The Initial '08-'09 Hoops Trap 10.

hatvol96

Realizing that academics, defections, and summer shenanigans will inevitably impact some of these teams, here is the first Halfcourt Trap Top 10 for the '08-'09 season:

1. Pitt. Jamie Dixon's most talented squad will be tough enough to survive the meat grinder in the Big East and bring the trophy to the Steel City.
2. North Carolina. By far the most talented team in the country. However, their playing with both hands firmly placed around their throats against Georgetown and Kansas in the last two NCAA tourneys tells me there is a lack of testicular fortitiude on that squad.
3. Louisville. Had they played UNC in any of the other 49 states in the regional final, they would have been in the Final Four last season. Pitino will not have to worry about playing on someone else's court on the regionals this year.
4. Arizona State. From the NIT to the Final Four. Herb Sendek will lead Pendergraph and Harden to college basketball's promised land.
5. UCONN. Jim Calhoun doesn't stay out of the spotlight for long. The Huskies will be deep and talented. That recipe has won them two National Championships.
6. Michigan State. Tom Izzo is due for another deep tourney run. He now has the horses to do so.
7. Villanova. Guards win in college basketball. Nobody has a more explosive backcourt at their disposal than Jay Wright.
8. UCLA. Despite their early defections to the NBA, the Bruins will be just fine. Ben Howland will never allow them to fall far.
9. Memphis. Another program that will weather their personnel losses just fine. Cal has enough talent at his disposal to make a run at a fourth straight Elite 8.
10. Tennessee. The Vols will put the most physically talented team in program history on the floor. Experience and point guard play are the only question marks that keep them out of the top 5.

i would love to hear NCSU fans around here should Herb make it to the f4 with ASU.

that would be hilarious......they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

i would love to hear NCSU fans around here should Herb make it to the f4 with ASU.

that would be hilarious......they couldn't wait to run him out of town.
Yeah, Sidney Lowe was a huge upgrade. To quote the American Philosophers Cinderella, "Don't know what you've got til it's gone."

Hat....you're the man...but you've got 1 and 2 backwards...

UNC/G'Town 07...I think you saw a team with 3 freshman in the lineup getting outclassed by a talented and experienced team...

UNC/Kansas 08 was defintely a choke job....but I also think it will be one of the main reasons they win it all this year...

UNC is so talented, deep and experienced this year...and the rest of the field is so far behind....at this point I don't see anyone that can keep up

Hat....you're the man...but you've got 1 and 2 backwards...

UNC/G'Town 07...I think you saw a team with 3 freshman in the lineup getting outclassed by a talented and experienced team...

UNC/Kansas 08 was defintely a choke job....but I also think it will be one of the main reasons they win it all this year...

UNC is so talented, deep and experienced this year...and the rest of the field is so far behind....at this point I don't see anyone that can keep up
Chokers choke in big games. It's what they do.

Hat, I know it's early, very early, but with your knowledge who do you see in the FF next season. TIA.

10. Tennessee. The Vols will put the most physically talented team in program history on the floor. Experience and point guard play are the only question marks that keep them out of the top 5.

Go ahead and put them in the top 7 Hat. Bobby Maze is "The Solution". Ask anyone who went to the RTL, this kid is awesome at finishing in traffic and has a decent midrange and outside game. He is quick on quick and a tenacious defender. On top of that West looks like he will be a servicable back up.

Yeah, Sidney Lowe was a huge upgrade. To quote the American Philosophers Cinderella, "Don't know what you've got til it's gone."
you got that right.....they are all learning a valuable lesson, and have since turned their venom to the AD........who succumbed to their pressure.......it's very funny.

NCSU fans are Bammers with out the history.

Go ahead and put them in the top 7 Hat. Bobby Maze is "The Solution". Ask anyone who went to the RTL, this kid is awesome at finishing in traffic and has a decent midrange and outside game. He is quick on quick and a tenacious defender. On top of that West looks like he will be a servicable back up.

Jordan Howell looked like that last year too...

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on Bobby Maze if you were able to see him at the RTL this year.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on Bobby Maze if you were able to see him at the RTL this year.
I didn't make it to any of the RTL games. I am generally wary of anything someone does in the summer, due to the fact that defense is usually very lax during those games. That said, people whose opinions I respect have told me that Maze looks like a totally different player than the guy who was totally lost as a frosh at OU.

I didn't make it to any of the RTL games. I am generally wary of anything someone does in the summer, due to the fact that defense is usually very lax during those games. That said, people whose opinions I respect have told me that Maze looks like a totally different player than the guy who was totally lost as a frosh at OU.

The only real info on Maze I had was from an OU fan who said he came in with an injury, sat out the first few games, played off the bench for a few games, then started pretty much the rest of the season.

Just a look at his minutes there seems to confirm this:
Bobby Maze - Oklahoma Sooners - NCAA Basketball - Yahoo! Sports

That seems pretty impressive for a Freshman to come off an injury that significant and earn the starting spot, but I don't know, perhaps Oklahoma had nobody else at the PG spot.

But you say he looked lost and you tend to know what you're talking about.

The only real info on Maze I had was from an OU fan who said he came in with an injury, sat out the first few games, played off the bench for a few games, then started pretty much the rest of the season.

Just a look at his minutes there seems to confirm this:
Bobby Maze - Oklahoma Sooners - NCAA Basketball - Yahoo! Sports

That seems pretty impressive for a Freshman to come off an injury that significant and earn the starting spot, but I don't know, perhaps Oklahoma had nobody else at the PG spot.

But you say he looked lost and you tend to know what you're talking about.
OU wasn't very good that year. However, it's not surprising for a freshman point guard to look lost. This season will be a better indicator of what kind of player he is.

I went to a bar for the tourney and watched many games this year. It was a blast and I cant wait till next year. The bar tender was a huge PITT fan.

Who was the PITT player who had an injury at the end of the season into the tourney?
They had a number of guys banged up during the season. Lavance Fields was dinged up at the end of the year and they lost Mike Cook for the season against Duke in December.

They had a number of guys banged up during the season. Lavance Fields was dinged up at the end of the year and they lost Mike Cook for the season against Duke in December.
The PITT fan was telling me with all of the injuries he was suprised at how the team pulled it together to make a run.

VN Store

Back