Will Pruitt be Offensively involved?

Dougie_D

Regarding our Defensive coaches, we are LOADED with experience and extremely defensive minded. We have about 4 coaches that could easily take over DC duties, including Pruitt. We also have Co-Defensive Coordinators.

On the other side, we have coaches that have dabbled their careers as OC's, but we don't have any Co-Offensive Coordinators. I'm surprised that Will Friend didn't take that title. With Helton as OC, I feel like their is some sort of uncertainty of what our Offense will be.

If our offense struggles, how much input do you think Pruitt will have to figuring it out how to make it work better? Or do you think he's just gonna have them figure it out?

Regarding our Defensive coaches, we are LOADED with experience and extremely defensive minded. We have about 4 coaches that could easily take over DC duties, including Pruitt. We also have Co-Defensive Coordinators.

On the other side, we have coaches that have dabbled their careers as OC's, but we don't have any Co-Offensive Coordinators. I'm surprised that Will Friend didn't take that title. With Helton as OC, I feel like their is some sort of uncertainty of what our Offense will be.

If our offense struggles, how much input do you think Pruitt will have to figuring it out how to make it work better? Or do you think he's just gonna have them figure it out?

He's stated several times he will give his input on the offense....

Reactions: OneVolNation
I don't remember if it was on video or published on a website originally, but I remembered just enough to locate
what Coach Helton said about Coach Pruitt's great offensive mind republished on another site. It does stand to reason
that someone who has proven to be a master at coaching against offenses first had to possess a high-level understanding of what makes them tick to be so successful.

Here is an excerpt:

“Everybody talks about coach Pruitt being a great defensive coach. He’s a great all-around coach,” Vols offensive coordinator Tyson Helton said. “In just over the eight months we’ve been able to sit down and talk about what is important about offensive football, about what we need to do and how we need to attack people. He brings a lot to the table in that area.” - Tennessee Offensive Coordinator Tyson Helton

source: Roepken, C. (2018, August 05). Tennessee's Tyson Helton praises Jeremy Pruitt's offensive approach. Retrieved from Tennessee’s Tyson Helton praises Jeremy Pruitt’s offensive approach

Last edited:
He wants the offense to beat people up so that in the 4th quarter the other team is past their fatigue limit, and he might have a few suggestions for plays.

When Pruitt talks about offense, he talks about how much he likes explosive plays.

"I'd throw it deep"- Jeremy Pruitt

He has also said that a HC should be able to call all the plays if he has to. And I get the feeling Pruitt would call offense and defense if he thought it would help us win.

if the offense isn't showing results I guarantee somebody else will be calling the "plays"...just because Coach P is a "defensive" coach doesn't mean he doesn't know offense...:D

GO VOLS!

One should not assume that a defensive coach knows little or nothing about offense. He spends a lot of time studying offenses. Also, a defensive coach knows the chinks in the defense's armor. A defensive coach may not be the best at teaching offensive position techniques but should be fairly competent at offensive strategies.

On the other side, we have coaches that have dabbled their careers as OC's, but we don't have any Co-Offensive Coordinators. I'm surprised that Will Friend didn't take that title. With Helton as OC,
I feel like their is some sort of uncertainty of what our Offense will be.

"Some Sort of Uncertainty" should be a huge leap forward over what we saw last season. Expect big things if so.

According to Swain "Helton is gonna be just fine" based off of the parts of practice he isn't allowed to speak of

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
Truly feel we will see parts of Heltons Offense, BUT: Not all of what they truly want to do, more will match an offense to the personnel we have this year.
I think we be on the conservative side mostly. Third and 4 will be more likely a run , staying in bounds, and either earning a First down or keeping the clock running and punting and forcing other team to beat us.

Watch the spring game, he coaches everyone, QB’s, WR’s linemen, everyone. He’s a football coach.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Coaches may coach techniques on one side or the ball or the other, but when it comes to scheming, it is impossible to be an effective DC if you don't understand offenses quite well and vice versa for OCs.

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
Will Pruitt be Offensively involved?

I'm sure he may offend a few people but you know you can't make cornbread without cracking a few eggs :cool:

Reactions: FïreBall
I would be willing to bet that if we are 1st and goal from the 6 inch line he is going to be screaming to "run the FN ball down their throat". I would be willing to bet that's exactly what we do too. I would not be shocked to see us throw a DL in at FB for it either.

To be a good coordinator you have to understand what the other side wants and is trying to do. Let's not act like CJP has no clue about offenses. That's absurd.

Yea to understand offense you have to understand Defense and visa versa.

We’ll be fine.

VN Store

Back