Things I miss...

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
I remember when the week before the Florida game was pure agony for me. I would scour the internet for anything that would give me confidence that we would win. I would drive my friends and family crazy asking their predictions and then getting mad if they predicted a Vol loss. I would send mean e-mails to poor sportswriters who had anything good to say about Florida and question their sanity. There was no sleeping the night before the game. Many of those pregame nights were spent right here on VN, making fun of the Gators and talking smack to any Gator fan who dared to rear their (ugly) head. My sister still teases me about calling me after a Vol victory over a Spurrier team and I was crying so hard I couldn't even talk.
Those days have been gone for years now. Maybe I just got old. Maybe I got used to losing to so many other teams that losing to the lizards ceased to matter. I still want the Vols to win. I still believe they can. But man, I miss the days when it mattered to me.

I resemble your sentiments myself, but It is a good day when I get to read from a VN legend. I'll count that in the good omen category. I think between Phil and Pruitt the spark of life is coming back. Here's to more wins and more posts by you and the rest of VN.

I think everyone just needs to suck it up. Football goes in cycles, everyone knows that. Alabama had a brutal stretch as well, and for a long time, and look where they are now.

Just two years ago, even as down as we have been, we had College Gameday show up at our games more than anywhere else. At one point that year we were a Top 10 team playing a Top 10 matchup against Bama, and we had a team that by all means was a playoff-level squad. Do you know how many teams in football would give anything just to be somewhat within reach of that kind of relevance just one time?

Had our coaching staff been semi-competent, who knows what that team could have accomplished. During our worst years, we still found NFL talent and national relevancy. This program is a solid coaching staff away from that relevancy being consistent.

Everyone quit crying. It’s Florida week.

Last edited:
I also miss caring about watching other teams and how well they do affect our ranking, standing, and projections. I used to enjoy watching other games because it affected us so much and it made it more fun and entertaining. Outside of a while in 2016 we haven’t had that in a lot of years.

I remember when the week before the Florida game was pure agony for me. I would scour the internet for anything that would give me confidence that we would win. I would drive my friends and family crazy asking their predictions and then getting mad if they predicted a Vol loss. I would send mean e-mails to poor sportswriters who had anything good to say about Florida and question their sanity. There was no sleeping the night before the game. Many of those pregame nights were spent right here on VN, making fun of the Gators and talking smack to any Gator fan who dared to rear their (ugly) head. My sister still teases me about calling me after a Vol victory over a Spurrier team and I was crying so hard I couldn't even talk.
Those days have been gone for years now. Maybe I just got old. Maybe I got used to losing to so many other teams that losing to the lizards ceased to matter. I still want the Vols to win. I still believe they can. But man, I miss the days when it mattered to me.

You need to man up and quit being such a wimp :) BTW, good to see you around these parts again LIO!

I’ve got a good feeling about these young gun running backs platooning the run game. They inspire each other and I think the o linemen. I think they are the key to victory getting pumped up on each other’s success starting a orange firestorm of momentum.

Reactions: feathersax
Fan apathy has set in . It's hard to get beaten down for years and not become somewhat apathetic. However, I do like Pruitt and am trying to convince myself to just be patient for a couple of years and things will get better.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
I miss LOTS of things from the past. Mostly...as I get older and older...I just miss the PAST.

BUT DONT FRET LadyInOrange...every now and then...something NEW happens...and makes me enjoy the PRESENT...I hope this Saturday that will happen for you (and me).

Reactions: savannahfan
I miss when Kentucky, South Carolina & vandie were Vol cupcakes.

Attachments

• Vol cupcakes1.jpg
    Vol cupcakes1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3

Indeed the intense rivalary is gone, unfortunately that's what happens when you lose so frequently, Vols fans are so very starved and now considered the Bag ladies of CFB

images

I miss LOTS of things from the past. Mostly...as I get older and older...I just miss the PAST.

BUT DONT FRET LadyInOrange...every now and then...something NEW happens...and makes me enjoy the PRESENT...I hope this Saturday that will happen for you (and me).
Me too!! :)

I think everyone just needs to suck it up. Football goes in cycles, everyone knows that. Alabama had a brutal stretch as well, and for a long time, and look where they are now.

Just two years ago, even as down as we have been, we had College Gameday show up at our games more than anywhere else. At one point that year we were a Top 10 team playing a Top 10 matchup against Bama, and we had a team that by all means was a playoff-level squad. Do you know how many teams in football would give anything just to be somewhat within reach of that kind of relevance just one time?

Had our coaching staff been semi-competent, who knows what that team could have accomplished. During our worst years, we still found NFL talent and national relevancy. This program is a solid coaching staff away from that relevancy being consistent.

Everyone quit crying. It’s Florida week.
This is my thread and I'll cry if I want to.

Bet $1,000 on the game. Your butterflies, anticipation, and passion for ut/uf will magically return. You're welcome

Reactions: TN Outlaw
I miss caring. Now I can do something in the background now sort of just partially watching the game. I know any real opponent and we will get crushed and watching us run over a creampuff is sort of boring. When I believed that the season mattered or that the game could be the difference of where we were on the next poll, I was on the edge of my chair the whole way, glued to the screen, yelling my head off (scaring the wife). I just miss when any game actually mattered. I like Pruitt. I really hope he can get us back there.

I remember when a loss to Florida (or anyone) would put me in a bad mood for a week. I expect to lose most of the time now. I will be fired up and a little nervous all day Saturday in anticipation but, honestly, if they don't play well I will check out mentally for the rest of the season, I just can't stand to watch the beatdowns anymore.

Reactions: LadyinOrange

VN Store

Back