Pruitt to call plays in season

I've wondered if he'll gravitate to coaches being on the sideline and not in the box....

This is could be a big plus of having a proven defensive guru calling our plays this year. Or it could be a red flag that our HC loves the defensive side so much that he can't bring himself to delegate and let his assistants coach while he handles vision and leadership duties. My inner fan is holding to the first possibility. The past decade keeps whispering the 2nd.

This is could be a big plus of having a proven defensive guru calling our plays this year. Or it could be a red flag that our HC loves the defensive side so much that he can't bring himself to delegate and let his assistants coach while he handles vision and leadership duties. My inner fan is holding to the first possibility. The past decade keeps whispering the 2nd.
Is it really at different than Spurrier calling his own offense when he was at Florida?

I see this as making the most sense. We have a first time defensive minded HC who wants to make sure his vision for the D is implemented so he will handle play calling in year 1 to show Sherrer and Rumph( 1st time DCs) how it is done. After a year or two of having coaches/players in the system he will probably hand off the play calling duties to the DC that proves most capable.

Would either possibility be a bad thing???we're going to hold him responsible regaurdless of who calls the plays.who took more blame for the florida hail mary shoop or botch??? Idk about u but i want a 5 time national champ dc calling my defense assistants focus on positions and let him handle the grand scheme

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Would either possibility be a bad thing???we're going to hold him responsible regaurdless of who calls the plays.who took more blame for the florida hail mary shoop or botch??? Idk about u but i want a 5 time national champ dc calling my defense assistants focus on positions and let him handle the grand scheme
Now if he calls the offense we got a problem.GBO

I read a little too much into the thread title and thought that JP was going to be calling the OFFENSIVE plays. I'm going to climb down from the ledge and take a breath now.

Reactions: Eddie Vol Halen
The Vandy defense improved when Mason took over play calling a few years ago, if I recall correctly. So Pruitt calling plays from the get go as opposed to losing a few games due to poor play calling before taking over is probably the best approach.

This shows me that the coaches have a good grasp on where they are with this team and there's a clear heirarchy in the meeting room and everyone is on the same page.

I dont think this is smart. Pruitt will need to be getting accustomed to his HC game day duties. You hire a staff for a reason and it sounds like he hired someone who he is comfortable with doing what hes suppose to do.

Also hopefully the DC was aware of this when hired.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I dont think this is smart. Pruitt will need to be getting accustomed to his HC game day duties. You hire a staff for a reason and it sounds like he hired someone who he is comfortable with doing what hes suppose to do.

Also hopefully the DC was aware of this when hired.
I see both sides. As this is the first year under a new defensive scheme I see it fit for him to head it but I think he needs to be involved in the offense as well. The offensive side of the ball that concerns me most. HC needs to be involved in both but also trust in his hires to dictate/coach his wishes and game plan !

I guess we can fire the Defensive Coordinator then.

Is it any different than an offensive minded coach calling the plays on offense? Many wanted Pirate Boy Mike Leach to come east and be our head coach. He calls the plays on offense. Paul Johnson calls the plays at Georgia Tech, probably because no one else understands it, but I digress. The Coordinators handle the preparation of the team to run the offense/defense, it doesn't mean they are the best play callers for either side. Last year, we had an Offensive Coordinator that was very offensive because of his preparation, and worse, play calling.

Reactions: marvin616
Is it any different than an offensive minded coach calling the plays on offense? Many wanted Pirate Boy Mike Leach to come east and be our head coach. He calls the plays on offense. Paul Johnson calls the plays at Georgia Tech, probably because no one else understands it, but I digress. The Coordinators handle the preparation of the team to run the offense/defense, it doesn't mean they are the best play callers for either side. Last year, we had an Offensive Coordinator that was very offensive because of his preparation, and worse, play calling.

I’d rather Pruitt call the defensive plays anyway. Play to your strengths.

I’d rather Pruitt call the defensive plays anyway. Play to your strengths.
I see what you did there :p The intention was to point out that head coaches call plays all the time and I simply couldn't think of a good example of a head coach calling the defensive plays.

I think it could be a good thing since the DC in name has never filled that role before. Just hope it doesn't distract him from situational football when we are on offense unless the OC has carte blanche to run the team while on offense including time outs and 4th down decisions.

There's little doubt this can work but i do wonder how many other DC's promoted to HC continued to cal the defense.

VN Store

Back