Good thing CJP working with DB's

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
A couple of months back, I wrote about my concern that CJP was spending too much time with the DB's. I felt like a head coach needed to be more balanced and delegate more to his coordinators. I've changed that opinion. Though he may be more familiar with and comfortable working with the DB's, I think it's more than that. The only way we're going to beat WV is if our DB's shut down their air attack. Besides getting the team ready for the season, CJP is doing the right thing by making sure the Vols are prepared to win this 1st one. The DL play and the LB's blitzes are going to play an important part, of course, but it will be the DB's who control WV's offense in this one.

Although I agree with 90% of your post, I have to say he has been (at least in all of Fingers videos) seenat other positions making sure they are doing things right. He is a perfectionist and knows all positions. Even some of his ex players and other coaches he’s worked with have stated he knows every position and knows where they should be very play. That being said he is a DB coach and will definitely help this side of our defense more than anything :)

The key to defeating WV is to stop the run. It sounds backwards, but it is so true.

I remember when Muffchamp said he wanted to take our run away and make us one dimensional in the 1/2 time interview. That was the last Dooley year with that great passing game. UF eventually did exactly that in the 2nd half. To the chagrin of more than a few mockers on VN, iirc.
Vol fans should have that dark day as a backdrop for how a defense stops a passing juggernaut.

A couple of months back, I wrote about my concern that CJP was spending too much time with the DB's. I felt like a head coach needed to be more balanced and delegate more to his coordinators. I've changed that opinion. Though he may be more familiar with and comfortable working with the DB's, I think it's more than practices, that. The only way we're going to beat WV is if our DB's shut down their air attack. Besides getting the team ready for the season, CJP is doing the right thing by making sure the Vols are prepared to win this 1st one. The DL play and the LB's blitzes are going to play an important part, of course, but it will be the DB's who control WV's offense in this one.

In practices, Saban spends more time with Bama's DBs than any other position group.

Also it's been a long time since we had even a middle of the pack secondary. Tennessee has been letting teams burn them on long plays for 2 decades now because of poor angles and bad coverages taken by the db's.

I like this personally. My feeling over the last couple of years was that no lead was big enough because teams could score so quickly on our lackluster pass defense.

Reactions: savannahfan
I'm not going to predict how it'll go, but I'm curious how our D looks against WVU. We're supposed to have a good pass rush, and coach has already talked about playing press coverage, so it'll be interesting to see if we can jamb them up at the line, throw them off their routes, and generally make it tough on Grier.

A couple of months back, I wrote about my concern that CJP was spending too much time with the DB's. I felt like a head coach needed to be more balanced and delegate more to his coordinators. I've changed that opinion. Though he may be more familiar with and comfortable working with the DB's, I think it's more than that. The only way we're going to beat WV is if our DB's shut down their air attack. Besides getting the team ready for the season, CJP is doing the right thing by making sure the Vols are prepared to win this 1st one. The DL play and the LB's blitzes are going to play an important part, of course, but it will be the DB's who control WV's offense in this one.

Based on their history and the inexperienced new comers, God help use and coach P if the d backs must control the game.

VN Store

Back