WVU's D Line

VolsGrad1989

Professional BIG ORANGE OPTIMIST!!!
If this has been mentioned, sorry, didn't see it. I think most UT fans are too worried about WVU's offense that the D isn't talked about enough. UT fans are also worried about OL play which is a legit concern. However, UT's OL will be much improved this year with Friend!!! UT was 114th in rushing O last year. Kansas was 123rd. Kansas rushed for 225 yards IN THE FIRST HALF vs WVU. The only top 25 rushing offense WVU played last season was OU. OU had 313 net yards rushing. Yes, I know. UT doesn't have OU's O. But, I still think UT's OL is much improved with Will Friend based on his success with CSU being in the 30s in the nation in rushing each year with 5.3-5.6 rated OL players with Friend pulling double duty as OC/OL coach.

Notes:

CSU's O with Friend as OC had 144 yards rushing against Bama last year. Maybe a lot of it was in the 4th quarter. But, let that sink in for a moment. CSU's QB, Nick Stevens, went 21/38 for 247 yards with 2 TDs and 2 Ints, not too shabby vs Saban/Pruitt's D!!!

Prediction:

I think UT rushes for at least 250 and has close to a 2-1 edge in time of possesion to win 31-24.

By the way, Grier throws at least 2 picks and WVU coughs up one when rushing too!

Last edited:
Hate to beat a dead horse, but I really feel like this West Virginia team is one of the most overrated in the nation right now.

Holgorsen is a good OC, but he's been a consistently mediocre head coach. Defense has always been horrid. They have a good offense, but it's also probably a bit overrated. They aren't Mike-Gundy-at-OK-State good. And they put most of their stats up against weak defenses last season. Good defenses were able to limit their effectiveness significantly.

Grier is good and their WRs are great, but that's really about it. We should be able to run the ball on them. If we can avoid the turnover bug, we're probably the better team. I'd view this game as being similar to that game against Bowling Green in 2015. They're going to score some points on us due to their strong passing game, but if we win the turnover battle, we have an excellent shot at winning. Not saying it'll be a cakewalk, as we're coming off a 4-8 season, but I honestly think Missouri and South Carolina are probably tougher opponents this season.

Then again, 1st game with different philosophies on both sides of the ball ... so we shouldn't expect anything, but if this game was in November instead of September, I'd expect a win.

I've watched a few of their games from last year. I posted my opinion on them in one of the other threads. If you like to watch old games, Oklahoma State is a good one to watch. The score doesn't reflect how much OSU dominated WVU.

That said, their fans appear to be staking their DL hopes on a Freshman and a couple of transfers. They're going to be a little bigger at DL this year but overall they play small and hope to defend with speed.

KU was a terrible football team... and even they could line up, run straight at WVU, and have success.

I couldn't find a game they played against a true power running team. They play spread O teams and appear to design their D to defend them.

If this has been mentioned, sorry, didn't see it. I think most UT fans are too worried about WVU's offense that the D isn't talked about enough. UT fans are also worried about OL play which is a legit concern. However, UT's OL will be much improved this year with Friend!!! UT was 114th in rushing O last year. Kansas was 123rd. Kansas rushed for 225 yards IN THE FIRST HALF vs WVU. The only top 25 rushing offense WVU played last season was OU. OU had 313 net yards rushing. Yes, I know. UT doesn't have OU's O. But, I still think UT's OL is much improved with Will Friend based on his success with CSU being in the 30s in the nation in rushing each year with 5.3-5.6 rated OL players with Friend pulling double duty as OC/OL coach.

Notes:

CSU's O with Friend as OC had 144 yards rushing against Bama last year. Maybe a lot of it was in the 4th quarter. But, let that sink in for a moment. CSU's QB, Nick Stevens, went 21/38 for 247 yards with 2 TDs and 2 Ints, not too shabby vs Saban/Pruitt's D!!!

Prediction:

I think UT rushes for at least 250 and has close to a 2-1 edge in time of possesion to win 31-24.

By the way, Grier throws at least 2 picks and WVU coughs up one when rushing too!

Hate to break it to you, but this is a completely different Dline this year. We got 2 talented transfers one is a former 5 star recruit who is gonna man the middle and eat up blockers and the other speed rusher from Clemson who was buried behind 4 future NFL draft picks. We also have a high 4 star freshman in the mix. You guys need to do some research before you look silly. if I have to read how we were 7 and 6 last year so we can't possibly be that good I'm gonna rip my hair out, we were right in the big 12 title race and then Will Grier ( touchdown Jesus ) got hurt. Now ok prolly still beats us but with Grier we wax Texas and win our bowl. Look at the jump every qb makes in their second year in Dana holgersons system. This game isn't going to be close.... Now I like you guys, always root for tenn against any team in the SEC except Bama , I root for Saban bc of his wv blood. I'm just getting a little annoyed at you guys for short changing wvu. You talk about wvu like we are Marshall. Wvu is a top 25 program, we will always have a seat at the big boy table. When the trash big 12 goes by by the SEC or ACC will be right there to scoop us up. Look at all the regional games and past and future rivalrys it just makes to much sense.

I couldn't find a game they played against a true power running team. They play spread O teams and appear to design their D to defend them.

Totally agree on this.

This is why I think it's a bad matchup for them. Their entire defense (base 3-3-5) is predicated on stopping Air Raid type offenses which dominate the Big 12 right now. Our strength, on the other hand, will likely be the run game.

Hate to break it to you, but this is a completely different Dline this year. We got 2 talented transfers one is a former 5 star recruit who is gonna man the middle and eat up blockers and the other speed rusher from Clemson who was buried behind 4 future NFL draft picks. We also have a high 4 star freshman in the mix. You guys need to do some research before you look silly. if I have to read how we were 7 and 6 last year so we can't possibly be that good I'm gonna rip my hair out, we were right in the big 12 title race and then Will Grier ( touchdown Jesus ) got hurt. Now ok prolly still beats us but with Grier we wax Texas and win our bowl. Look at the jump every qb makes in their second year in Dana holgersons system. This game isn't going to be close.... Now I like you guys, always root for tenn against any team in the SEC except Bama , I root for Saban bc of his wv blood. I'm just getting a little annoyed at you guys for short changing wvu. You talk about wvu like we are Marshall. Wvu is a top 25 program, we will always have a seat at the big boy table. When the trash big 12 goes by by the SEC or ACC will be right there to scoop us up. Look at all the regional games and past and future rivalrys it just makes to much sense.

Buddy yall are just like us, nobody is gonna believe it til they see it because more often than not weve both been letdowns. Yeah you lost Grier and finished on a bad skid. We lost the most starts in the nation last year to injury, been there, heard that, coaches still get fired. Youre on a Vol board, did you expect us to see yall as the best thing since sliced bread through our orange tinted glasses?

You do realize your team only beat two teams that won 8 games. One of those, Kansas St lost to a Vandy team that was a terrible SEC team and 13th in the conference. The only quality win you had was vs Iowa St. The other teams WVU beat lost about three times more games than they won!!! We will run through your D like water through swiss cheese improved or not, book it!!!

I guess you are saying the guy that was buried behind 4 future NFL draft picks was buried behind them at Clemson. What are the names of these two beasts you speak of that will be the center piece of your DL? I still find it hard to believe that WVU will be inside the top 50 in rushing D based on Holgerson's 7 previous year of never cracking the top 50 in rushing D!!! All of the sudden WVU's D is going to be stout this year. Ok, we shall see. I say we score atleast 31 on your D with an unproven O and the Moutaineers don't break 30 pts on us!!! We will run the ball and have a two to one in time of possesion as I stated previously.

Grier is not all of that either. The only top 50 pass defense WVU played last year was Virginia Tech. We have enough secondary for Pruitt to scheme a good pass defense against Grier. Also, What has WVU ever done to have a permanent seat at what you call the Big Boy Table??? LOL

So, you challenged for the Big 12 title and finished in a 4 way tie for 4th place, LOL, hilarious as well. When did Grier get hurt? It looks like he got hurt vs Texas. You had already lost 3 Big 12 games at that point!!! Again, NONE OF THOSE BIG 12 TEAMS HAD A TOP 50 PASS DEFENSE!!!

FACTS:

Holgerson is such a great coach that he has never won the Big 12 and only finished tied for 2nd once. The Big 12 is probably the 5th toughest out of the Power 5. That doesn't say much for Holgerson!!! Holgerson should probably go back to the Big East. Maybe he could dominate there. WVU has went 1-5 bowl games in the last 7 years.

Hell, Butch Jones won 3 bowl games in a row. You will see a much better coach in Pruitt than Jones!!!
Grier will see a quality pass D on Sept 1st and throw at least 2 picks, BOOK IT!!!

WHAT BIG BOY TABLE SHOULD WVU BE AT WITH ONE WIN THE LAST 7 YEARS that was the CACTUS BOWL??? LOL, DUDE, YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!!!

WVU has been in the top 25 twice in 7 years. One of those years was when WVU was in the weak ass Big East. As bad as UT has been. UT has been in the top 25 twice in 7 years. We don't even consider ourselves at the table with the Big Boys the last 12 years. LOL How many chairs does your Big Boy table have? In my opinion, a permanent seat at the Big Boy table would require you to be in the top 10 at least 5 few out of the last 10 and in the top 25 at least 8 of 10 years. You guys aren't there!!! LOL You guys may not even be in the dining room??? =)

Head coaching record Holgerson

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP° West Virginia Mountaineers
(Big East Conference) (2011) 2011West Virginia 10–3 5–2 T–1st W Orange

West Virginia Mountaineers (Big 12 Conference) (2012–present)

Year Overall Conference Bowl
2012West Virginia 7–6 4–5 T–5th L Pinstripe
2013West Virginia 4–8 2–7 T–7th
2014West Virginia 7–6 5–4 T–4th L Liberty
2015West Virginia 8–5 4–5 T–5th W Cactus
2016West Virginia 10–3 7–2 3rd L Russell Athletic
2017West Virginia 7–6 5–4 5th L Heart of Dallas

Holgerson vs Big 12..............27-27, WOW, I AM IMPRESSED WITH HOLGERSON!!! NOT!!!!

Last edited:
Hate to beat a dead horse, but I really feel like this West Virginia team is one of the most overrated in the nation right now.

Holgorsen is a good OC, but he's been a consistently mediocre head coach. Defense has always been horrid. They have a good offense, but it's also probably a bit overrated. They aren't Mike-Gundy-at-OK-State good. And they put most of their stats up against weak defenses last season. Good defenses were able to limit their effectiveness significantly.

Grier is good and their WRs are great, but that's really about it. We should be able to run the ball on them. If we can avoid the turnover bug, we're probably the better team. I'd view this game as being similar to that game against Bowling Green in 2015. They're going to score some points on us due to their strong passing game, but if we win the turnover battle, we have an excellent shot at winning. Not saying it'll be a cakewalk, as we're coming off a 4-8 season, but I honestly think Missouri and South Carolina are probably tougher opponents this season.

Then again, 1st game with different philosophies on both sides of the ball ... so we shouldn't expect anything, but if this game was in November instead of September, I'd expect a win.

If the Vols can somehow get to Greir consistently they can win this one, provided they can run the football and avoid turnovers.......I know I know it's a tall order, but very doable indeed!
Go Vols

Reactions: VolsGrad1989

Always have a seat at the big boy table? You have to be a big boy like TENNESSEE in the first place to have a seat at the big boy table. Your program hasn’t proven a d**n thing ever. WV might just defeat UT, but don’t ever put your program on a pedestal like you’re world beaters. We’ve been there, you haven’t so don’t bring that bs here.

I'm your Huckleberry. I acknowledged your transfers and single, freshman 4* DL.

Now, since you chose to be a smart aleck and disrespectful to boot... maybe you should do some research before you look silly. UT has been poorly coached.... but that same coach was able to sign some very talented players. Pruitt has added his own to the mix.

To compare to your two transfers and shiny new 4* DL... UT will have a D with 4/5* players starting at most positions. If the season started today UT's 3 starting DL's would probably be Alex Johnson 4*, Shy Tuttle 4*, and Kyle Phillips 5*. Playing LB behind them would likely be four 4* players. At S, you have your choice of five or more 4* players. One CB slot seems to be locked down by a Fr 4* who has blown Pruitt away (formerly DB coach for Bama)… and possibly the most likely place you'll see a 3* starter on this D is at the other CB slot.

Want to talk about disrespect? You come in here predicting a blow out without doing YOUR homework. Maybe all of those 4/5* players UT has on the roster were overrated. Possible. Not very likely based on history... but possible. OR... maybe they haven't been coached well. If the latter... folks like you are in for a rude awakening.

PS- Do you really think we should be impressed by those 3 guys? Really? Do you think they could start for Bama or UGA or LSU or UF or Auburn considering they were buried at Clemson and USC? UT faces guys as talented or more so in every conference game.... except most SEC teams have guys like that or better 3 deep.

Your right about 1 thing, this game won't be close. Wv has never played defense so they can add whoever they want and that won't change. Big boy table? Your kidding right? Everybody always says we're a delusional fanbase well I guess WV did beat us at something unlike what will happen Sept.1st

And I won't even get started on your "touchdown Jesus" Grier guys a cheater, he's a decent QB not a great one. I know your not used to seeing great QBs, need to go watch some film on #16 in the orange and white there is a GREAT QB. Also you guys are alot like Marshall

You do realize why most players transfer?? And 99% of the reasons aren’t good ones even if they transferred to UT. Let me get this straight, this all Worldly player from USC couldn’t crack the starting lineup in 5 seasons for some pretty average USC teams, suffered knee injuries, and tried to retire is now the savior for a poor defense? Yeah that is not comical at all 😂 That leaves the Clemson transfer, and a freshman, but the Clemson transfer has a pretty limited body of work to make an assumption. I guess you can claim a freshman is going to be great but chances are just as likely he will be average. WVU may have the next steel curtain defense but it likely will not be in game one with a bunch of unproven players and neither will UT. The only real difference is Pruitt has proven he can field an elite defense, Holgerson has never proven anything close to that

bama4wv, you can get annoyed as much as you want. Here's the thing. Within the parameters that Freak allows, we, the Vols fans can post whatever we want. This is, well, you know, a Vols fan board. Amazingly, it's not a Mountaineers fans board. Now if one of us went to your board and posted in the tone you did here, guess what would happen when, not if, he got gang beaten there. I think I'm one of the most compromising and fair posters here when the issue is related to the truth as opposed to snideness and other sorts of ugliness. But I'm very tempted to say GTH due to that 'annoyed' business. We're home, you aren't. Bad form to go into someone else's home and chide them for not having the type of wallpaper you prefer. So once again, this isn't your home. We can say whatever we want about our own and other teams within, again, the paramneters that Freak allows. Mostly, he just wants us to be decent to each other (at times we aren't) and avoid inflammatory topics (which we fail to do from time to time), otherwise we're free range fans in this great and incomparable pasture of a board he makes possible.

Last edited:
We should not underestimate the Mountaineers, TN needs to win time of possession and rush for over 200+ yards to win this one. Nobody knows at this point in time how UT's Offense or Defense will line up, and more importantly WV doesn't know either. Should be a good game but UT will need to slow Grier down and make this a grind-out game.......

Based only on what I read about this game, the biggest concern I have is their dynamic passer-receiver squad torching us. Compare that to last year's first game worry which was broken or torn legs decimating our already challenged defense. It's one thing to lose, but to lose and come away with season-effecting results (ie, Jennings) is demoralizing. Go Vols. Make Volunteer football great again!

We should not underestimate the Mountaineers, TN needs to win time of possession and rush for over 200+ yards to win this one. Nobody knows at this point in time how UT's Offense or Defense will line up, and more importantly WV doesn't know either. Should be a good game but UT will need to slow Grier down and make this a grind-out game.......
A couple of pick sixes might get inside his head.

bama4wv, you can get annoyed as much as you want. Here's the thing. Within the parameters that Freak allows, we, the Vols fans can post whatever we want. This is, well, you know, a Vols fan board. Amazingly, it's not a Mountaineers fans board. Now if one of us went to your board and posted in the tone you did here, guess what would happen when, not if, he got gang beaten there. I think I'm one of the most compromising and fair posters here when the issue is related to the truth as opposed to snideness and other sorts of ugliness. But I'm very tempted to say GTH due to that 'annoyed' business. We're home, you aren't. Bad form to go into someone else's home and chide them for not having the type of wallpaper you prefer. So once again, this isn't your home. We can say whatever we want about our own and other teams within, again, the paramneters that Freak allows. Mostly, he just wants us to be decent to each other (at times we aren't) and avoid inflammatory topics (which we fail to do from time to time), otherwise we're free range fans in this great and incomparable pasture of a board he makes possible.
In short. TENNESSEE will run the football down WVU threat series after series until we win the game.

I watched the Heart of Dallas bowl where Utah pushed WVs Oline around pretty easily. Pac12 lines aren’t the most beastly by any means. I know Tennessee has a bare minimum of bragging rights coming into this season, but just size vs size is a big indicator of who’s going to win the LOS battle, and Tennessee has larger guys on both lines.

I think if Smith and another big guy can get push on the left side of the Oline...we can run behind them all day. WVs linebackers are the size of SEC safeties, so, if big boys like Banks or London can get to the second level, they could just bulldoze over those guys all day.

VN Store

Back