A Realistic West Virginia Fan

Good morning VolNation! I am a die hard West Virginia sports fan. Like you all, every year brings new hopes and expectations into our programs (of course I believe we are going to go undefeated and win the national championship).

This year should be interesting because we have such high expectations and a lot of returners on offense. However, every year when we have big expectations something bad happens. For instance, in 2012 we started 5-0, but finished the season 7-5. We were one win away from going to the National Championship in 2007, but we do not talk about that day. We have a saying in West Virginia that "West Virginia will always break your heart". No matter what the sport it seems like they always find some way to come up short.

In recent years, defense has been our #1 problem. I have no clue what to expect from them this year. However, I do expect them to be better than last year. I don't know how much better, but they have to be. We received transfers from USC and Clemson to help us on our defensive line and apparently they have looked good in practice. Also, we have a freshman 4 star recruit (yes four stars are a big deal for us) that has been turning heads in practice. The linebackers will be solid led by David Long (this guy can play). The biggest question mark will be the secondary and who knows how they will produce.

Every fan base has their bad eggs, but that's what makes college football so exciting. Our happiness is determined by what 18-22 year olds do on a football field. I believe this game will be extremely close. I do not think we will beat you all by three touchdowns (even though it would be nice). I expect you all to be well prepared and pumped up to play. I expect the final score to be WVU 38 Tenn 30, at least I hope.

I just wanted to wish you all best of luck and hope both teams stay injury free. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your fan base. Through thick and thin you stay behind your team. When WVU loses a few games the stands begin to become less and less filled, but you will always see Tennessee's stadium full even if they are 4-8.

If you all have any questions about WVU, please feel free to ask!

LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS! AND EAT **** PITT!

Good morning VolNation! I am a die hard West Virginia sports fan. Like you all, every year brings new hopes and expectations into our programs (of course I believe we are going to go undefeated and win the national championship).

This year should be interesting because we have such high expectations and a lot of returners on offense. However, every year when we have big expectations something bad happens. For instance, in 2012 we started 5-0, but finished the season 7-5. We were one win away from going to the National Championship in 2007, but we do not talk about that day. We have a saying in West Virginia that "West Virginia will always break your heart". No matter what the sport it seems like they always find some way to come up short.

In recent years, defense has been our #1 problem. I have no clue what to expect from them this year. However, I do expect them to be better than last year. I don't know how much better, but they have to be. We received transfers from USC and Clemson to help us on our defensive line and apparently they have looked good in practice. Also, we have a freshman 4 star recruit (yes four stars are a big deal for us) that has been turning heads in practice. The linebackers will be solid led by David Long (this guy can play). The biggest question mark will be the secondary and who knows how they will produce.

Every fan base has their bad eggs, but that's what makes college football so exciting. Our happiness is determined by what 18-22 year olds do on a football field. I believe this game will be extremely close. I do not think we will beat you all by three touchdowns (even though it would be nice). I expect you all to be well prepared and pumped up to play. I expect the final score to be WVU 38 Tenn 30, at least I hope.

I just wanted to wish you all best of luck and hope both teams stay injury free. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your fan base. Through thick and thin you stay behind your team. When WVU loses a few games the stands begin to become less and less filled, but you will always see Tennessee's stadium full even if they are 4-8.

Welcome to VolNation one of the best football forums around . There’s tons to see here , don’t be offended by our WV look alike thread , we do that with every team we play to have fun .

Seems pretty realistic. I think the best case scenario for us is that our line shows up healthy, and we can run the ball at will. We have two big time players on the line that are having health concerns, and some unknowns. That makes for plenty of question marks.

Then, we have our defensive back head coach who looks like he might be putting 2 very talented freshman in the 4 deep at corner.

If we can get good coverage from our secondary, control the clock with a dominating run game, we can win similar to how VT played you guys last year. If not, it could get ugly.

Classy post IMO. Stay a while. This is a great forum

Reactions: BigDave

Coach Majors does not approve. In all seriousness, welcome to VN.

I say let's get it on! It's time for some football!

55835488-mississippi-rebels-v-tennessee-volunteers.jpg.jpg

As a West Virginian who is a huge Vol fan, I'm seriously hoping I don't get hit in the head with a beer bottle by my own people at the game. WVU fans are known for being pretty... brutal. Go Vols!
lol, agreed. i went to the last back yard brawl, and whilst standing in line for beer (which was awesome at a regular season college game) this 10 year old kid comes out wearing a PItt sweatshirt, and this, probably mid 40's, grown man yelled at the kid "eat **** Pitt!!".

i was like dayumn......and i saw two fights outside the stadium immediately following the game.

Tough choice, but I'd have to go with biscuits. If you are ever in WV you have to stop at Tudor's Biscuit World. We are one of the biggest states for a reason!
I love Tudors, best breakfast sandwiches I've ever had. Went to WV to support the boy scout jamboree the 1st year it was held up there. We controlled all the helos flying around in a moblie Air Traiffic tower. WV is a beautiful place. Good luck, GO VOLS!!!

As a West Virginian who is a huge Vol fan, I'm seriously hoping I don't get hit in the head with a beer bottle by my own people at the game. WVU fans are known for being pretty... brutal. Go Vols!

An Auburn friend of mine said he had the most fun and the most fear at any away game he’s ever gone to in Morgantown. This is a pretty shy low key kind of guy. He said that the younger WVU fans that were drunk cussed him out and wanted to fight him. But, he said their older fans were super nice and offered him food and drink. Sounds like most SEC fan bases to me.

An Auburn friend of mine said he had the most fun and the most fear at any away game he’s ever gone to in Morgantown. This is a pretty shy low key kind of guy. He said that the younger WVU fans that were drunk cussed him out and wanted to fight him. But, he said their older fans were super nice and offered him food and drink. Sounds like most SEC fan bases to me.
lol, i dunno how receptive they'd be to the opposing fan base. i can say i was glad i was an impartial visitor to the Pitt/WVU game. i just wore a Penguins sweatshirt, everybody liked me.

tailgating was fun, and i found most to be very personable and there for a good time. but to your point, yeah, there was some "roughnecks" there too. nothing you wouldn't find at probably any SEC stadium on a given Saturday. just on A LOT smaller scale.......

Reactions: mickey1969
I’ve never understood telling a fan of a team you’re about to play “good luck”. Good luck with what? Why would I want your team to have good fortune on the field? The object is to win the game isn’t it?

Welcome to VN , and glad to hear from a realistic fan. I agree the game will be close , Tenn 31-28 , ground game comes up big for us

Reactions: Vol4life2
I’ve never understood telling a fan of a team you’re about to play “good luck”. Good luck with what? Why would I want your team to have good fortune on the field? The object is to win the game isn’t it?

To me, that’s always just been a courtesy.
It refers to what happens before and after the game to that person.
It’s not about the game itself.
It’s similar to telling someone to have a safe trip.

It can be taken 2 different ways. 1st saying I hope both teams play a good hard fought game, no serious injuries, both teams leave it on the field, but of course with the good guys in Orange as the winners. 2nd is good luck your team is going to need it cause WGWTFA!!! Take as you wish!

I remember watching that 2007 game against Pitt from my hotel room in Atlanta when UT played LSU in the SEC championship and Erik Ainge had an amazing 4th quarter meltdown. My WVU friends still claim to this day that Rich Rod threw that game. What do you think ?

It's called civility, and its practiced by those of us that understand while we love the sport it is just recreation.

VN Store

Back