One analyst believes Tennessee’s quarterback battle has already been decided

Is it over?

For the second season in a row, Tennessee is trying to find their quarterback in fall camp. Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt has maintained that it’s still a four man battle for the job, but those that have been around during practices are singing a different tune

.Jarrett Guarantano seems like he has taken control of this race. His head start learning the offense in the spring was always going to put him ahead of grad-transfer Keller Chryst to start, but the former Stanford quarterback has failed to close the gap on Guarantano to this point.

Austin Price of Volquest.com said on the Midday 180 yesterday that he doesn’t even think the battle is all that close, despite what Pruitt says. He thinks Guarantano is the runaway favorite to be named the starter.

“I think this is Jarrett Guarantano’s show,” Price said. “I’ve continued to maintain that. I think the only way he’s not the starter is if there’s an injury of some sort.”

A bold projection by Austin Price. A couple of weeks go I heard him make the claim that Chryst's chances to win the starting job were already on life support. Good luck to both young men, I say. Just win, baby!

A bold projection by Austin Price. A couple of weeks go I heard him make the claim that Chryst's chances to win the starting job were already on life support. Good luck to both young men, I say. Just win, baby!
Price seems to approach his job in the same way a lot of the posters on here put across their opinion. It is as if he has a personal stake in the outcome of the QB battle

Wait... did I read that right? Price doesn't think the battle is close despite what Pruitt says? I'm pretty sure that what Pruitt says is the QB battle.
Oh yeah, and we all expect Pruitt to be up front about the QB Battle. For crying out loud, he’s saying it’s still a 4 man battle a week and a half away from the first game and the only name he’s mentioned the last 2 weeks is true freshman J.T. Shrout, who ain’t starting or even playing in any capacity vs WVa. Clearly, JP isn’t being being up front, nor should he be.

In what way did he exhibit some “personal stake”. As a member of VolQuest, he gave an informed opinion.
He doesn't give reasons. He just said that he predicted JG early and has stuck with it. That at least sounds like he's attached his credibility to being right early.

Oh yeah, and we all expect Pruitt to be up front about the QB Battle. For crying out loud, he’s saying it’s still a 4 man battle a week and a half away from the first game and the only name he’s mentioned the last 2 weeks is true freshman J.T. Shrout, who ain’t starting or even playing in any capacity vs WVa. Clearly, JP isn’t being being up front, nor should he be.
Which begs the question of how Price can be so certain if Pruitt isn't tipping his hand.

I know you know this... but playing QB in live competition is a lot more complex than throwing routes against air or even 7 on 7. Unless Price is watching the scrimmage sessions or has a spy... then he doesn't have enough info to make an ironclad declaration like that. I would like to know. I really would. But I want reasons to trust the things being said.

That long thread we have about KC being the man based on JG being chewed out... well, was there more than that? If someone secretly told this "Vol Colonel" that JG wasn't coming along then that's one thing. But getting a chewing even if it was for holding the ball... doesn't mean he's made a habit of it. Maybe they just don't want him to fall back into it.

We've followed this pretty close and there's more smoke than fire... so I would like to know Price's rational rather than his de facto statements.

In what way did he exhibit some “personal stake”. As a member of VolQuest, he gave an informed opinion.
An analyst, by definition, should always offer some kind of real analysis of the circumstances instead of just offering a vehement opinion that this is the way it should be without giving any background content. It has been a constant narrative by price that guarantano is Far and Away the leader in the clubhouse. This despite the fact that the journalists are only allowed to watch seven minutes of practice every day.

He doesn't give reasons. He just said that he predicted JG early and has stuck with it. That at least sounds like he's attached his credibility to being right early.

wow! support the accusing the of something with nothing to back it up.....smh

Reactions: bpalmer28
Which begs the question of how Price can be so certain if Pruitt isn't tipping his hand.

I know you know this... but playing QB in live competition is a lot more complex than throwing routes against air or even 7 on 7. Unless Price is watching the scrimmage sessions or has a spy... then he doesn't have enough info to make an ironclad declaration like that. I would like to know. I really would. But I want reasons to trust the things being said.

That long thread we have about KC being the man based on JG being chewed out... well, was there more than that? If someone secretly told this "Vol Colonel" that JG wasn't coming along then that's one thing. But getting a chewing even if it was for holding the ball... doesn't mean he's made a habit of it. Maybe they just don't want him to fall back into it.

We've followed this pretty close and there's more smoke than fire... so I would like to know Price's rational rather than his de facto statements.
You said it much better than I did

Wait... did I read that right? Price doesn't think the battle is close despite what Pruitt says? I'm pretty sure that what Pruitt says is the QB battle.
Do we really think Pruitt is going to let any info get out? He does come from the Saban school of media relations where no info gets out

Since when do we destroy a guy for stating his opinion? I'm pretty sure Dan Harralson has said he thinks Chryst is ahead. Bottom line is no one can be certain of anything until the guys take the field
Who tried to destroy him? When is questioning how someone came to a particular conclusion an attempt to destroy them?

I know a lot of people don't care for what Swain says, but he stated this morning that Chryst might be third as far as pure QB talent on the roster. JT Shrout may end up being a steal in the recruiting class
Physically speaking. He may be. Just watching his games compared to JG's... he's physically well behind JG. But that has never been JG's issue.

I know a lot of people don't care for what Swain says, but he stated this morning that Chryst might be third as far as pure QB talent on the roster. JT Shrout may end up being a steal in the recruiting class
Absolutely shrout is gonna be a good one along with Mauer if he stays with us

VN Store

Back