New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Long read...

I'm writing this in advance of the Apocalypse. In a matter of days, maybe hours, Coach Fulmer’s new contract will be formally announced. Probably through a late afternoon email to media outlets or a craftily worded press release from the UT Athletic Department.​

Regardless of whether you support Coach Fulmer or you believe a regime change in the UT Football Program is necessary, the new contract will surely impart a further division of the UT fan base. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on about the new contract, this animosity toward our own is not healthy for the Program.​

Trial balloons have been floated to the media by some close to the Program. Reports say the contract will be for a period of seven years averaging over the life of the contract approximately $3 million per year. It gets better Vol Fans.. The contract too has a buyout provision of roughly $5 million.

My first thought when I heard these numbers , regardless of my personal feelings about Coach Fulmer or the new contract, is someone in the Athletic Department is going to have a lot of “splainin” to do. Then I thought, No, they really don't have to explain anything to us we keep taking it and taking it.​

Leading up to the formal announcement of the new contract, I have heard reason after reason why a contract of such length is necessary.
One of the favorite reasons I hear is for recruiting purposes. Really? Certainly, Moms and Dads would like to know who Junior’s Head Coach will be for the entire time he attends college. But, when it comes down to it, when Junior is presented with the opportunity for immediate playing time at School A where the head coach is prone to move on for a better deal or to sign with a school where the head coach is a fixture, will be there for at least 7 more years, and you may not play for a year or maybe two, I wonder which school Junior signs with?​

One could argue UT’s recruiting started trending downward when Urban Meyer took over at the University of Florida.
Like him or not, Coach Meyer did not promise prospects anything but the opportunity to compete for immediate playing time as true freshman. In fact, he tells his recruits when they sign to train hard and plan on playing as a true freshman. Coach Meyer has also been at the forefront of getting signees enrolled at mid-term so they can get in the winter conditioning program, spring practice and be ready to play come the fall of their true freshman year. Coach Fulmer, on the other hand until recently, has been hesitant even reluctant to play true freshman. Coach Meyer has used this to his advantage against Coach Fulmer on the recruiting trail. Like it or not, Coach Fulmer has really had no choice but to play kids early in order to keep up with the Jones (or Meyers and Sabans in this case).​

Lets look at recruiting. It’s unfair to judge Coach Fulmer based upon “in state” recruiting. Coach Fulmer has recruited on a national basis since he took over as Head Coach in the early 1990s. We’ll examine national recruiting numbers later; however, let’s look at a few in state recruiting issues before we move along.​

When UT was an elite football program, recruiting from east coast to west coast, UT had its “pick of the litter” of prospects within the state of Tennessee. UT met little resistance for prospects from other SEC or national programs. During UT’s run as an elite program, there were many a “in state” prospect who wanted to and could have played for UT. However, in many cases, these prospects were passed over for a similarly skilled out of state recruit. High School Coaches, High School administrators, families, and friends of families remember these things. You can “dis” an in state prospect when you have an elite program. UT is not an elite program anymore and these past recruiting decisions have allowed other SEC schools to gain traction in the state of Tennessee with respect to recruiting.​

Also, don't forget the high school coaching fraternity is just a microcosm of the fan base. Some coaches love Coach Fulmer, some hate him, and many are simply indifferent. Further, don’t discount the importance of a prospect’s head coach in the recruiting process. Look no further than UT’s success or lack thereof at Brentwood Academy. UT gets no help at Brentwood Academy from the coaches or even from many who are close to that Program. UT is trying its best to repair the relationship. Frankly, there are hard feelings over UT’s failure to recruit a couple of Division 1 level prospects from Brentwood Academy from a few years years gone by. Signing these prospects could have opened up a virtual recruiting pipeline for UT. However, UT choose to focus their efforts on others. Dave Clawson is trying but this will take time to make inroads there.​

Since 2002, UT has averaged signing 7 prospects from the state of Tennessee each year. Over the same period, consider that Alabama has averaged signing 14 prospects from the state of Alabama and Auburn has averaged signing 10 in state prospects.​

Since Alabama replaced Mike Shula with Nick Saban, Alabama has prioritized its efforts on in-state recruiting (ie locking down their borders). Last year 19 of Alabama’s signees were in state players. Worst yet for VOL fans, Alabama signed 3 highly rated prospects from the state of Tennessee (Tennessee only signed 5 in state prospects last year) and UT and Alabama will go toe to toe this year for 3 or 4 highly rated in state prospects this recruiting season as well. Same is already shaping up for 2010. Auburn is a bit different than Alabama with respect to its recruiting base. Given Auburn’s proximity to the state Georgia and Florida, Auburn regularly signs its fair share of from these states as well as from Alabama.​

Interestingly, when UT has had recruiting classes ranked in the top 5 in the country since 2002, UT has signed its highest number of in state prospects: in 2002 and in 2005 UT signed 9 in state prospects in each class; and, in 2007 UT signed 10 in state prospects.​

National Recruiting Analysis. UT boats that the Football Program is one built on a national recruiting base. I wanted to analyze national recruiting rankings over a 5 year or more term to determine if there is a correlation between the stability of a head coach in your football program and recruiting success ( which I define as an average top ten 10 national recruiting ranking).​

I compared Coach Fulmer’s average national recruiting rankings (all rankings have been from Scout.com) for his signing classes from 2002 through 2008 with the average national recruiting rankings of Florida State and Penn State for starters. I choose Penn State and Florida for the following reasons: each at some point over the past few years has been considered an elite program but not now; their current head coaches are fixtures within their programs; both programs over the years have been able to go most anywhere in the country and sign recruits; and, each program and head coach from time to time are discussed/compared with UT and Coach Fulmer.​

Looking at the average rankings of the signing classes from 2002 through 2008, Florida State’s classes have ranked 11th nationally, UT’s recruiting classes have ranked 12th nationally and Penn State’s recruiting classes have ranked 25th nationally. Both Florida State and UT’s rankings are respectable but I decided to look further. I then looked at the average rankings for UT, Florida State and Penn State signing classes from 2006 through 2008. I chose to look at this subset of data because, during the past 3 years, there have been significant head coaching changes that have affected both the SEC as well as national college football landscape.​

Continued...​

The results were interesting. From 2006 through 2008, Penn State’s national recruiting ranking was generally unchanged (from 25th to 26th) while both Florida State and UT’s overall rankings dropped. When looking at 2006 through 2008 data, Florida State’s average national recruiting ranking fell from 11th to 18th while UT’s national recruiting ranking fell from 12th to 21st. Over this same period (2006 through 2008) while both UT and Florida State fell in the rankings, Florida, LSU, and Alabama have had head coaching changes.​

It’s not a coincidence that during this period Florida and Alabama each have had recruiting classes that have ranked #1 nationally and each of LSU's classes from 2006 through 2008 LSU have been ranked 7th or better nationally. So much for the theory that head coaching stability is important for recruiting.​

Lastly, I looked at average recruiting rankings for Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Alabama again. Each of these program changed head coaches during the 2002 through 2008 period and I wanted to see what their program's average recruiting rankings were both before and after the coaching changes. The results again are interesting.​

North Carolina. Butch Davis was named Head Coach at North Carolina in November 2006 and has been a thorn in UT’s recruiting in the Carolinas ever since. Effectively, he is closing down the borders and UT has to fight and scratch to sign any prospect from North Carolina. Before Butch Davis was hired, North Carolina ranked recruiting classes ranked 38th nationally (from 2002 through 2006). Under Butch Davis, North Carolina has improved its recruiting ranking each year and are now a top 20 program when it comes to the recruiting rankings.​

Alabama. Briefly mentioned previously but worth mentioning again. Nick Saban got a late start in recruiting for Alabama’s 2007 recruiting class but finished with a 20th ranking nationally. His 2008 signing class ranked #1 nationally and included 3 of the top 10 players from the state of Tennessee in that class. Before Nick Saban was hired, Alabama’s recruiting classes averaged 27th nationally from 2002 through 2006).​

Notre Dame. Another program with a national recruiting focus. Charlie Weis was named Head Coach at Notre Dame in December 2004.
Prior to hiring Coach Weis, Notre Dame’s recruiting classes had averaged ranking 16th nationally which is fairly respectable. Since 2005, Charlie Weis’ recruiting classes have averaged ranking 10th nationally. Notre Dame as with Alabama are both off to extremely good starts for their 2009 recruiting classes so I don't expect anything but continued improvement in their overall recruiting and rankings.​

While these figures are crude (as mentioned before , followers of college football recruiting are not to be confused with rocket scientists) it
appears that the stability of a Division 1 Football Program has very little impact or effect upon its ability to recruit. In fact, it is clear that you could infer from these numbers that head coaching changes have positively impacted the recruiting at five schools UT recruits against each and every year. Since the coaching changes at Alabama and LSU, their borders have been closed down to other schools. UT can compete for prospects in these states if there are limited scholarships available from the state school and/or the state school decides not to recruit a given prospect.

UT has had limited successes recruiting against North Carolina and less success against Florida and Notre Dame since each Program went through a coaching change.​

I found it interesting that over the same period when these changes occurred, both UT and Florida State, programs with Head Coaches firmly entrenched, saw their average recruiting rankings fall substantially. UT’s ranking fell on average nationally to a point where over the last three recruiting seasons their average recruiting ranking is outside the top 20.​

I think recruiting is more about meeting needs than signing highly rated players that don't fill a need or fit in your system but one cant quantify "meeting your needs" . The numbers are provided to show trends and more importantly or your review and to allow anyone who reads this to arrive at their own conclusion about whether a 7 year contract is necessary to ensure continued success on the recruiting trail. I find it hard to support that line of reasoning .​

Just keep these numbers in mind when you are told one of the reasons for this new contract is for recruiting purposes. I have looked over the numbers and frankly I can’t find the connection between head coaching longevity/stability and prolonged recruiting success.​

GO VOLS
X​

It amazes me that Fulmer would even take a pay raise. I mean what has he done over the last ten years. The only thing Fulmer has done consistently is make us a mediocre program in the SEC.

If Hamilton, the Athletics Board and a few wealthy donors want to give Phil $3 million a year just for the heck of it, then fine. It's thier money and they can do what they want with it. I don't even have a problem with a seven-year contract extension. Where my blood gets boiling though is when they discuss increasing the buyout from $1 million to $5 million with the economy teetering on a potentially deep recession, and doing it one year removed from a season when even UTBOT members were ready to give Phill the axe. This move is clearly designed to keep Fulmer entrenched regardless of the on-the-field product. If the next few seasons are bad, which I kind of suspect they will be (imagine that?), then there is a built in excuse for not getting rid of Fulmer, or $5 million excuses if you will. A $1 million buyout is enough for the ADept. to absorb. $5 million may not be. More to the point, the buyout will be stand for the term of the contract regardless of whether Hamilton is still around or not. I think these guys see the writing on the wall. They know that they have been significantly outrecruited two the past three years. They also know what they are up against in terms of the coaching talent in the conference. I think this move is purely designed to insulate Fulmer, and all of his hangers on, from any further accountability for the next six years.

I don't think it really matters. If the team "struggles to compete" over the next few years as many of you seem to think then PF will retire.

I just hope more of you jump on the Fire Fulmer Wagon and maybe start boycotting games so I can get some decent tickets for less than $100 a pop.

Wow, so much for merit based pay. How in the heck can they justify paying Fulmer $3 million when his market value probably isn't half that? Its not like we are having to beat off would-be suitors for his services.

I would propose keeping his salary the same, offer huge bonuses for winning the SEC, NC and making BCS bowls.

A $5M buyout? That is pretty insulting too, results will not improve with that type of insulation.

I'm not even a Fulmer hater, but this is a very very bad contract. Who would approve this type of deal, it makes absolutely NO business sense at all.

If Hamilton, the Athletics Board and a few wealthy donors want to give Phil $3 million a year just for the heck of it, then fine. It's thier money and they can do what they want with it. I don't even have a problem with a seven-year contract extension. Where my blood gets boiling though is when they discuss increasing the buyout from $1 million to $5 million with the economy teetering on a potentially deep recession, and doing it one year removed from a season when even UTBOT members were ready to give Phill the axe. This move is clearly designed to keep Fulmer entrenched regardless of the on-the-field product. If the next few seasons are bad, which I kind of suspect they will be (imagine that?), then there is a built in excuse for not getting rid of Fulmer, or $5 million excuses if you will. A $1 million buyout is enough for the ADept. to absorb. $5 million may not be. More to the point, the buyout will be stand for the term of the contract regardless of whether Hamilton is still around or not. I think these guys see the writing on the wall. They know that they have been significantly outrecruited two the past three years. They also know what they are up against in terms of the coaching talent in the conference. I think this move is purely designed to insulate Fulmer, and all of his hangers on, from any further accountability for the next six years.

The only reason Fulmer is still coach at UT is because of the National Title a whopping ten years ago. Its like since he won a national title he can lose as many games as possible and not win the SEC in a decade. Many Tennessee fans and alumnus are satisfied with being very average and want to keep Fulmer the coach at all costs. I just cant see whats so great about the guy, in all honesty he should have been fired a couple of years ago.

I don't think it really matters. If the team "struggles to compete" over the next few years as many of you seem to think then PF will retire.

I just hope more of you jump on the Fire Fulmer Wagon and maybe start boycotting games so I can get some decent tickets for less than $100 a pop.

There are plenty of tickets left...

UT's Fulmer, Pearl get new contract deals / Knoxville, Tennessee - Breaking News, News, Weather, Sports and Traffic from VolunteerTV.com.

Concerning Fulmer's new contract Wednesday morning, UT Athletic Director Mike Hamilton said, "There's a built-in annual increase based on performance, where he can actually have additional increases and we think it's a very fair package in the context of what's going on out there nationally."

Fulmer's new contract also included a $1 million longevity bonus in 2012 for 20 years as head coach, and an automatic $150,000 annual raise.

Fulmer could get up to a $1 million automatic pay increase if he meets certain goals including an SEC Championship, playing in a BCS bowl game, and winning the BCS National Championship.

It amazes me that Fulmer would even take a pay raise. I mean what has he done over the last ten years. The only thing Fulmer has done consistently is make us a mediocre program in the SEC.

I'm eagerly anticipating the thread about when you turned down a pay raise at your job.

PJ deserves to be a GURU whenever the next votes come out. He makes more sense than most on this board including some current GURUs.

Fulmer's raise is all about credibility. It helps in recruiting and you can't really refute that. Also, as TVA said, tickets are still available for a number of games. But UT will still make good money no matter how long Fulmer is at the helm and no matter how many 8-5 seasons he leads us to.

PJ deserves to be a GURU whenever the next votes come out. He makes more sense than most on this board including some current GURUs.

Fulmer's raise is all about credibility. It helps in recruiting and you can't really refute that. Also, as TVA said, tickets are still available for a number of games. But UT will still make good money no matter how long Fulmer is at the helm and no matter how many 8-5 seasons he leads us to.

The whole point of that entire article was to shoot down that myth. He even pointed out examples where he blew that myth to pieces...

While these figures are crude (as mentioned before , followers of college football recruiting are not to be confused with rocket scientists) it
appears that the stability of a Division 1 Football Program has very little impact or effect upon its ability to recruit. In fact, it is clear that you could infer from these numbers that head coaching changes have positively impacted the recruiting at five schools UT recruits against each and every year. Since the coaching changes at Alabama and LSU, their borders have been closed down to other schools. UT can compete for prospects in these states if there are limited scholarships available from the state school and/or the state school decides not to recruit a given prospect.

There are plenty of tickets left...

Well I live in Memphis and usually make one big SEC game each year. This year it will probably be UF but since I won't drive up there without tickets in hand and a decent seat I usually spend about $200 a pair.

Is there a cheaper way to get a one game ticket for UF or Bama?

I'm eagerly anticipating the thread about when you turned down a pay raise at your job.

I was being sarcastic! I just cant understand giving someone a raise for doing absolutely nothing. Nothing personal against the guy, but what has he done for the program over the last ten years. Where are the SEC championships or BCS game appearances.

I don't mind the extension. They buyout change is wrong... and I don't think his compensation should change except for incentives to win the SEC, a BCS bowl, and/or finish in the top 10.

fwiw, the lengthy comparison of Fulmer to Meyer is ridiculous. Meyer won a NC and had several JR's jump to the NFL. That couple with a recruiting "lapse" the year he took over left alot of opportunity for young players. It is laughable to even start trying to compare the recruiting situation at UF to that at UT.

Last year makes a great illustration. FL HSFB produced over 40 4-5* players. Tn HSFB produced 5.

Not sure about 02 but in 05 UT's highly rated class was in spite of not having instate talent... not because of it. Coker, Rawls, and Cox were 4*'s. Turner and Oher were the only other highly rated prospects that year.

07 was an abnormally good year for Tn HSFB. There were 10 4-5* players and UT got 4 of them. Two were Catholic school kids that went to ND.

He's right about burning bridges with instate HS coaches and schools. However that's a catch-22. Some of those instate kids they'd need to take to develop those relationships would hurt the teams overall talent level.

When your state produces 40+ or 25+ or even 15+ blue chip prospects every year like FL, GA, AL repectively then you can afford to make those investments. When your state avgs only 5 or 6... with many of them in Memphis... you can't.

I doubt the buyout is that high......if it is shame on all of those involved.

VN Store

Back