Review of 2017 WVU stats and looking to UT vs WVU

Shades

Shady member
Here is a look at WVU from 2017, and some conclusions for WVU vs UT.

WVU played 13 games in 2017 (7-6 final record):
1 FCS [Delaware St] (1-0 record)
9 FBS games with Greer (6-3 record)
3 FBS games without Greer (0-3 record)

Chronological schedule results:
Greer was injured in the 1st quarter of the Texas game and did not play for the remainder of the Texas game or the last two games.
Their season went downhill fast during those last three games.
WVU schedule, sort by chronolog.PNG

Now let's look at the above schedule, except sorted by the final 2017 ranking of its opponents:
WVU tanked against top 25 opponents, and did a pretty good job of beating up on weak opponents.
WVU schedule, sort by opp rank.PNG

Turnovers
WVU is prone to turnovers, averaging 2 turnovers per game in 2017.
In every loss in 2017, WVU had a negative turnover differential.
WVU only won one game, by a slim margin, while having a negative turnover differential (Kansas State).
WVU, vs turnover diff.PNG

Greer's passing numbers came largely against a group of teams with very weak pass defenses.
The "strongest" pass defense that Greer faced was VA Tech. However Tech's pass defense was overrated, as they only played two of the top 25 pass offenses in the nation and got smoked by both of them. The next three hardest pass offenses that VA Tech faced were #38 Clemson, #48 UVA and #51 Miami, and they lost to Clemson and Miami. The remainder of VA Tech opponents had very weak pass offenses.

Greer put up some nice passing stats, but he was not tested against a decent passing defense.
WVU, vs opponent passing defense.PNG

WVU rushing offense
WVU can struggle with its run offense or do well with its rush offense, regardless of the opposing defense's strength of rushing defense. WVU rushing yards did not have a strong correlation with wins or losses.
WVU, vs opponent rush defense.PNG

WVU's defense is susceptible to the run.
Even very bad rushing offenses could gain at least 100-150 yds rushing.
Note that lowly Kansas gained 367 yds on the ground.
Teams with decent or good rushing offenses gained 170 to 300+ yds rushing.

A team that rushes for over 200 yds is very likely to beat WVU.
WVU, vs opponent rushing.PNG

WVU against the pass
Teams with decent passing attacks can gain 250-350 passing yds against WVU.
Teams with a mediocre passing attack tend to gain 150-230 yds passing.

Teams with good passing attacks are not guaranteed to beat WVU.
A team does not have to have a stellar passing game to beat WVU, as long as they have a good rushing attack.

WVU, vs opponent passing.PNG

Conclusions for UT vs WVU
Pretty straightforward conclusions; many of which have been discussed in other threads.

1) Win the turnover battle (we hear you General Neyland).
2) Control the game with a strong rushing attack of over 200 yds on the ground. Pound their defensive line over and over.
3) Balance the rushing attack with a respectable passing game (~200 yds).
4) Greer did not face a decent pass defense in 2017. Pruitt's expertise in the secondary will help put the test to Greer, if our guys execute.

I've seen Grier being out for the last 3 games as an excuse for the final record, but I feel like that's a lazy story.
1 of the games was Oklahoma, who they haven't beaten, and wouldn't have beaten regardless of who was injured.
1 of the games was Texas. While they didn't have a stellar defense at #41 in the nation, it was better defense than Kansas State (90th) and Iowa State (43rd) who a WVU with Grier only scored 28 and 20 points against.
1 of the games was Utah. Statistically the best defense WVU played all year at #25 in the nation. If WVU couldn't score 30 against Kansas St. and Iowa State with Grier, why do we automatically assume they do here and win that one?

I honestly believe they go 0-3 in those last games even with the Roided Sensation, with the Texas game being the only real conflicting one since they didn't have weeks to prepare for that one.

Sills had 0 combined touchdowns against Utah, Oklahoma, Texas, and Okie Lite.
Grier threw 25 of his 34 TDs against ECU (2 wins), Del State (FCS), Baylor (1 win), Kansas (0 wins), and Texas Tech (104th ranked defense).

These cats have built their perceived advantage in this game on a house of cards. As terrible as our defense was last year, 81st in the nation, it was ranked better than Kansas State who held them to 28.
VOLS BIG

I agree that they weren't as good last year as they were made out to be...with or without Grier.

But they do bring back a large amount of starters and they will be a year more seasoned.

I still expect to beat them and I don't care what the point spread is.

Contain their passing game, win the turnover margin, and run the ball well enough to control the clock and we win by 7-11 points.

Good analysis, OP. This game is winnable if we can run the ball and put pressure on WG.

Reactions: Shades
I just watched a youtube video of pregame and the vols running through the T.

I am ready. Oh, I am ready.

Reactions: FBtime
Great job by the OP. Very nice. The last point about passing is somewhat of a key. You don't want to get into a track meet with them but you want to have good balance.

I've watched replays of several of their games. A fact that doesn't show up in the raw stats concerning rushing success is that teams with big OL's that ran at them... had success. They're built for speed. They want you to go lateral at or behind the LOS. If you do... they usually stop running plays. Also very important- I haven't found a single power/prostyle running attack they faced last year. It was spread teams that went pistol or put blocking backs in then ran at WVU that had success. Spread teams that "acted" like power running attacks. That would seem to suggest a true power run game would have even more success against them.

WGWTFA!

Every year when we open with an ooc opponent I hear how tough they will be and we usually take care of business. NC State, Cincy, VA Tech, GA Tech.

We will be a much better team than last year. We are NOT SEC champ good, but we will take care of business against UWV. We will beat Vandy, Mizzou, KY, and USC. I think we beat FL too.

Great job by the OP. Very nice. The last point about passing is somewhat of a key. You don't want to get into a track meet with them but you want to have good balance.

I've watched replays of several of their games. A fact that doesn't show up in the raw stats concerning rushing success is that teams with big OL's that ran at them... had success. They're built for speed. They want you to go lateral at or behind the LOS. If you do... they usually stop running plays. Also very important- I haven't found a single power/prostyle running attack they faced last year. It was spread teams that went pistol or put blocking backs in then ran at WVU that had success. Spread teams that "acted" like power running attacks. That would seem to suggest a true power run game would have even more success against them.
This.gif

You don't want to get into a track meet with them but you want to have good balance.

Yep, stack the backfield with 2 or 3 back sets and pound between the tackles, and mix in play-action-pass off the stacked backfield.

Run the ball 50% of the time or less, and it is probably a guaranteed loss.

Run 60-65% of the time with at least 4.5 yds/attempt, mostly power running but with some one-back-set draw plays at the right times, with no turnovers, and we are looking good.

And for Pete's sake, please no Butch Jones one-back-set zone read running plays.

Bonus points if we utilize our tight end. Extra bonus points if the DBs turn their heads defending against the pass.

VN Store

Back