggled recently yet Bama and Nebraska have struggled a lot more recently... go back 75 years and UT is one of the top 3 in wins....

nebraska is on there because of their sheer dominance in the 90's.

bama is on there because of their tradition

FSU was unstoppable in the early 90's.

Well if he has ND on there he has to pretty much put Bama on their if he's going by tradition.. but in my opinion Tennessee should be higher up on that list than Nebraska and Florida State.. possibly Miami, Penn State too. I also think that Texas shouldn't be on that list if LSU isn't... but imo they should both be on there.
The teams are listed in alphabetical order... :whistling:

The teams are listed in alphabetical order... :whistling:

No - no - no

You misunderstood the way I posted. I know they weren't in the order of the best... but obviously Tennessee was the lowest team due to the * and explanation afterward. My point was Tennessee had a better arguement and shouldn't have been the team with the * and one of those I listed should have. :crazy:

The media equivalent of a blood sucking mosquito buzzing in your ear.

It must be...that and you're 2...I mean 12...I mean 4 (legit) national championships.

What I found interesting about that article is the portion about the "aura" or "cachet" a team has right now. I think there is something to that issue of perception of overall state of affairs.

I was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio earlier in the week and host (Cowherd, I believe) was going through the tankings and said that Tennessee is "fading" from the national scene.

I did not post anything about it because its just another opinion among a zillion others and you've all heard it a million times. But reading this Mandel peice it struck me that his comment about UT "fading" is sort of the national perception.

You mazy disagree that UT is fading and it may well be inaccurate. But its what people around the country who don't follow the program currently think, and that's why Mandel wrote what he wrote. Right or wrong, its the perception.

What I found interesting about that article is the portion about the "aura" or "cachet" a team has right now. I think there is something to that issue of perception of overall state of affairs.

I was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio earlier in the week and host (Cowherd, I believe) was going through the tankings and said that Tennessee is "fading" from the national scene.

I did not post anything about it because its just another opinion among a zillion others and you've all heard it a million times. But reading this Mandel peice it struck me that his comment about UT "fading" is sort of the national perception.

You mazy disagree that UT is fading and it may well be inaccurate. But its what people around the country who don't follow the program currently think, and that's why Mandel wrote what he wrote. Right or wrong, its the perception.

Has faded would be more accurate....just has the Gators had. Just takes a good year. Now we just sit back and watch.

Has faded would be more accurate....just has the Gators had. Just takes a good year. Now we just sit back and watch.

Florida definitely plummeted when Spurrier left and Zook took over, but it only lasted, what, 3-4 years? It took two coaching regime changes to get back to the top, and once that was done it was a pretty quick return for the Gators.

What will be the catalyst for change in Knoxville?

Florida definitely plummeted when Spurrier left and Zook took over, but it only lasted, what, 3-4 years? It took two coaching regime changes to get back to the top, and once that was done it was a pretty quick return for the Gators.

What will be the catalyst for change in Knoxville?

Perhaps an AD with cojones could answer that question for us.

When it comes to the BCS it doesn't matter what you did a 100 years ago.

Eventually.......

My prediction remains that UT goes 9-4 this year and loses a mediocre bowl game, whereupon Fulmer retires. How long it takes to get back to the top depends on whether you can get a great coach right away, or have to suffer through a few years of the scapegoat/sacrifical lamb syndrome like the Gators did with Zook.

VN Store

Back