1957 Gator Bowl. UT vs. Texas A&M. Blast from the (distant) past.

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
Still the off season. I detect many of you getting fidgety awaiting kickoff. So many horses beat to death since that Vandy game oh-so long ago.

Found this (it found me..creepy how Youtube knows what you like), and thought I'd throw it out there.

I was 262 days old at the time. Different time. Beauty queens and parades were popular then. Bowls were a big deal too, only a handful.
That pesky Bear Bryant seems to be everywhere. I won't spoil the ending. Hope we won.

Observation.. It didn't have to be 4th down to punt. UT punts on 1st down? Field position must have been important.

Last edited:
I remember it well.

A & M had John David Crow and we had Bobby Gordon.

This was the year after Johnny Majors and the 1956 Vols went undefeated in regular season.

The Bear had always had trouble with Tennessee and this day was no exception.

Don't want to be a spoiler, but I remember something like 3-0.

I remember it well.

A & M had John David Crow and we had Bobby Gordon.

This was the year after Johnny Majors and the 1956 Vols went undefeated in regular season.

The Bear had always had trouble with Tennessee and this day was no exception.

Don't want to be a spoiler, but I remember something like 3-0.

I don't remember this game very well but 9 years later in 1966 my HS sophomore year Bobby Gordon was our HFC at Karns HS. Coach Gordon went on to coach at Doyle HS and then tragically died in a house fire years later.

Reactions: ptcarter
Bill Anderson gets his name called a few times here. I'll bet John Ward was there somewhere.
I'm always amazed at how many people wore a coat and a tie for just casual time. Like Ward Cleaver lounging around the house after work in a suit. Different times.

Reactions: Type Orange+
Crazy seeing all of the fans wearing suits/ties and dresses instead of orange and white.
I noticed that, too. Different era. Toward the end of men's hats being the style. But still quite a few. Airline travel was similar with suits and dresses. Overall, it was a better, more decent time when manners and decorum mattered.

You can still punt on any down, I believe.

True. But when was the last time you saw UT punt on 1st down? It's been a while. Another thing to note on this is that substitutions were limited. Crow not only ran the ball for A&M well, he landed some bruising tackles. Same for Gordon.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Bill Anderson gets his name called a few times here. I'll bet John Ward was there somewhere.
I'm always amazed at how many people wore a coat and a tie for just casual time. Like Ward Cleaver lounging around the house after work in a suit. Different times.

you can bet John Ward was in attendance. But he was calling our area high school Friday night games at this time

I recall the story from Gus Manning about the General, Chattanooga coach Scrappy Moore and others having drinks in the room at the hotel after the game. General showed everyone how to kick a FG and ended up breaking the window. A couple weeks later, AD Neyland gets the bill and asks Manning “what’s this for?” Manning tells him it was result of his coaching clinic. General tells him “that’s legit. Pay it”

True. But when was the last time you saw UT punt on 1st down? It's been a while. Another thing to note on this is that substitutions were limited. Crow not only ran the ball for A&M well, he landed some bruising tackles. Same for Gordon.

Last time I recall was 1973 vs Auburn in a driving rainstorm. Battle punted on first down back to auburn. Turned out to be a good decision.

Of course dumbass interim coach last year (Ive tried to erase all of their names) took the ball in a similar case at start of 2nd half vs LSU to take a relatively close game to a blowout for LSU. Says alot about the quality of coaching around here the last 10 yrs.....

Last time I recall was 1973 vs Auburn in a driving rainstorm. Battle punted on first down back to auburn. Turned out to be a good decision.

Of course dumbass interim coach last year (Ive tried to erase all of their names) took the ball in a similar case at start of 2nd half vs LSU to take a relatively close game to a blowout for LSU. Says alot about the quality of coaching around here the last 10 yrs.....

Shug Jordan had a meltdown on the Shug Jordan show after the 1973 Tennessee-Auburn game saying that Bill Battle showed poor sportsmanship quick kicking in the rain:D:rolleyes:

Of course dumbass interim coach last year (Ive tried to erase all of their names) took the ball in a similar case at start ofmentum 2nd half vs LSU to take a relatively close game to a blowout for LSU. Says alot about the quality of coaching around here the last 10 yrs.....

I was furious, and it let me know Hoke and the staff were not concerned anymore about trying to win games and build any momentum towards 2018. They had already checked.

I was 9 years old and remember it well! Gordon running the ole 46 play bread and butter.

Did anyone see the Tennessee player towards the end of the game stumble and fall down twice? I think it was Gordon...

Still the off season. I detect many of you getting fidgety awaiting kickoff. So many horses beat to death since that Vandy game oh-so long ago.

Found this (it found me..creepy how Youtube knows what you like), and thought I'd throw it out there.

I was 262 days old at the time. Different time. Beauty queens and parades were popular then. Bowls were a big deal too, only a handful.
That pesky Bear Bryant seems to be everywhere. I won't spoil the ending. Hope we won.

Observation.. It didn't have to be 4th down to punt. UT punts on 1st down? Field position must have been important.

You aren't going to believe this, but I was at the game, and have some film from it that my dad took. It was my first U.T. game, and I was 8 at the time.

VN Store

Back