Will UT use Grier’s doping story as motivation?

Rockytopvol86

...... especially after they beat us then he was suspended? Just wondering :).. I think it would add fuel to our team as he is and ex gaturd.. and we could help ruin his Heisman bid the first week. Asking for a friend.

...... especially after they beat us then he was suspended? Just wondering :).. I think it would add fuel to our team as he is and ex gaturd.. and we could help ruin his Heisman bid the first week. Asking for a friend.

I am hoping that this team is not living in the past except maybe remembering the embarrassment of a 4-8 season with 0 wins in the SEC. Grier's suspension has absolutely nothing to do with what is going to happen on the football field.

I believe both of you are right. I just had to ask being an devils advocate. We have a new culture and mindset now with actual training and coaching. The motivation will be set on aiming to be the best and prove ney sayers wrong. This question was based on Vol Nations response to his suspension after our game so I thought .. hey how many people will still use this against him

Nope.

Goes against everything Pruitt is trying to instill. He's said multiple times to let the past go - as in if you screw up, or something don't go your way, don't drop your head, don't dwell on it, and just go on with your business on the next play.

I would think every expert expecting them to lose and the team not wanting to lose would be enough motivation. I don't care about PED doping that happened years ago and I doubt CJP or anyone else on the team cares.

Last edited:

I hope Vols fans are more classy than that. I hope Vols know that our boys need only to line up and beat their opponent mano-a-mano and collectively. I hope our Vols fans know we don't have to stoop into nastiness. And that we only need to show up, out cheer, "orangize" the venue, rock their top into the edge of insanity. Then convoy out of town with every vechile blaring Rockytop at full volume. We don't need to stoop to nastiness.

Wanting to win and be the Best should be their only motivation

Reactions: GrudenVol5th
I think a small segment of the team may want a tiny bit of redemption against this guy. People like shy turttle and Kyle Phillips, TK jr and Abernathy. But other than those 4, I don’t see any player or coach talking about what Grier did to us 3 years ago. And I only think the 4 I mentioned will have thought about it a little, it just human nature. but I don’t think it’s something they’re preaching to their teammates. I just think they want to beat Grier and get a win for their team and vol nation. Can you guys believe we are a week away from game week!!!

Your "friend" is an idiot.

Reactions: Pepe
I'm hearing coach Pruitt and Fulmer, along with Barry Bonds and Bill Romanowski, will be holding a joint press conference to bring it to the forefront within the next week. I would say everything possible for our team has been done football wise. We'll definitely need the media and fans to weigh in on it leading up to game time. Just to wake up our guys. Should be a very + thing.

It's just a stupid motivational idea. Players would laugh their butts off.
Not knocking you, just your friend. He may not be an idiot, but it was an idiotic thought.

Nope. Don't you know that this works in reverse for UT? Any time we are "wronged" by someone else, the other team is always the aggrieved party.

- Almost beat UF? They are extra pissed the next time we play because we had the effrontery to challenge them.
- Player on the other team does something against the rules, like cheap-shotting our players or doping? The cheap-shotter/doper always inexplicably has a chip on his shoulder for "payback" the next time we play them.

This is a trend I want to END....

It's just a stupid motivational idea. Players would laugh their butts off.
Not knocking you, just your friend. He may not be an idiot, but it was an idiotic thought.
I can see you point, however this idea For motivation wasn’t based on fact it would be the sole motivating factor. obviously the maxims are one and there are many outside of the past. But this is just one that has stuck in some people’s mjnds I’ve talked to due to his doping during our game and this is the first time playing him since. :)

VN Store

Back