questions for florida game

SLCute

hey all.
I have never been to a game in Neyland or Tennessee in general. I will be at the Florida game this weekend, where are some good places to get food or a drink before and after the game? I have never tailgated in the SEC and wanna see the hype! is it better to uber/lyft to the game or is there mass transit? TIA

The game traffic is aweful like 2 hours after the game be prepared to hang around for a while. There are a couple of buses that run from the stadium to different parts of town. I'd have a cooler ready to have a beer or five while you wait around. Have fun man, you're gonna love it!

Everyone talks about Calhoun's on the River. I've never tried to attempt it because I figured it would be too packed but I might just try that this weekend.

I just park at Walmart for 20$ and walk the rest of the way and look around. It's about a 15min walk to the stadium. They do have free bus rides to the stadium at a bunch of locations.

I'll see you there, make sure to scream!!

Reactions: KBVol
Everyone talks about Calhoun's on the River. I've never tried to attempt it because I figured it would be too packed but I might just try that this weekend.

I just park at Walmart for 20$ and walk the rest of the way and look around. It's about a 15min walk to the stadium. They do have free bus rides to the stadium at a bunch of locations.

That's where we are going to be.

Knoxville has a lot to offer, but you have to decide if you want to fight the traffic or hangout downtown. It gets pretty chaotic before kickoff and for a couple hours after the game. Uber/Lyft will be hard to come by and if you do find one they charge higher rates due to the demand. Plus you’ll just be paying to sit in traffic. If you wait an hour or so after the game the rates will go down and you should be fine. West Knox has a lot of food and shopping, but in my opinion you should hangout downtown and around the stadium to take in the full atmosphere. There’s quite a few options for parking. I’d park on the outskirts of campus and walk to the stadium. It might be a bit of walk, but it’ll allow you to take it all in and easier to get out after the game. I’d avoid the Cumberland Avenue (the Strip) area as far as parking, but you might want to walk through there to see it.

As far as food, the downtown area has a lot of restaurants and bars. It’s not so much chain restaurants and can be pricey:

Bars: Merchants of Beer, Scruffy City, Balter Beerworks, Suttree’s Tavern, Blackhorse, Downtown Grill and Brewery, Clancy’s, Casual Pint, Barley’s, and others. Hyatt Place just opened recently downtown and has an awesome roof top bar, but drinks are expensive. There are even more bars in the Old City, which is about a 10 minute walk from market square (center of downtown Knoxville)

Food: Stock & Barrel (burgers), Tomato Head (pizza), Cafe 4, Tupelo Honey, Sweet P’s (bbq), Calhoun’s on the River, and Copper Cellar (Cumberland Avenue area) are good places to eat. West Knoxville has all of the chain restaurants and such too if you want to brave the traffic.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Another transit option, ride our bikes for free! I have a thread from last week with all of the info on Pace bike share in Knoxville and the coupon codes are still active. You should find plenty of parking on campus, and you might just find a Tennessee Orange Pace bike rolling around this weekend (if I get it finished in time :D)

Thread here if interested: Free Pace Bike Rides Courtesy of Freak

thanks guys! I think my plan is to go find a few bars before the game. Is there a main tailgate lot? Can you openly drink? do people party after the game while waiting for traffic to die?
Sunday my plan is to go to smoky mountain national park. I'm so excited for this trip.

thanks guys! I think my plan is to go find a few bars before the game. Is there a main tailgate lot? Can you openly drink? do people party after the game while waiting for traffic to die?
Sunday my plan is to go to smoky mountain national park. I'm so excited for this trip.
If you are under 30; ask where The Strip is. Many drunk co-Ed’s and places to drink.
Over 30, go see the Vol Navyon Tn river, start singing Rocky Top and you’ll be invited onto a boat for free food and booze.
Drinking is mostly ignored by the cops. Just use cups or flasks. Don’t drink directly from a beer can or hooch glass or container. Have fun and Welcome to Big Orange Country.
We are very proud of our reputation for southern hospitality. Enjoy.
Oh, the proper way to greet another Vol fan is by saying...Go Vols! Or....How bout them Vols!

Some of the more popular tailgating spots are FIJI island on fraternity row, near the AG campus, circle park/torchbearer statue, and Cumberland. There will be people everywhere though.

bus rides are $10

Shirley and I never went to a night game despite the various games we attended. We showed up 4-5 hours before game time and parked free at MarketPlace garage. We'd sort of tour walk downtown Knoxville, eat at one of the many options including Calhoun's. But that'snot fair because we had the luxury of staying at a guesthome about 2.5 miles from Neyland. So a short down South Gay Street and a left turn on Sevier Avenue and we were well on our way to the guesthouse. We left the next morning around 9AM, smooth sailing. But parking wise, the MarketPlace garage is free and you're in walking distance of the UT campus with cops making sure of folks safety along the way.

You are in for a treat. Get there early as you can and stay as late as you can. There is a lot to soak in. It should be a good game. I’m expecting a win.

GO Vols!

Reactions: feathersax
Night game against Florida ... the electricity in the air outside and inside is what powers Neyland stadium lights. First timers, be there in place for the Vol Walk and the Pride of the Southland band coming around the corner and on to Philip Fulmer way.

Copper Cellar or Cals on the river, both get packed so be there early. I normally park on the Ronald McDonald House and walk the rest of the way. Easy out after the game just stay away from Cumberland.

I like parking at "Church on Church ST". Calhoun's is a pretty short walk down but a hike back up the hill back. Not a bad walk to State street either from there.

The best restaurants downtown, IMO:
Lonesome Dove
JC Holdway
Oliver Royale
Emilia
Knox Mason
Nama (sushi)
Cafe 4
Stock and Barrel (burgers)
Tupelo Honey

Cool Beans by the Lake Ave parking garage. If you go early, you will get good service. Then hit the Vol Walk up and go to Circle Park for a few and to the stadium.

one more queston for you. what are you liquor laws like?
You will be able to purchase before and after the game. Knoxville, Tennessee has super relaxed liquor laws. No government regulated ABC stores that are required to close at 7PM.
Edit: Forgot it is a 7PM game. Get what you need before the game. You could be trying to get for a while.

VN Store

Back