CJP getting some love from bama honks

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Article also states that the CJP era will be disastrous. Doubt that.

It's a somewhat justifiable opinion, especially if you are a Bammer. If by "disastrous" they mean like the Dooley era, I don't thin he'll be that bad. If they mean like the Butch era, it's possible.

I don't have much doubt Pruitt will recruit well and vastly improve the defense. However, it is fair to be skeptical at his ability to manage an offense and build a good offensive staff. He's never had to do that before, and breaking that skill in at a big job like Tennessee isn't easy. Ultimately, I think his success or failure as a coach here will be determined by what happens with the offense. If he is able to develop a consistent offense, whether it be primarily on the ground like at Alabama or Georgia or a more QB-centric one, I think he will be a very good coach. If we get into year 3 and we are losing games because our defense is always on the field, he'll be in trouble.

I would be disappointed but not necessarily stunned if the offense never comes around. I'll be disappointed and stunned if the defense doesn't get much better over time.

It's a somewhat justifiable opinion, especially if you are a Bammer. If by "disastrous" they mean like the Dooley era, I don't thin he'll be that bad. If they mean like the Butch era, it's possible.

I don't have much doubt Pruitt will recruit well and vastly improve the defense. However, it is fair to be skeptical at his ability to manage an offense and build a good offensive staff. He's never had to do that before, and breaking that skill in at a big job like Tennessee isn't easy. Ultimately, I think his success or failure as a coach here will be determined by what happens with the offense. If he is able to develop a consistent offense, whether it be primarily on the ground like at Alabama or Georgia or a more QB-centric one, I think he will be a very good coach. If we get into year 3 and we are losing games because our defense is always on the field, he'll be in trouble.

I would be disappointed but not necessarily stunned if the offense never comes around. I'll be disappointed and stunned if the defense doesn't get much better over time.
What part of the offensive staff do you have a problem with? It looks like a solid group with a lot of successful experience.

What part of the offensive staff do you have a problem with? It looks like a solid group with a lot of successful experience.
None, at least not yet. I would have liked to have seen us get an OC with a little more play calling experience, but Helton does have a decent enough pedigree.

I wasn't drawing a conclusion that the offensive staff is going to be bad. That remains to be seen. All I'm saying is that if Pruitt doesn't succeed here, I think it would be because of the offense because of his inexperience there.

Being the "best hands-on teacher and coordinator in the business" seems to me to be what great coaches need to be. Coaches are teachers. I think it is more them lamenting the fact he left than an insult. Maybe he is the least prepared to run a P5 program, but if he is really as capable as they say at what he does, maybe all he needed was the opportunity.

Being the "best hands-on teacher and coordinator in the business" seems to me to be what great coaches need to be. Coaches are teachers. I think it is more them lamenting the fact he left than an insult. Maybe he is the least prepared to run a P5 program, but if he is really as capable as they say at what he does, maybe all he needed was the opportunity.
agree

I think that comment was made as a critique of his managerial skills, or the fact that we don't really know exactly how good his managerial skills are because he's never been a head coach before. Coaches are teachers, but a head coach, especially at a place like Tennessee, has to be much more than just a good teacher. That's only one aspect of the job. The dude we fired last year was good at only one aspect of the job too, and you see how that turned out.

I hope that guy ends up being dead wrong and his comments looks foolish in hindsight, but it is a fair comment to make at this point.

Well, the truth is that we don't know what Pruitt will do as a coach. (1) He has not been a head coach at any place other than at a highschool; whereas, both Dooley and bUTch had some type of track record that we could gauge them by. (2) The other coaches in the NCAA always give glowing reviews in public about coaches that they have worked with. The coach could be a P.O.S. and they still give glowing reviews of them. So, Saban said, Urban Myers said, Kiffin said, doesn't mean much to me. (3) He could end up doing horribly like Rich Rod did at Michigan. He could end up falling short of our expectations like Harbaugh is doing at Michigan right now. (4) Given a year or so of good recruiting, he could exceed our expectations.
I will watch this season and expect to win 5 games and expect to lose to Bama & Florida. I will enjoy watching the younger players to see what they can do on the field and what we will have on the roster when they are juniors and seniors in a couple of years.

Reactions: windrider
Well, the truth is that we don't know what Pruitt will do as a coach. (1) He has not been a head coach at any place other than at a highschool; whereas, both Dooley and bUTch had some type of track record that we could gauge them by.
That's true, but it is/was easy to poke holes in the work histories of all 3 of them. Dooley had HC experience, but it involved 17-20 in 3 seasons at a WAC school. Outside of that, he had been just a position coach, not even a coordinator. Butch had more head coaching experience than Dooley, and he was actually good (50-27 in 6 seasons), but it was at MAC and Big East schools.

What's funny about Butch is that when he was hired, people thought he might be a decent coach but were worried about his recruiting chops since he was coming from G5 schools in the upper Midwest. It turned out to be the exact opposite. When Dooley was hired, people thought he might be able to recruit but might not be a good coach. It turned out he was awful at both. Nobody really knows anything.

Reactions: crovol
Well, the truth is that we don't know what Pruitt will do as a coach. (1) He has not been a head coach at any place other than at a highschool; whereas, both Dooley and bUTch had some type of track record that we could gauge them by. (2) The other coaches in the NCAA always give glowing reviews in public about coaches that they have worked with. The coach could be a P.O.S. and they still give glowing reviews of them. So, Saban said, Urban Myers said, Kiffin said, doesn't mean much to me. (3) He could end up doing horribly like Rich Rod did at Michigan. He could end up falling short of our expectations like Harbaugh is doing at Michigan right now. (4) Given a year or so of good recruiting, he could exceed our expectations.
I will watch this season and expect to win 5 games and expect to lose to Bama & Florida. I will enjoy watching the younger players to see what they can do on the field and what we will have on the roster when they are juniors and seniors in a couple of years.
Well technically Pruitt hasn't been a head coach on any level. I have no doubt he's a great coach, he was waiting for the perfect opportunity, how he deals with whole team instead of just defense we'll see. I think he'll be just fine, he's worked for some great coaches and been around great programs I'm sure he's picked up alot know how over the years.

Reactions: ShotGunVol
I am optimistic based upon the staff Pruitt brought in, I don’t see any glaring weaknesses. OL, WR, and OC I think all 3 are top notch. I was skeptical a little of Weinke, but the RBs seem to be our best position group. Butch’s downfall wasn’t his coaching, it was his hiring plans, he just wouldn’t hire a decent OC and he got rid of his first strength coach which to me was also a big loss.

His in game coaching was bad, but his teams weren’t prepared to play the last 2 years. When Bajakian and the strength coach left it was all downhill. Only Dobb’s running ability bailed them out. Without Dobbs we would have been 4-8 much sooner. Gillespie was the only staffer we actually wanted to keep and outside of all of his nonsense and weirdness, his real issue was not getting the “best staff in America”.

I am also concerned that he will just be Muschamp 2.0

I am optimistic based upon the staff Pruitt brought in, I don’t see any glaring weaknesses. OL, WR, and OC I think all 3 are top notch. I was skeptical a little of Weinke, but the RBs seem to be our best position group. Butch’s downfall wasn’t his coaching, it was his hiring plans, he just wouldn’t hire a decent OC and he got rid of his first strength coach which to me was also a big loss.

His in game coaching was bad, but his teams weren’t prepared to play the last 2 years. When Bajakian and the strength coach left it was all downhill. Only Dobb’s running ability bailed them out. Without Dobbs we would have been 4-8 much sooner. Gillespie was the only staffer we actually wanted to keep and outside of all of his nonsense and weirdness, his real issue was not getting the “best staff in America”.

I could see myself writing this exact same thing, except I'm not sure I fully understand your last sentence. I will say that I think the staff that Butch brought in was not so bad for him. It was his later hires that did him in. Although Debord was criticized, he may have been the best of the bunch that was hired in subsequent years.

His biggest downfall by far, in my opinion, was in strength and conditioning, not on-the-field coaching. Plus, I just feel the team ended up with a "snowflake" mentality.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
It may be better if Pruitt doesnt have much to do with the offense..if he hired a guy that trusts that can plan i think it would be better for him to do his thing and not be meddled with. I felt like butch had his nose in everything.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
That's true, but it is/was easy to poke holes in the work histories of all 3 of them. Dooley had HC experience, but it involved 17-20 in 3 seasons at a WAC school. Outside of that, he had been just a position coach, not even a coordinator. Butch had more head coaching experience than Dooley, and he was actually good (50-27 in 6 seasons), but it was at MAC and Big East schools.

What's funny about Butch is that when he was hired, people thought he might be a decent coach but were worried about his recruiting chops since he was coming from G5 schools in the upper Midwest. It turned out to be the exact opposite. When Dooley was hired, people thought he might be able to recruit but might not be a good coach. It turned out he was awful at both. Nobody really knows anything.

Ya know that Dooley recruited Justin Hunter & Da Rick. Both should have been super good players but after Hunter was injured against Florida, he played a little soft. Da Rick was the opposite and was aggressive as a player, but he could not stay out of trouble with the urine tests.
Dooley did have some recruiting success' though.

Ya know that Dooley recruited Justin Hunter & Da Rick. Both should have been super good players but after Hunter was injured against Florida, he played a little soft. Da Rick was the opposite and was aggressive as a player, but he could not stay out of trouble with the urine tests.
Dooley did have some recruiting success' though.
Any coach, even a bad recruiter, is going to pull some great individual players. But Dooley overall was a bad recruiter. There was one recruiting class he had where he recruited zero, ZERO!, offensive linemen.

He went after star ratings at the expense of everything else. Way more than Butch did.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It

VN Store

Back