Scenarios in which UT finishes in the Final Top 10 THIS YEAR!

utmba93

Time for a New Era
Gentlemen, please put on your orange colored glasses and let's hope for the best for the Vols in the bowl season. Tonight's game between Texas and ASU could be the first one that matters for UT's chance at finishing the season ranked in the Top 10. As hard as it was to imagine our presence in the SECCG, now try to imagine the best outcomes for the Vols. If the Vols finish in the top 10, what a season this one will have been!

Here's a shot at exactly how Tennessee could finish in the Top 10 this year!

Pacific Life Holiday
#11 Arizona State vs. #19 Texas San Diego Dec. 27, 8:00PM ESPN
Texas needs a win over ASU to keep ASU out of the final top 10.

Champs Sports
#14 Boston College vs. Michigan State Orlando, Fla. Dec. 28, 5 p.m. ESPN HD
Michigan State victory would keep BC out of the top 10

Chick-fil-A
#15 Clemson vs. Auburn Atlanta Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m. ESPN HD
Auburn needs to upset Clemson.

Outback
#18 Wisconsin vs. #16 Tennessee Tampa, Fla. Jan. 1, 2008, 11 a.m. ESPN HD
Obviously, UT needs to win impressively!

AT&T Cotton
#6 Missouri vs. Arkansas Dallas Jan. 1, 2008, 11:30 a.m. FOX
An Arkansas upset of Missouri would strengthen voters’ views of the SEC, but may not be enough to knock Missouri out of the top 10.

Capital One
Michigan vs. #12 Florida Orlando, Fla. Jan. 1, 2008, 1 p.m. ABC HD
Toss up. Technically, a Michigan win could be in the Vols’ best interest to get into the top 10. If the Gators win it would help bolster a dominant SEC conference claim and allow 4 SEC teams to be in the tinal top 10. UT would be the 4th while the Gators would higher.

Rose Bowl presented by Citi
# 7 USC vs #13 Illinois Pasadena, Calif. Jan. 1, 2008, 4:30 p.m. ABC HD
Trojan victory keeps Illinois out of the top 10.

Allstate Sugar
#10 Hawaii vs. #5 Georgia New Orleans Jan. 1, 2008, 8:30 p.m. FOX
A UGA blowout would show Hawaii W/L record is a fluke knocking them out of the top 10.

Tostitos Fiesta
#4 Oklahoma vs. # 9 West Virginia Glendale, Ariz. Jan. 2, 2008, 8 p.m. FOX
A Sooner victory knocks West Virginia out of the top 10.

FedEx Orange
#3 Virginia Tech vs. #8 Kansas Miami Jan. 3, 2008, 8 p.m. FOX
A major blowout of Kansas by Virginia Tech would knock Kansas out of the top 10.

Allstate BCS Championship Game
#2 LSU vs. #1 Ohio State New Orleans Jan. 7, 2008, 8 p.m. FOX
This one may be somewhat irrelevant to UT’s final ranking. Even if LSU beats tOSU as badly as Florida did in last year's NC, tOSU will still be ranked higher than UT. It’s more about popularity for them. LSU will also be ranked higher than UT whether they win or lose. They beat us. However, an LSU blowout of tOSU would help bolster the ‘dominant conference’ claim needed to get 4 SEC teams in the top 10.

Projected Final Rankings if things go UT’s way (see above)
1. LSU
2. Oklahoma
3. Virginia Tech
4. Georgia
5. USC
6. Ohio State
7. Florida
8. Missouri (or ASU if they beat Texas tonight)
9. Kansas
10. Tennessee

Go Vols!

Discuss…

It isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

With a win, UT should finish around 13th or so. I'd pick about 4-5 of the teams ahead of UT to lose that could fall enough.

A team rated 7th or higher is unlikely to fall below number 16 unless it is a total collapse.

The National Champion is likely to be a 2-loss team.

Be specific, what about the above scenario is unlikely or who would be ranked higher than projected?
I really don't care what our team would be ranked after the season we had. A win in Tampa would be encouraging going into next year. Point being, if we ain't number one, I don't give a rat's ass about the rest of the losers... :zeitung_lesen:

It isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

With a win, UT should finish around 13th or so. I'd pick about 4-5 of the teams ahead of UT to lose that could fall enough.

A team rated 7th or higher is unlikely to fall below number 16 unless it is a total collapse.

I agree. I don't have any of those teams falling out of the top 10 in the scenario above.

I really don't care what our team would be ranked after the season we had. A win in Tampa would be encouraging going into next year. Point being, if we ain't number one, I don't give a rat's ass about the rest of the losers... :zeitung_lesen:

Ricky Bobby?

Which outcomes are overly optimistic?

While the outcomes of a few of your picks are overly optimistic, that is not really the point. You need for ALL of these picks to end up correct in order for UT to have any shot at #10. The percentage chance of all of your picks being correct is extremely close to zero. That is why everyone is laughing at you.

While the outcomes of a few of your picks are overly optimistic, that is not really the point. You need for ALL of these picks to end up correct in order for UT to have any shot at #10. The percentage chance of all of your picks being correct is extremely close to zero. That is why everyone is laughing at you.

That's not true.

There's a great chance that #2, #3, #4, #5, and #7 win. They may all be mismatches.

#1 OSU is still ranked in the top 10 although who knows if they'd win .500 in the SEC (if the LSU spanks them again as UF did last year).

#6 Mizz could be crying over missing out on a BCS so much that the Razorbacks spank them, but they could still finish above UT in top 10 as shown. If they win they simply finish higher on the list (above OSU).

#10 Hawaii losses to #5 UGA as expected by most. #9 WVU losses to #4 OU as expected by most. #13 ILL losses to #7 (highly likely). All of these games could be severe mismatches.

ASU #11 could win against Texas and if we beat Wisconsin badly, we could still rank higher than the Longhorns. There's room for ASU in the top 10 if Florida falls to Michigan or if Kansas gets totally blasted by Virginia Tech.

ya know hman... you seem to have a lot more attitude with that avatar... didn't you have the peeping eye thing? If that was you, i just couldn't take anything you said seriously.

ya know hman... you seem to have a lot more attitude with that avatar... didn't you have the peeping eye thing? If that was you, i just couldn't take anything you said seriously.
What does an avatar have to do with what is posted? :mad:

VN Store

Back