Vols Offensive Gameplan vs Mountaineers

Electric Orange

๐“œ๐“ช๐“ด๐“ฎ ๐“๐“ถ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ช ๐“ก๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด ๐“๐“ฐ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ท
So after finally having enough of Butch Jones and his lackluster, soft, and all too predictable version of the spread, UT is finally ready to get back to doing what made it great: running the ball downhill and through people. West Virginia's 3-3-5 defense is not built to stop power running teams, and their nose tackle and mlb aren't good enough to cover up that flaw. UT should be able to use extra blockers (te, fb, extra ot) in the backfield and on the same side of the line to take advantage of a scheme that primarily faces spread offenses in the pass happy Big 12. I think bubble screens will also help keep the defense honest and prevent stacking the box too much. The WR/TE slot seams will be open, especially if lined up in a trips or bunch formation. It's the same old story, use the run to set up play action, chew clock, give the defense time to rest, and it'll be a good day. I think we run a lot of iso up the middle, counters, traps that let a guard pull, and generally try to get upfield fast and wear them down. Our best chance running is to avoid plays to the outside and avoid slow developing, lateral moving Butch Jonesesque plays. Run it at em with a lead blocker and this defense will know what's coming but be unable to stop it. Controlling the clock is key. Think how many games we could have won if we could have milked the clock instead of running hurry up 3 and outs. I think our defense holds its own as long as they're not on the field too much. Hopefully Pruitt has more common sense than Jones, and will show it during the game. By getting rid of gamecharts, weird wr stances, odd clock management, and slow developing runs, Pruitt could return this offense back into a respectable unit and the Mountaineers defense will crumble even more than usual.

I expect we will watch film on them and identify certain plays we want to check into based off the defense they show. Similar to what was happening to us last year.

If WV tries to just line up and run a base D against us it wonโ€™t work out for them. They will need to run stunts to stop us.

I expect a lot of power running. Pistol or I formation utilizing our best RBs. Let them run off the left side behind one of the best in Trey Smith. Soften their D and make them respect our offense. Then unleash the pass on them.

If we motion and stack extra blockers to one side, it will help keep them at a disadvantage. We could catch their DBs off balance by flooding catchers to one side. Also I think a couple direct snaps to a rb with two te or a fb to help lead might consistently catch their LBs out of position.

And screens. Screens to keep em honest

My guess is they are gonna run a lot of cover 3. If that's the case, hit flats, seams, and gaps between LBs and S for open looks while passing. Flood receivers to one side and take advantge of the coverage being outnumbered and/or mismatched. Force the deep safety to choose one route then throw it to where the other route opens

Theyโ€™re just going to load the box and make our QB beat them over the air which I have little faith in on happening
Then the flat or the seam will be open. Also wr screens could help keep them from just loading the box. They load the box we run levels to same side 10 yards apart. Someone will be open if we can block long enough to get the throw off. Though I agree that going through progressions and quickly getting the pass off to the right guy was not JG's strength last year.

Reactions: Thall17
Then the flat or the seam will be open. Also wr screens could help keep them from just loading the box. They load the box we run levels to same side 10 yards apart. Someone will be open if we can block long enough to get the throw off. Though I agree that going through progressions and quickly getting the pass off to the right guy was not JG's strength last year.
I think we can put up points on them. Just need to keep the defense on its heels. We need to complete some passes to make them respect our passing game just so they donโ€™t get too comfortable and load the box on us

MrT.gif

That's the definition of a qb. If he cant do that then he is not a qb. Why I feel Chryst is the guy when it's all said and done. Hes shown that he can win at a p5 level. He wont be great but I think he makes better decisions than jg.

If i recall correctly, we were somewhat pleasantly surprised w/ the number of mid-range 10-15 yard pass plays, where WR can catch the ball in stride and get some YAC...as opposed to CBJ's bubble screens, along w/ throwing some deep, as we saw from USC last year. I think this will balance the power running game to keep WVU off balance, with the top goal of moving the sticks running the ball and the clock... after these two are established, then there's room for RB screens.

I'll be surprised if we don't gash them every time we run the ball except on 3rd and short. I just do not see them having an answer for Smith or Richmond either one at our tackle positions. Kennedy is no joke at center. Our RBs who go over a 100 yds will all average over 4 ypc is my prediction. I think we can score at will the second half. I just do not see this as a close game, we blow them out or they blow us out, I don't see anything in between.

Tennessee Gameplan Highlights vs. WVU: All players will wash hands after each change of possession, team timeout, or TV timeout. Game balls will be sprayed with Lysol if touched by a player from WVU. Score more points, hold them to less points, and control the line of scrimmage.

Defense better show up. Yes, there will be some running room, but wvu will adjust to those gaps from fb and motion, plus load the box or even go even once in a while to contain our run. Like said above, wrs gonna have to get open, blockers gotta pick up the blitz and block, and QB has to deliver to the right man an accurate ball. We have to hit some passes consistently to keep wvu from sniffing around the run game too much. Have to. I don't think we can personally. I hope hope hope cjp with his knowledge and scheme can slow down/turn this wvu offense over enough to give us a chance.

I'm also worried about our special teams. Will be all season.

Reactions: marvin616
Our team needs to watch film of the 2006 Cal game. We had just come off an embarrassing losing season. Cal came in ranked #9 if I recall. They left with many bruises and few points as we beat them like the government mules they were.

I'd also be OK with a 9-4 record! Many, many things have to go right for us, in order to fare better than 6-6, which includes Pruitt being a good "in game" coach and and our talent levels being vastly under rated, but developed by Pruitt and Co. Because no one really know what to expect from us, except high probability of not being very good, we do have a chance to surprise some folks, similar to Barnes' bball teams the past few years.
2006 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results

Record: 9-4 (26th of 119) (Schedule & Results)

I look for us to attempt to control the clock, limit downfield passes and opt to screen/slant/run it down their throat.
Pruitt knows the key to a dominant defense is having an offense that keeps them off the field.

VN Store

Back