Comparing the Talent Levels at Tennessee and Florida

For the most part, the national narrative around Tennessee is that they’re a low-talent team coming off a 4-8 season with a first-time head coach. Because of that, most national analysts aren’t predicting much success for the Vols in 2018. Florida, on the other hand, is viewed as a team returning a decently talented roster with a proven head coach (albeit a new head coach for them) who should challenge for at least the second spot behind Georgia in the SEC East despite coming off a 4-7 season last year.

But how accurate are those narratives? Does Florida actually have a lot more returning talent than the Vols?

Back in late July, I took a look at how much talent remained on Tennessee’s roster heading into fall camp and Jeremy Pruitt’s first year as head coach. Using that data as comparison, I scoured through Florida’s entire online roster to figure out how their talent compares to what Tennessee returns this year.

The results might surprise you.

Using the 247Sports Composite rankings, I discovered that of Florida’s 81 qualifying players, they have two five-stars, 31 four-stars, 44 three-stars, and four two-stars on their 2018 roster. Those numbers don’t include three-star safety Quincy Lenton who suffered a season-ending injury last week, three-star safety Randy Russell who had his career cut short in January after discovering a heart condition, and four-star defensive back Justin Watkins who left the team following two offseason arrests.

Florida’s 81-man roster averages a 3.38 star rating per player. And when you compare that number to Tennessee’s number, the Vols actually have a slightly more talented overall roster than the Gators heading into this season.

Even not including four-star linebacker J.J. Peterson into the equation for Tennessee, the Vols’ average star rating per player on their roster among their 83 qualifying players is 3.41 stars. Tennessee has two five-stars, 32 four-stars, 47 three-stars, and two two-stars currently on their roster. Of course, if Peterson makes it in and officially joins the Vols, Tennessee’s average will be bumped slightly and climb to 3.42 stars per player.

But the data doesn’t lie: According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, the Vols have slightly more talent than Florida heading into this season. So why are the narratives around the two teams so different despite both coming off four-win seasons and making coaching changes in the offseason?

[...]

Florida’s schedule overall might be easier, but the data shows that when both the Gators and Vols face off in Knoxville this year, their talent will be nearly equal. The question will be which new head coach can get the most out of their squads come September 22nd.

Comparing the Talent Levels at Tennessee and Florida | Rocky Top Insider

A better comparison would be the two deep for either team. Projected of course

Yes, the article points out that they have a higher level of experience than we do and I assume that experience extends through their 2 deep in some areas.

Yes, the article points out that they have a higher level of experience than we do and I assume that experience extends through their 2 deep in some areas.
but the game is in knoxville. With that said, I think UF is favored by 3 points by game time.

Perception is driving that narrative. Off seasons, coaching hires, etc... And it's just easier to say uf isn't as far away as ut.

That game doesn't scare me at all. It actually should be a very competitive game. Chances are probably a lot closer to even on who wins than either being a big favorite.

I think their schedule is easier as well, so conventional wisdom says they'll have a better season.

And they probably will, even if they lose in Knoxville

Last edited:
Very nice article. Thanks for sharing! I think the lack of attention towards the Vols is that there has not been any coaching for these players so they have either been underutilized, used in wrong positions , and absolutely have not had any growth. :) but that is changing!

You should send this to Greg McElroy, according to him this morning, talent is no where close between UT and UF, and we are at the bottom of the sec talent wise. He did say we have a couple of players, but apart from Smith, warrior, and Bituli, that was it...

Reactions: norrislakevol
At this point, talking heads just blowing smoke and getting a paycheck. Vols, if they beat UWV, will come into the UF game with a 3-0 season so far. UF will have Charlston Southern (never heard of them and I'm not joking), Kentucky and Colorado State under their belt. If they are undefeated as well, is that a statement (for them)???

I like our coach, and think he's got more to prove than Mullen. Getting past the UWV hurdle is key. Going into Florida Undefeated, and in Neyland - well there shouldn't be any reason for the team not being ready to play. I think this will be a great game.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Some dude on the WNML was telling jimmy that UT had NO BETTER than bottom 5 talent. There is NO way that USC, Ark, Mizz, etc. Has more talent. Its just stupid talk. ****... UF is probably less.
Vince Ferrara is the guy iirc. I have always gotten the vibe that he hates UT

Vince Ferrara is the guy iirc. I have always gotten the vibe that he hates UT

No, It wasn't Vince. It was yesterday's episode of Tennessee Sports Night. I can't remember who it was, but the guest Jimmy Hyams and Tyler Iving were interviewing was from Alabama...I was taken aback when I heard it a well..

Some dude on the WNML was telling jimmy that UT had NO BETTER than bottom 5 talent. There is NO way that USC, Ark, Mizz, etc. Has more talent. Its just stupid talk. ****... UF is probably less.

I recall during SEC Media Days when it was CJP's turn at the desk to be interviewed by the four bobbleheads, David Pollack said (and I paraphrase): Coach, you have Trey Smith. Is that all you have over there?
It takes only a few moments to analyze our roster as the author of this article has done. I believe what it boils down to is that our adversaries want to apply the boot when they perceive that we are down.

Last edited:

Yeah my head about exploded when I heard that. When you look at raw talent, then Tennessee is in decent shape. We do need to upgrade it some though. To compete for a championship you need to average 3.5 stars or more per player.

If TN beats FL, very few in the media will give TN and CJP credit for being a good team. Instead, they will just say FL isn't as good as they thought they would be and Mullen still has more work to do.
What most are doing is calling TN's under-developed/coached roster an untalented roster. I expect this TN team to play with attitude and play harder than we have seen in quite a while. We win two more games last year with better coaching and play calling. Bet your ass we win at least 6 this year and possibly 8. I trust the defense to be better, we'll see if the offense can keep the ball longer than 3 and out and put up some points. The defense spent way too much time on the field last year because of the offenses inability to run some clock.

I'm not arguing with the author of the story.. I think the teams are mostly even regardless - but that 247 composite ranking he is referring to was for 2017. The 2018 composite hasn't been released yet:

2018 College Football Team Talent Composite

So, there will be changes and additions for both teams - for instance, the author states Florida has two 5* players. Not that it will make a huge difference, but in 2018 there will be three 5* players with the addition of transfer wide receiver Trevon Grimes . (The composite now shows Grimes as a 4*)

Again, I still think the talent level will be mostly equal. There is no huge advantage for either team.....

Nathanael Rutherford is the managing editor and social media manager for Rocky Top Insider. Nathanael graduated from the University of Tennessee and cultivated a passion for the Vols while growing up in Knoxville a mere 10 minutes from Neyland Stadium. He can break down football film as effectively as he can a Star Wars film.

200w.gif

VN Store

Back