Jeremy Pruitt comments on his first Florida game, matching up against Dan Mullen's offense

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...game-matching-up-against-dan-mullens-offense/

During his Monday afternoon press conference, Pruitt was asked to share his thoughts on the series as he sets to embark on the first Florida game of his Tennessee tenure.

“When I was growing up, it was always the first big SEC game of the year,” Tennessee’s coach noted. “When I was growing up, I always loved to watch it – always a lot of passion with both fan bases, a lot of tradition. I’m thankful to have the chance to be a part of it.”

Tennessee fans will be thankful Pruitt is now involved in he delivers a win on Saturday, that’s for sure. To do so, he’ll have to match wits with Florida coach Dan Mullen. The defensive-minded Pruitt and the offensive-minded Mullen have gone against one another for years in the SEC, with Pruitt’s team coming out on top each time.

I actually feeling more confident the closer we get to Sat. I think Pruitt will have our guys loose, motivated and focused. I expect an aggressive attacking playbook from Pruitt and Helton. I just get the feeling we're going to throw the kitchen sink at Florida and Neyland will be a mad house under the lights. Damn I wish I could be there. Nothing quite like Neyland at night.

Man I hope you are right. We just haven’t looked cohesive on either side of the ball. Hoping that with more experience the 💡 comes on at some point. It will happen at some point but Saturday night would be nice.

Reactions: dduncan4163
(I posted this in another thread earlier tonight.)

My hope is that we have a coach that wants it MOST for TN...not for him, the players, or any other reason before wanting it for UT and the football program. When we find that again, we will have found the next great one. That type of head coach has been missing for years.

Man I hope you are right. We just haven’t looked cohesive on either side of the ball. Hoping that with more experience the 💡 comes on at some point. It will happen at some point but Saturday night would be nice.
I'm not
I think they will have a good ganeplan. From what Ive seen, just dont have the horses to get it done.
I don't know if we win but for the first time in years I don't think we play tight and scared. If we're tied or have a lead in the 4th I don't see Pruitt going conservative and playing not to loose. I also won't be shocked to see a fake punt of FG at some point during the game either.

Out of everything that happened during the UTEP game what stuck out most to me is when Pruitt got in Calloway's butt for not catching the punt after the one he muffed. Pruitt is focused on restoring confidence to these kids. Did you see JG yell and pump his fists Sat? Did you see Bain, Philips and even Kongbo start to swarm and fly around in the second half? We are beginning to see a little fire and intensity on the field and expect that continue Saturday with a rowdy crowd under the lights.

Last edited:
(I posted this in another thread earlier tonight.)

My hope is that we have a coach that wants it MOST for TN...not for him, the players, or any other reason before wanting it for UT and the football program. When we find that again, we will have found the next great one. That type of head coach has been missing for years.

That's an excellent way to frame the mindset of the coach we want.

The question is, has Pruitt been at UT long enough to want it for the University? I would say no. He can't afford to get that emotionally invested in a job he may not have 3-4 years from now.

But, on the other hand, if he can win these big games and show he can deliver at this level, the adoration from the fan base coupled with adequate compensation (if the administration is willing to pony up) could convince him that UT is his new home.

This isn't his first rodeo with Mullen but they're riding new bulls. He should have a few strategies that will frustrate the Gators if he's worth his salt.

We haven't given up a TD in 8 quarters and only 3 pts total during that time. Sure we played cupcakes, but we can only play who we play. Either way, how much more cohesive could the defense be playing?

Out of everything that happened during the UTEP game what stuck out most to me is when Pruitt got in Calloway's butt for not fielding the punt after the one he muffed. Pruitt is focused on restoring confidence to these kids.
That's an excellent way to frame the mindset of the coach we want.

The question is, has Pruitt been at UT long enough to want it for the University? I would say no. He can't afford to get that emotionally invested in a job he may not have 3-4 years from now.

But, on the other hand, if he can win these big games and show he can deliver at this level, the adoration from the fan base coupled with adequate compensation (if the administration is willing to pony up) could convince him that UT is his new home.

This isn't his first rodeo with Mullen but they're riding new bulls. He should have a few strategies that will frustrate the Gators if he's worth his salt.
Pruitt knows what this game means to us and he knows a victory will earn him plenty of patience and good will . He also knows what a victory Saturday means on the recruiting trail. Florida is beatable and a W Sat will help ease the pain of the next 4 weeks.

Out of everything that happened during the UTEP game what stuck out most to me is when Pruitt got in Calloway's butt for not fielding the punt after the one he muffed. Pruitt is focused on restoring confidence to these kids.

Pruitt knows what this game means to us and he knows a victory will earn him plenty of patience and good will . He also knows what a victory Saturday means on the recruiting trail. Florida is beatable and a W Sat will help ease the pain of the next 4 weeks.

Even a close loss that doesn't involve a major coaching blunder will buy a lot of goodwill with me. I can take getting outplayed. Hell, I can even take the refs stealing it from us (Gaffney), but if I'm pulling my hair out in the fourth quarter because UT didn't go for 2 or some other nonsense (charts?!), then I will be sorely disappointed in Pruitt.

Damn..., looking back over this post, I'm damaged goods after the last 2 decades.

UT has a decent shot at kicking the $#!+ out of Florida this weekend, damn it!

GO VOLS!

Out of everything that happened during the UTEP game what stuck out most to me is when Pruitt got in Calloway's butt for not catching the punt after the one he muffed. Pruitt is focused on restoring confidence to these kids. Did you see JG yell and pump his fists Sat? Did you see Bain, Philips and even Kongbo start to swarm and fly around in the second half? We are beginning to see a little fire and intensity on the field and expect that continue Saturday with a rowdy crowd under the lights.

Agree. A lot of swarming to the ball and gang-tackling. Lots of energy. Fewer missed tackles. Granted the level of competition the last 2 weeks has been a lot less than they faced Week 1, or will face Saturday, but it doesn't negate that, while there are still too many critical mistakes, we are seeing that when they execute this can be a good team.

if the team and the staff can't get up for this game we've got more problems than the O-line...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worse comes to worse...line these boys up in a double tight, power I and run power behind a fullback. Truth be told, it’d be intriguing to see how they’d execute if they’re confident and comfortable in a dozen downs in a simplified offense.

Last edited:
I think they will have a good ganeplan. From what Ive seen, just dont have the horses to get it done.

Unfortunately, I think you have hit the proverbial nail right square on the head. However, I do hope our Vols can get'er done. Go VOLS ! ! !

Pruitt will have to take over the defense the whole game this Saturday. He’s kinda stepped over sherrer the last 1.5 games.

i expect a spirited effort from all involved this weekend. we need to make fewer, a lot fewer, mistakes than Florida.

i do think we need some good things to happen fairly early.....

Game plan should be simple. Disguise corner blitzes mainly to the right side of the O-Line where Fed Johnson plays. That will be successful 90% of the time.

Fred Johnson is Florida's worst guy on the O-line this year.

Game plan should be simple. Disguise corner blitzes mainly to the right side of the O-Line where Fed Johnson plays. That will be successful 90% of the time.

Fred Johnson is Florida's worst guy on the O-line this year.
well, i would say the right side of our line has been the weak link as well. so whoever can shore that up first.........lol.

Reactions: bmaultbay
Pruitt needs to figure it out and wake everybody up on the wrong side of the bed Saturday. I’d like to see our guys play mean while wanting to rip some ears off.

Reactions: bmaultbay
I think the two teams are fairly even. Turnovers will decide it can't have any if we want to win. I think we get two from Florida an interception and a fumble.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
If it were Pruitt vs Mullen in a mano to mano battle I would pick Pruitt every time. But they arent the ones playing, their plans have to be executed on the field by the teams they have. Confidence in our team vs theirs? Hmmmm..... I WANT to believe. Not sure I am there yet.

Reactions: tbh and EODVOL

VN Store

Back