Vols Practice Thread #11

Fingers

Trey Smith working at LT today.

Tennessee juco transfer TE Dominick Wood-Anderson is expected to meet with the media on Thursday. He hasn't played in a game yet. For any program, doing interviews before you play is rare. That should tell you a lot about his role on the team and Pruitt's opinion of his maturity.
-David Ubben

Jahmir Johnson is starting to come along on the offensive line.

Tennessee’s coaching staff is still working in Chance Hall to the offensive line rotation, and I would expect him to scrimmage when the Vols go out for their second scrimmage of the fall this weekend.

Riley Locklear is going to be interesting to keep an eye on for the offensive line. He and Ryan Johnson are likely vying for a starting guard spot alongside either Trey Smith or Drew Richmond, whoever UT’s coaches decide will be the better play there. Right now, it’s looking like Smith will be the guy they place at one guard spot, and I think Locklear and Johnson are fighting for the other one right now.

Shawn Shamburger continues to work with the safeties, and I think he may have found a home there.

Kenneth George Jr. is an intriguing wildcard playing for the Vols at cornerback. I think he’s moved his way up in the rotation and could crack the two-deep at the beginning of the season.
-Nathanael Rutherford

Trey Smith was repping exclusively at left tackle during individual work.

for the second straight day, Drew Richmond, who refused to answer my question about playing right tackle earlier this preseason, was working at that very spot.

auan Jennings was out there but taking minimal reps. Jordan Murphy was routinely making one-handed catches.

Defensively, the position changes from Tuesday remained, as Dillion Bates was still with the ILBs and Kivon Bennett worked at OLB.

Darrin Kirkland Jr. and Chance Hall were working with the S&C staff for the second consecutive day. We’ll have to ask Jeremy Pruitt about their current status (especially their prospects at playing in Saturday’s scrimmage) later this evening. Also working on the side was backup o-linemen Devante Brooks and Eric Crosby, tight end James Brown and defensive back Sam Harvin.

Greg Emerson was working at nose tackle for multiple reps during DL drills.
-Jesse Simonton

Dkqs_JaWsAAvRtV.jpg:large

Trey Smith continues to get light contact work in individual drills and got reps at left tackle during Wednesday's open period. Drew Richmond worked at right tackle and Ryan Johnson at right guard during individual drills for the second consecutive practice. Brandon Kennedy appears locked in at center, while Riley Locklear and Jerome Carvin are working at left guard.

K'Rojhn Calbert got his reps at right guard, while Marcus Tatum was at right tackle and Jahmir Johnson at left tackle on Wednesday.

Freshman Kingston Harris worked at nose tackle for a second straight practice with junior college transfer Emmit Gooden and senior walk-on Paul Bain each getting more work at the defensive end spots, while freshman Greg Emerson continues to work at the nose and Mincey, Garland and sophomore Matthew Butler are working at defensive end.

Jauan Jennings went through individual drills with the wide receivers for a second day in a row, but he still appears to be short of 100 percent.
-Patrick Brown

Last edited:
I hope that Smith working at LT means one of our guards is having a good camp. Not promising if Richmond isn't playing well or Hall isn't healthy

Could just mean that they are handling Smith the same way as all the others, moving them around to several positions, Remember the coaches didnt get to see Smith in the spring. They have said they are figuring out their best 8 lineman and will substitute accordingly rather than being a 2 deep type of system... JMO

Could just mean that they are handling Smith the same way as all the others, moving them around to several positions, Remember the coaches didnt get to see Smith in the spring. They have said they are figuring out their best 8 lineman and will substitute accordingly rather than being a 2 deep type of system... JMO
They know what he can do at two spots and extrapolate that he’s the best at every position on the line...sometimes film is just what it looks like. They just don’t know how well the other candidates can handle what other spots are open.

Going to be disappointed if TE play is not a strength this year with all the Wood-Anderson talk. If he is half as good as the build up he has generated without a playing a snap yet, we should have a nice weapon.
agreed, just remember, a lot of what will determine his rate of success may not be all about receptions and TD's. he's a big dude, and will likely be relied upon a great deal in the run game, as well as being an outlet threat for the qb.

agreed, just remember, a lot of what will determine his rate of success may not be all about receptions and TD's. he's a big dude, and will likely be relied upon a great deal in the run game, as well as being an outlet threat for the qb.
I hope so. Last time I felt that we were solid at TE in blocking and receiving was with Michael Rivera.

Riley Locklear is going to be interesting to keep an eye on for the offensive line. He and Ryan Johnson are likely vying for a starting guard spot alongside either Trey Smith or Drew Richmond, whoever UT’s coaches decide will be the better play there. Right now, it’s looking like Smith will be the guy they place at one guard spot, and I think Locklear and Johnson are fighting for the other one right now.

These quotes make no sense. So was Trey working at Guard or Tackle? Or do we have another Smith?

Reactions: barrylee

These quotes make no sense. So was Trey working at Guard or Tackle? Or do we have another Smith?
haha...yeah, i can see that. i think they just reverted back to Smith play LG, Richmond LT and the two guards battling it out for the RG spot.

but you kinda have to read between the lines to get there...lol.

Many people have mentioned how Pruitt keeps a tighter grip on information coming from practices than Butch, but it's also interesting to consider that the information that does come out could be quite confusing to opposing teams. Pruitt has moved a lot of guys around position-wise, so opposing coaches reading the practice notes don't even necessarily know where a guy like Trey Smith is going to line up on the O-line.

I don't know if this is deliberate gamesmanship or not (Saban was certainly capable of it), but think about being a West Virginia D-lineman and you have know idea if you're going to win the lining-up-across-from-Trey-Smith lottery.

VN Store

Back