Things you've liked so far...

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
Checked in on the nation and gotta admit it's a tad gloomy. Thought a good thoughts excercise might help.

Here are mine:

That we've already exceeded our plays of 50+ over last year.

That we had an 80+ yard rushing TD

That we have several competent backs ready if one goes down.

That Chryst has already gotten snaps in the event JG gets banged up, and has appeared to be competent.

Pitched our first shutout since 2016

Put away bad teams and never made me worry despite a bad opening game, sketchy o line, and new coaching staff.

That UF looks as bad or worse than we do.

GBO whip dey ass

I've liked JG's passing--strong, accurate intermediate throws and connecting on some deep passes that he would not have hit last year. Taking care of the football. I've loved the fight of our running backs and wide receivers to deliver hits and get as many yard as possible. The kickers have performed well. I've liked the much-improved run defense. I've liked that it seems like these players have been coached well, and that the future is promising for this team.

It's nice to see the defense not giving up big run after big run after big run to any team we play.
Recievers have been playing well.
JG has improved. I want more TD's through the air but he is definitely improved.
As we all know, the RB's have all looked really good.
We have healthy team going into the Florida game. The player health monitoring and management has been night and day from last year.
Coaching happens throughout the game.
The return of the I formation.

Only thing I am not liking right now is happening in the trenches. Everything else appears to be a step forward from last year. I'm sure the O-line has improved a little, just not enough to give me the warm and fuzzies.

Checked in on the nation and gotta admit it's a tad gloomy. Thought a good thoughts excercise might help.

Here are mine:

That we've already exceeded our plays of 50+ over last year.

That we had an 80+ yard rushing TD

That we have several competent backs ready if one goes down.

That Chryst has already gotten snaps in the event JG gets banged up, and has appeared to be competent.

Pitched our first shutout since 2016

Put away bad teams and never made me worry despite a bad opening game, sketchy o line, and new coaching staff.

That UF looks as bad or worse than we do.

GBO whip dey ass

I like that we have a QB coach who has helped JG. He stil has qrowing to do but is better than last year.

Fewer missed tackles.

Pass protection seems to be improving.

Out WRs actually block well.

CJP is willing to go for it on 4th down.

I like that we have a QB coach who has helped JG. He stil has qrowing to do but is better than last year.

Fewer missed tackles.

Pass protection seems to be improving.

Out WRs actually block well.

CJP is willing to go for it on 4th down.

Calloway has been a beast blocking on the outside. Chandler has been exceptional picking up blitzes. At one point in the utep game I was wanting to try them on the ol.

Things I like to far? Well, I predicted cjp wouldn't make it here, based on historical stats of first time head coaches, but I like what I see and hear so far. The man seems to know the chess match that is football. Football is all about the coaching, and cjp has me hopeful that he has what it takes :)

Reactions: TC 83
JG has looked like a different player this year, the running backs seem to have a renewed determination to gain yardage as opposed to last year and the receivers have looked better coached, although there have been far too many drops.

Its too early to judge the DB's ( they have been beaten on several occasions but the receivers droped the ball, Thanks)
LB's seem to be better but its too early to judge because of the competition they have played.
the Dline has looked better for the most part, but still don't have much pass rush, again hard to judge because of the competion they have played.
The Oline, well......we all know how bad the Oline has looked at times even with the lack of quality opponents, this is the teams achilles heel so far and will probably remain so for the rest of the year, save a miracle.

At this point winning 6 games seems remote, but sometimes I think winning 4 games may be difficult.....its goint to be a long year with alot of cursing, crying, bitching and more, here on Vol Nation.....but hey its football and we'll just have to make the most out of it, whatever that amounts to, win or lose
Go Vols

I think the players are receiving better coaching now. JGs leap seems to be evidence of this. This and other improvements like deeper RB group are overshadowed by a bad O-line.

If the O-line weren’t so bad we’d be a lot more positive about the team and what the staff is doing overall. It’s such a glaring hole that it becomes the focus and will be why we lose a lot of games.

Reactions: photovol
Health
I Formation
Nasty Receivers
Smash mouth running backs
AND
little light bulbs going off as they learn to play instinctively, to paraphrase CJP, we had some plays that went that 8 or 9 yards, if we have all 11 guys do their jobs at the same time it'll be cornbread eatin time in TENNESSEE!

JG has looked like a different player this year, the running backs seem to have a renewed determination to gain yardage as opposed to last year and the receivers have looked better coached, although there have been far too many drops.

Its too early to judge the DB's ( they have been beaten on several occasions but the receivers droped the ball, Thanks)
LB's seem to be better but its too early to judge because of the competition they have played.
the Dline has looked better for the most part, but still don't have much pass rush, again hard to judge because of the competion they have played.
The Oline, well......we all know how bad the Oline has looked at times even with the lack of quality opponents, this is the teams achilles heel so far and will probably remain so for the rest of the year, save a miracle.

At this point winning 6 games seems remote, but sometimes I think winning 4 games may be difficult.....its goint to be a long year with alot of cursing, crying, bitching and more, here on Vol Nation.....but hey its football and we'll just have to make the most out of it, whatever that amounts to, win or lose
Go Vols

Chris Winke's group look very well coached! Thanks Chris

Have liked...

Like JG's decision-making, arm strength and accuracy, and lack of INTs so far.
Like the RBs (physical, and all will block)
Like the WRs (route running, catching the ball, and blocking)
Liked the gang-tackling I began to see against UTEP as the defense was swarming to the ball.
Liked the young DBs not looking lost most of the time.
Like the far fewer missed tackles than we saw game 1.
Like seeing the vertical throws that were missing from the arsenal in 2017.
Like seeing the different schemes and looks that Helton has shown to date. Helton has put a lot of schemes and formations on tape that gives Grantham a whole lot to try to prepare for.
Like seeing more push from our DTs.
Like that we haven't given up a TD in 2 games, regardless of the level of competition.
Like seeing Pruitt constantly teaching on the sidelines.

Haven't liked...

LG play at the LOS, although J. Johnson is struggling at LOS, he has been very effective when pulling.
RT play. DR still struggling.
Dumb penalties that negate TDs and others that extend opponent's drives.
Fumbles
Punt returns.
Ability to consistently set the edges on defense.
Lack of that elite edge pass rusher.

The passing game has been strong and no turn overs there. ummm, the 2nd half of games where we figure out how to run the ball. That's about it.

Edit: [B]Crazy Ivan[/B] killed it.

well done

I've liked:

1. Same as everyone else, improved QB,RB,WR play.

2. Actual coaching and telling it like it is, good or bad.

3. UF losing to KY(had to throw that in there somewhere)

4. Been a pretty decent crop of bettys at the games so far.

5. Butch is not in Knox anymore and I don't have to see or hear his BS nor do I have to hear about the Germans and shower discipline. If we are losing at least let me hear a coach talking about football and how he plans to improve our players. (Kinda related to 2. but is a different thing to me.)

6. Regardless of how UT is doing, it's still football time in TN. We all still gather and fellowship. Cooking great meals, games are on TV, kids have a mini football game going on. Good times.

May not fit exactly what was asked but hey, it wasn't negative.

WR's have been relatively consistent....

JG's completion % is really hard to argue with.

turnover margin needs to continue, or just get better....

like the committment to the run game. really like seeing some of the run game formations....

all the RB's have flashed, i think chandler is obviously the best of the bunch. i think Banks's future is extremely bright, just has to get ball security down. Tim Jordan has flashed as has London.

the TE's being involved in the blocking scheme has been pretty good. DWA has real potential to be very very good. Pope has gotten tougher.

PUnter has been pretty good.

Cimaglia has been ok, though we don't have a huge sample size....need him to be very consistent, we'll need him this year.

i like the overall tone this staff has tried to set for this team in the 1st three games. as execution gets better, that'll pay dividends. just a matter of when?

we've been relatively injury free, with Kennedy being the lone big loss of the season. really need that trend to continue. big time.

defensively, it's been hit and miss. i think the DT's have been pretty good. i think the MLB's have been pretty good. and both young corners have flashed. need to generate more turnovers, and get better at DE and OLB....fast. Was nice seeing Shamburger and Thompson both make plays the last two weeks. would like to see them both on the field more going forward.

VN Store

Back