Tough Test in Week One

I would expect CJP to have the same principles in his D that Saban uses. That being multiple look fronts with lots of different people coming on passing downs although most times it won't be a true blitz as they'll still rush only 4. Take away the seams by jamming the TE with LB's and having the primary responsibility of the S to take away any seam route. Running pattern match pass defense usually from a 1 high formation. There are a lot of calls and rotations I don't fully understand but the primary principle is to take away the center of the field and force the QB to throw to the outside of the D. These are longer more difficult throws and with the ball in the air longer gives the D time to react. Saban will force or let you throw the ball side ways and behind the LOS all day and rely on his LB's and Safeties to tackle in space. The CB's will normally be in basically man with the 1 receivers but with help to the center of the field. It will be important for the Vols to get enough pressure on Grier to keep him from going through all his progressions and from receivers being able to make more than one move. You have to be able to make some big defensive plays against a team like UWV as their offense will make some on you. Sacks and INTs are a must to keep the Vols in the game. JM2C

I would expect CJP to have the same principles in his D that Saban uses. That being multiple look fronts with lots of different people coming on passing downs although most times it won't be a true blitz as they'll still rush only 4. Take away the seams by jamming the TE with LB's and having the primary responsibility of the S to take away any seam route. Running pattern match pass defense usually from a 1 high formation. There are a lot of calls and rotations I don't fully understand but the primary principle is to take away the center of the field and force the QB to throw to the outside of the D. These are longer more difficult throws and with the ball in the air longer gives the D time to react. Saban will force or let you throw the ball side ways and behind the LOS all day and rely on his LB's and Safeties to tackle in space. The CB's will normally be in basically man with the 1 receivers but with help to the center of the field. It will be important for the Vols to get enough pressure on Grier to keep him from going through all his progressions and from receivers being able to make more than one move. You have to be able to make some big defensive plays against a team like UWV as their offense will make some on you. Sacks and INTs are a must to keep the Vols in the game. JM2C
also allows you to use the out of bounds as extra defenders. 13 on 11.

i like these kinds of articles, but there's some assumptions being made regarding personnel and scheme, especially offensively for us.

we'll see how it shakes out when we get to Charlotte.

UOTE="jakez4ut, post: 15632962, member: 1975"]also allows you to use the out of bounds as extra defenders. 13 on 11.

i like these kinds of articles, but there's some assumptions being made regarding personnel and scheme, especially offensively for us.

we'll see how it shakes out when we get to Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

Almost did not post this article, because it is dated from May. This time of year, three months seems like a long time ago. I noticed it covers stuff guys here are still cussing and discussing, and I like the tension building tone. Do I think our guys can beat WV? Yes, and I say that knowing that a win requires the team to take their play up a couple of levels -- with a major gut check.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volanta
Almost did not post this article, because it is dated from May. This time of year, three months seems like a long time ago. I noticed it covers stuff guys here are still cussing and discussing, and I like the tension building tone. Do I think our guys can beat WV? Yes, and I say that knowing that a win requires the team to take it up a couple of levels -- with a major freaking gut check.
completely missed that.

Reactions: Volanta
A lot is being made of the fact that West Virginia is coming into this season with some expectations despite being 7-6 last year. Lost to basically every "good team" they played. That's true, but we really don't match up well against them. They should be well-equipped to take advantage of our weaknesses and we aren't well-equipped to take advantage of theirs. There's a lot of orange-colored glasses there...they went 7-6 last year so that means they actually aren't all that good, but we went 4-8 last year and it's simply assumed we'll be better. Well, what if they are better too? After all, they are returning a good QB and 2 WRs who will be playing on Sundays and basically their entire defense. We have a brand new head coach installing a brand new offense and defense. They should be double-digit favorites.

I'd look to the Florida game as Pruitt's first real chance to win a game he "shouldn't." I expect almost everyone in the national media to pick Florida to beat us despite the fact they went 4-7 last year and have a bunch of question marks too, and it's at Neyland.

I am not convinced that West Virginia has a great defense. I think we will be able to run and hopefully that will open up a nice passing game. I think we will be improved and ready to play. GBO!

Reactions: Vol Main
Thanks for the input on how CJP likes to run the D. How well our offense performs will be key and I suspect UT would like to play ball control, almost a necessity IMO. WVU is massive across the offensive front to protect Grier. They rely on their offense to win games and I don't think they won a game after Grier went down with injury. UT needs to keep him guessing and on the sidelines as much as possible. It will be an added bonus if our LB's know how to utilize CJP's ever changing scheme to perfection.

Remember those butterflies in your gut when we were in a dog fight and you just knew we were going to pull it out. I don't... but I look forward to some new emotions on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for the input on how CJP likes to run the D. How well our offense performs will be key and I suspect UT would like to play ball control, almost a necessity IMO. WVU is massive across the offensive front to protect Grier. They rely on their offense to win games and I don't think they won a game after Grier went down with injury. UT needs to keep him guessing and on the sidelines as much as possible. It will be an added bonus if our LB's know how to utilize CJP's ever changing scheme to perfection.

Some 15 play 80 yard drives running it down their throats while eating 8:45 off the clock and scoring standing up on a 4 yard dive play would sure help the situation no doubt! Especially if you could follow it up with a 3 and out and another one :eek::p

Reactions: VolsnRavens
It’s a new year but looking at thier body of work last year it’ll be close. Even in games they were favored they barely won. With the exception of D2 schools we’re talking within 10 points in most cases. They had to outscore people to win the D wasn’t gonna do it. With actual coaches who can gameplan and adjust I think Tennessee has a lot more talent raw or otberwise than folks give credit. A steady running game and long drives keeps Greer drinking Gatorade.

It won’t be a blowout but I think Tennessee plays well enough to edge out a 34-27 victory.

A lot is being made of the fact that West Virginia is coming into this season with some expectations despite being 7-6 last year. Lost to basically every "good team" they played. That's true, but we really don't match up well against them. They should be well-equipped to take advantage of our weaknesses and we aren't well-equipped to take advantage of theirs. There's a lot of orange-colored glasses there...they went 7-6 last year so that means they actually aren't all that good, but we went 4-8 last year and it's simply assumed we'll be better. Well, what if they are better too? After all, they are returning a good QB and 2 WRs who will be playing on Sundays and basically their entire defense. We have a brand new head coach installing a brand new offense and defense. They should be double-digit favorites.

I'd look to the Florida game as Pruitt's first real chance to win a game he "shouldn't." I expect almost everyone in the national media to pick Florida to beat us despite the fact they went 4-7 last year and have a bunch of question marks too, and it's at Neyland.
I'll concede that until we see it their offense is a bad match up for our defense.

But I do think our offense could be a bad match up against their defense. Let's face it it's not like they're some overpowering dominant defense. They're small and quick.

We should be able to run right at them.

I'll concede that until we see it their offense is a bad match up for our defense.

But I do think our offense could be a bad match up against their defense. Let's face it it's not like they're some overpowering dominant defense. They're small and quick.

We should be able to run right at them.

I think we should be able to run the ball, and will. If our D line can can be a factor...we win this game...

All boils down to the trenches...

A veteran QB and 2 veteran stud wr's and a good O-line, a year bigger, stronger, and better vs our D composed of an entirely new system with new coaches, a chunk of very new players.

On the flip side a suspect D but with players brought in to try and fix their weak spots, the rest a year bigger, stronger, and better vs our mediocre QB or a new QB with a very suspect O-line, RB's that none have ever been "the guy", wr's that have seemed to have butterfingers as bad as any set of D1 wr's I can think of, in a new system with a new coach and a chunk of very new players. On the road.

Not saying it's not doable, but it'll be an uphill battle. I do believe UT has a pretty big talent advantage but completely revamping the entire team to a new system and having them play like a top 25 team week 1, on the road, with a HC that's never ever ever ever even been a HC at this level, like I said, an uphill battle.

I hope for victory but its alot to "expect" them to have their shite together to that level on day 1 of football season me thinks.

I think our chance to win this game entirely relies on consistency on the D Line & a constant barrage of pounding the ball.

I am not convinced that West Virginia has a great defense. I think we will be able to run and hopefully that will open up a nice passing game. I think we will be improved and ready to play. GBO!
They don't have a great defense. The problem is that our offense is awful, or at least the last time we saw it it was awful. I am not all that optimistic it will improve all that much in 2018. We have 2 O-linemen already who haven't seen any contact in practice yet.

A lot is being made of the fact that West Virginia is coming into this season with some expectations despite being 7-6 last year. Lost to basically every "good team" they played. That's true, but we really don't match up well against them. They should be well-equipped to take advantage of our weaknesses and we aren't well-equipped to take advantage of theirs.

I'm 100% in disagreement here.

I think we match up with them extremely well. I'm not just saying that because I'm a UT fan. I said the exact opposite last season with Georgia Tech and 2015 versus Arkansas. Our run defense was a huge concern last season and GT ate us alive on the ground. Versus WV, their strength is their passing game, and I'd see our strength on defense being the DBs and LBs in coverage.

Likewise, WV's weakness is their run defense. They run a base 3-3-5 defense, which is better designed to deal with Air Raid type offenses, of which we don't have. Our strength is our running game with Chandler and Jordan. I think we'll run all over their D.

It'll be a tough game for us since they have Grier and it's our first game under the new staff, but I actually think WV is a pretty ideal opponent for us matchup wise. If we can avoid turnovers, we have a very good shot.

Last edited:
They don't have a great defense. The problem is that our offense is awful, or at least the last time we saw it it was awful. I am not all that optimistic it will improve all that much in 2018. We have 2 O-linemen already who haven't seen any contact in practice yet.
Hall is the only one that's still being brought along slowly. Smith is on schedule and participating in basically everything at this point. Jennings being held out as precautionary. that's it. we're as healthy right now as we've probably been in two years.

to me this game boils down to 2 things....how effective are we with the running game, and what does that allow the rest of the offense to do? and whether or not we can tackle in space. they're going to get yards. they're going to score. they just have to earn it, and we need to be better than average on 3rd downs.

this game is not david vs. goliath.

VN Store

Back