Swain: Josh Palmer "Best Wide Receiver" in Fall Camp

DiderotsGhost

A few encouraging signs among the Wide Receiver group. Still think this has the potential to be our most improved position group.

RTI: Josh Palmer "Best Wide Receiver in Fall Camp

“The best wide receiver, in my opinion, this fall camp…it is not Jauan Jennings, not Marquez Callaway, it’s Josh Palmer,” Swain stated during Monday’s Swain Event show. “He’s been the most consistent wide receiver. He’s been the best wide receiver in this fall camp.”

“When I saw him last year working as a freshman, I was standing next to Fred White or somebody, and I was like ‘Man, he looks physically developed,'” Swain continued. “He looked like he was ready to play physically. Now, mentally, he had just started to play the position two or three years before. So he was just starting to learn how to play the position.”

Swain also high on Jordan Murphy.

“Jordan Murphy has been almost as impressive as Palmer,” Swain said. “He’s been strong. You have a strong five right now.”

Murphy only caught one pass for 12 yards in seven games last year for the Vols, but he’s looked like one of the more consistent and competent receivers even during the open portions of practice that the media can attend. He’s worked his way into the main rotation at receiver, and Swain likes what he brings to Tennessee’s receiving corps along with Palmer.

I'm not too worried about Jennings. He just needs to recover. If JJ is healthy, and we indeed see significant improvements from Murphy and Palmer, and potential contributions from Tillman and even Tyler Byrd, the WR group could be much better than last season.

A little separation, fast cuts, and QB who can pass accurately would allow us big orange fans to have something to cheer about. I expect us to have a good running game but if we can't mix it up teams will load up on us.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Encouraging for sure...WR was never my concern for this team though. Always good to see some of the younger guys stepping up in camp.. but the WR position wont be the reason we go 8-4 or 4-8 this season. Talk to me about our depth on both lines, QBs.. and the cornerback position where we may be starting 2 true freshmen!

Good post though OP!

Wait... Leaving Brandon Johnson out? The team's returning leader in both receptions and yardage?

Figured it was implied that Brandon Johnson and Marquez Callaway are going to be very good. It's more of a question of whether there are other guys who can step up alongside of them.

Or do you mean the article left out Johnson in the comparison?

Last edited:
Pretty obvious Jennings is not there health wise just yet. He had some big plays in 2016, but dude had elevated his play by the spring game of last year and was on his way to being the next great WR here until everything fell apart last fall. I predict he will be limited in the first 3 games, but fully healthy and have a coming out party for the ages on September 22.

Palmer got his number called alot last year, a hell of a lot for a freshman and came up empty. He misjudged a ball vs Florida in the endzone that should have been a TD, then on 3rd down of the same series, didnt turn around in front of the DB to catch a TD pass resulting in an INT. He failed in numerous other attempts to go in his direction. It was an example of piss poor coaching putting him in situations he wasnt ready for due to lack of experience. I hope he progresses this yr.

A little separation, fast cuts, and QB who can pass accurately would allow us big orange fans to have something to cheer about. I expect us to have a good running game but if we can't mix it up teams will load up on us.
What the wide receivers need is simply A system that knows how to get the ball into their hands.

Palmer got his number called alot last year, a hell of a lot for a freshman and came up empty. He misjudged a ball vs Florida in the endzone that should have been a TD, then on 3rd down of the same series, didnt turn around in front of the DB to catch a TD pass resulting in an INT. He failed in numerous other attempts to go in his direction. It was an example of piss poor coaching putting him in situations he wasnt ready for due to lack of experience. I hope he progresses this yr.

The Florida play where he cut off the slant route due to tight coverage and it ended up a pick in the end zone is the lasting image I have of him. May not be fair. But he was not ready last year, and I don’t know why the former staff kept calling his number.

Reactions: Paper_Towel
Does swain get to actually see more than 10 mins of practice? As in does he get to stay and watch what other media guys can’t since he’s a VFL? I have no idea that’s why I ask

Does swain get to actually see more than 10 mins of practice? As in does he get to stay and watch what other media guys can’t since he’s a VFL? I have no idea that’s why I ask

I've heard he gets to hang around the entire time bc he's a VFL. Can't confirm that. That's a big advantage for him in his profession.
Related to that, CJP may want to pay attention to such a thing concerning his ability to control "leaks". Swain's career could be in conflict with coach and his desire to keep things quite before the opener etc.

I love leaks and inside info as much as the next guy. I'm not sure it's the biggest issue for our season. But, the element of surprise is valuable for us, especially in the opener. WVU must be having a lot of convos about exactly what they'll be facing in all three phases. Hopefully, Swain doesn't talk too much @ what he's seeing.

Palmer can be the best WR but he drops the ball so much. Even hearing about him dropping a lot during practice. I just hope come game day he makes those big catches that are going to be thrown to him and Jennings.

I'm really excited about Brandon Johnson.. that dude can run a route. Let's see how we use all this talented WRs we have this season.

Reactions: greazy1722
WR is looking really good this year:

JJ
Marquez
Brandon Johnson
Josh Palmer
Murphy
Byrd
... I'm confident those 6 are going to be important contributors AT LEAST. Possibly some more.

Here's hoping this group runs wild on WVU and turns the table on passing games.

Reactions: sjt18
WR is looking really good this year:

JJ
Marquez
Brandon Johnson
Josh Palmer
Murphy
Byrd
... I'm confident those 6 are going to be important contributors AT LEAST. Possibly some more.

Here's hoping this group runs wild on WVU and turns the table on passing games.
That coupled with a couple of really good TE's... makes a pretty good receiving corps. If they get something out of others then that's just bonus.

Over/under on how many games in before greazy starts taking shots at Palmer and Murphy?
Every body wants to give greazy hell...

Jealous he has famous family in mlb and at Tennessee. I guess?

I just like his perspective. Just as valuable as a swain....imo.

You morons ain't got a clue if you think Pruitt let's swain just hang around all day long, getting scoops and mega insider status.

He prob gets the same 7 minutes of drills every other media guy gets....of which we see about 3.5 minutes of in daily practice videos.

So swain gets 3.5 more minutes than us.

The "swain has uber next level insider vol status and bunks with Pruitt at summer camp" narrative started a day or so ago to prop up swain unwavering multi year allegiance to guarantano when some doof crapped out...

"I think swain can stay all practice long cuz he is so VFL." In response to a wiser soul who had pointed out that 7 min.

If a media member is there all practice....his words are meaningless....as he is clearly a tool of the coach. Otherwise he would get the seven minutes.

Swain seems to forget some of the details of practice. I hear that Palmer may run the best routs of the recivers, but that he drops way too many passes. I know that kast year he stopped a number of drives by droppinf 3rd down drives with drops. If he has improved his hands, we may have a really good passing games this year. I would rate him as our 3rd-4th best reciever until I see him catch balls during games.

Reactions: kennedy262

VN Store

Back