2025 Recruiting

I just hope Coach Caldwell is also taking into account players character and the role it plays in recruiting/improving your team.

Not every player is good for what you are trying to build, especially if you haven't done it at this level. So until she gets familiar with recruiting this level, I hope she has a sense of discernment and a willingness to sit a player (or send them packing) who is detrimental to the team regardless of who they are.

And hopefully the assistants that she brought in that she aren't familiar with will share in her vision and not have a vision/agenda of their own.

I just hope Coach Caldwell is also taking into account players character and the role it plays in recruiting/improving your team.

Not every player is good for what you are trying to build, especially if you haven't done it at this level. So until she gets familiar with recruiting this level, I hope she has a sense of discernment and a willingness to sit a player (or send them packing) who is detrimental to the team regardless of who they are.

And hopefully the assistants that she brought in that she aren't familiar with will share in her vision and not have a vision/agenda of their own.
Nah, I'm worried about almost everything, but not this. I don't think judging and managing character changes much at different levels. CKC seems very smart and has been coaching young women for a while. She'll make her expectations clear and she'll be fine. Then there's also all the experience of the other coaches. They know how to build a successful roster character wise.

Nah, I'm worried about almost everything, but not this. I don't think judging and managing character changes much at different levels. CKC seems very smart and has been coaching young women for a while. She'll make her expectations clear and she'll be fine. Then there's also all the experience of the other coaches. They know how to build a successful roster character wise.
This helped settle my nerves on this point.

Reactions: glv98
I think with the rise in popularity in women’s basketball you can recruit a little lower because the talent pool is a little deeper than back in the day.
I would disagree.. The talent pool is differnt for players ranked outside of the Top 50---- Those are just glue kids that can play anywhere

Ditto.

What I am about to say may raise a few eyebrows and maybe even get a few groans, but my early-EARLY perception of Caldwell and how she operates puts me WAY more in the mind of Pat Head Summitt than either Holly or Kellie did.

I can already tell she is driven and confident without being arrogant. She will be demanding and encouraging with her players and staff, and sometimes they will get soooo mad at her for pushing them so darn hard. But I feel like, as with Pat, they'll hate her during hard practices, but they'll also know she's pushing them because she truly does see they have it in them to do it, and she cares about them enough to want them to feel what it's like to be the best they can be.

Like Pat, Kim appears to have strong faith and leans into that. But even GOD knew Pat Summitt wasn't to be trifled with. I don't get the impression Kim will be, either.

And like Pat, Kim will NOT pretend she has all the answers if she doesn't. Reaching out for help and advice was never something Pat was hesitant to do because her priority was her players and making them better, not her own ego. I can already sense Kim is the same way.

I hesitated to even write this because I know we are all busy and happy to be looking to the future and not so much to the past right now. But personality types are personality types. Sometimes it just so happens that two people from different generations and circumstances can have similar qualities, and I'm sensing in this young Caldwell kid (so far!) some of what I respected and admired a great deal in a great former coach, and that's a good thing. 🧡

I never stated it as a worry, again I hope she is prepared to handle it right away if anything becomes an issue. And I say that to say, what you can do and get away with and or is tolerated at Alabama, Glenville State, Marshall, or Mississippi State, doesn't mean it will be tolerated at UT.

The two coaches she brought with her, she's had a relationship with, the two she landed from the other SEC schools she's getting to know, and all it takes is one to have a totally different agenda.

Wishing her the best and again hope she can see through those who aren't on the same page she is on.

Ditto.

What I am about to say may raise a few eyebrows and maybe even get a few groans, but my early-EARLY perception of Caldwell and how she operates puts me WAY more in the mind of Pat Head Summitt than either Holly or Kellie did.

I can already tell she is driven and confident without being arrogant. She will be demanding and encouraging with her players and staff, and sometimes they will get soooo mad at her for pushing them so darn hard. But I feel like, as with Pat, they'll hate her during hard practices, but they'll also know she's pushing them because she truly does see they have it in them to do it, and she cares about them enough to want them to feel what it's like to be the best they can be.

Like Pat, Kim appears to have strong faith and leans into that. But even GOD knew Pat Summitt wasn't to be trifled with. I don't get the impression Kim will be, either.

And like Pat, Kim will NOT pretend she has all the answers if she doesn't. Reaching out for help and advice was never something Pat was hesitant to do because her priority was her players and making them better, not her own ego. I can already sense Kim is the same way.

I hesitated to even write this because I know we are all busy and happy to be looking to the future and not so much to the past right now. But personality types are personality types. Sometimes it just so happens that two people from different generations and circumstances can have similar qualities, and I'm sensing in this young Caldwell kid (so far!) some of what I respected and admired a great deal in a great former coach, and that's a good thing. 🧡
Yep.

Why would private companies give a bunch of money to someone who isn’t a top 5 recruit or proven anything at the college level?
REASON #1 THE PLAYER HAS BUILT UP S HUGE INTERNET. Oodles of followers. Every time a fan clicks on their instagram, that private sponsor company gets the equivalent of an ad that it pays for. See the Cavinder Twins.

Why would private companies give a bunch of money to someone who isn’t a top 5 recruit or proven anything at the college level?
Reply number 2;

Flau'jae was not close to a top 5 recruit and yet she is now considered the number one NIL earner in the game AND was close coming out of high school. Why? She had one of the biggest internet following of all due to her hip hop music. According to one recent reviewer, she is this year's number one NIL recipient - above Paige who also has a big internet following.

Reply number 2;

Flau'jae was not close to a top 5 recruit and yet she is now considered the number one NIL earner in the game AND was close coming out of high school. Why? She had one of the biggest internet following of all due to her hip hop music. According to one recent reviewer, she is this year's number one NIL recipient - above Paige who also has a big internet following.
I agree that social media influencers have big NIL deals…. most women’s basketball players are not that…. Tessa Johnson for example has 271,000 tic tok followers and the cavinder twins have 4.5 million. You can also make that no matter what school that you join. Take up front money and be an influencer.

It's so crazy to think about how long LV fans have been wanting more top guards at TN. CKC is about to recruit a whole team of guards with just a few post players. "Get the ball to the paint" might be a phrase that's retired this year. It's actually very exciting to see them at least try something different. The game has evolved and we are about to see it first hand at TN.

It's so crazy to think about how long LV fans have been wanting more top guards at TN. CKC is about to recruit a whole team of guards with just a few post players. "Get the ball to the paint" might be a phrase that's retired this year. It's actually very exciting to see them at least try something different. The game has evolved and we are about to see it first hand at TN.
Thank you. Finally, someone on this board gets it.

Reactions: Volsfan2018

VN Store

Back