6 yards a play? Downfield run blocking?

VolTexas

I don't recall Tennessee teams running this well in a "base hit" kind of way. Yeah, Travis Henry would always get yards, but this team looks different.

I've seen big plays from stacked lines where Shaun Bryson takes it to the house as a lead "blocker."

This team looks different. I don't know if they borrowed the Auburn running attack from a few years ago. It seems like before we blocked to make holes, whereas this year we block to make "tracks."

I think we are borrowing plays from the best teams Pruitt has faced while at Alabama. And it is starting to work.

I think you may be right. But, this game against UF will tell the tale. I get the feeling that the reason things look good is because of the competition. UFs defense is much better than anyone we have played so far.
Yet Kentucky put up over 300 yards rushing against them....Granted Snell is arguably the best back in the SEC, but we have four really good backs, 3 of which have breakaway scoring speed. Personally, I think this is the worst Florida Defense we have seen in years.

Yet Kentucky put up over 300 yards rushing against them....Granted Snell is arguably the best back in the SEC, but we have four really good backs, 3 of which have breakaway scoring speed. Personally, I think this is the worst Florida Defense we have seen in years.

This is also the worst OL we’ve had in years. They could barely block ETSU and UTEP correctly. We won’t be able to block for our talented RBs.

This is also the worst OL we’ve had in years. They could barely block ETSU and UTEP correctly. We won’t be able to block for our talented RBs.
I agree about the OL but I expect Pruitt will use the FB in run blocking a lot more this game.

Reactions: feathersax

One thing Vols fan might not want to accept but is nonetheless true. This year's KY team is good. They're bigger, faster, and better coached. At this point, they're better than we are. I believe as the season progresses, the team will become more Pruittized and close the gap. But right now, Kentucky isn't to be pooh-poohed as an automatic win for us or the usual annual pansy. Now, as to your pont, we know Florida is down this year. So no surprise when a bruising fast back like Benny Snell who has a real OL crushes the Gator DL. We'll do the same IF,IF,IF our OL creates decent push. It would likely be over 300/yds if we rotate the backs to keep them fresh as they are a tallented hard running group. At the moment comparing us to Kentucky isn't justified, perhaps by 10PM Saturday night, by which time the game should be over barring OT play, we can do a comparison. But at the moment, it isn't justified.

Last edited:
One thing Vols fan might not want to accept but is nonetheless true. This year's KY team is good. They're bigger, faster, and better coached. At this point, they're better than we are. I believe as the season progresses, the team will become more Pruittized and close the gap. But right now, Kentucky isn't to be pooh-poohed as an automatic win for us or the usual annual pansy. Now, as to your pont, we know Florida is down this year. So no surprise when a bruising fast back like Benny Snell who has a real OL crushes the Gator DL. We'll do the same IF,IF,IF our OL creates decent push. It would likely be over 300/yds if we rotate the backs to keep them fresh as they are a tallented hard running group. At the moment comparing us to Kentucky isn't justified, perhaps by 10PM Saturday night, by which time the game should be over barring OT play, we can do a comparison. But at the momnt, it just isn't justified.
I wouldn't be so sure about this, Mark Stoops isn't a very good game manager.

Reactions: johnrlansford
One thing Vols fan might not want to accept but is nonetheless true. This year's KY team is good. They're bigger, faster, and better coached. At this point, they're better than we are. I believe as the season progresses, the team will become more Pruittized and close the gap. But right now, Kentucky isn't to be pooh-poohed as an automatic win for us or the usual annual pansy. Now, as to your pont, we know Florida is down this year. So no surprise when a bruising fast back like Benny Snell who has a real OL crushes the Gator DL. We'll do the same IF,IF,IF our OL creates decent push. It would likely be over 300/yds if we rotate the backs to keep them fresh as they are a tallented hard running group. At the moment comparing us to Kentucky isn't justified, perhaps by 10PM Saturday night, by which time the game should be over barring OT play, we can do a comparison. But at the moment, it isn't justified.

On the plus side, our B-ball team should be better than theirs this year. The world is upside down. It can be set right by UT beating both UF and UK in football.

I'm not buying the Kentucky hype yet. The next two weeks will tell us more about them. They only beat central Michigan 35-20. The season is too young to know much more than Alabama is by far the best team.

Like it is every year, this game will be decided by who gets the most rushing yards.

What about bringing back the use of the Full Back though, I can't possibly be the only one excited about this? Ty Chandler definitely benefitting, Austin Pope had a pretty good to block to seal off the whole for his 81 yard jog. Hope smash mouth football is making its way back to Tennessee

Like it is every year, this game will be decided by who gets the most rushing yards.

Haven’t we won the rushing battle recently and still lost? 2 out of the last 3 years I think but not sure.

I think you may be right. But, this game against UF will tell the tale. I get the feeling that the reason things look good is because of the competition. UFs defense is much better than anyone we have played so far.

I am beginning to like our chances. Total Defense - FBS Football Stats

Defense / Offense Ranks:
Tennessee: D-14th, O-75th

WVU: D-54th, O-10th
UTEP: D-104th (tied with TX Tech), O-128th
Gators: D-42nd, O-92nd (tied with Cal.)

I am beginning to like our chances. Total Defense - FBS Football Stats

Defense / Offense Ranks:
Tennessee: D-14th, O-75th

WVU: D-54th, O-10th
UTEP: D-104th (tied with TX Tech), O-128th
Gators: D-42nd, O-92nd (tied with Cal.)

In evaluating Tennessee and Florida you have the same problems with both teams. New coaches, new schemes, relatively weak schedules. This may come down to which team has done the best job of installing their systems. Players just can't play to their full potential until they're playing instinctively and not having to "think" about what to do. I thought I saw that in Tennessee's defense last Saturday I hope I'm right. GBO

It’s a welcome change though. The last few years we couldn’t even run against the FCS teams

I just don't see our running game as a strength. We turn guys free up the middle on every series and our backs sometimes work miracles just to get out of the backfield. We run well on the edges but I attribute most of that to the backs. To me we have some major issues at C, LG, and RT. I think the C and LG issues will get better, not sure about the RT since that project has been ongoing for 3 years now.

Reactions: arkivol

Snell = Not Best Back In SEC.

I'm not buying the Kentucky hype yet. The next two weeks will tell us more about them. They only beat central Michigan 35-20. The season is too young to know much more than Alabama is by far the best team.
Not so sure... Ga. looks pretty good. I think Bama's defensive backs are going to need to get a whole lot better if they end up playing Ga. The interior of both teams are really good, depth ,I think, would make the difference in a game and they both have it.
QB play?? Not sure yet.
BUT WHO CARES,,,, GO VOLS!!!!

In evaluating Tennessee and Florida you have the same problems with both teams. New coaches, new schemes, relatively weak schedules. This may come down to which team has done the best job of installing their systems. Players just can't play to their full potential until they're playing instinctively and not having to "think" about what to do. I thought I saw that in Tennessee's defense last Saturday I hope I'm right. GBO
agreed. it was Utep, so i don't wanna get ahead of myself, but i agree. they "looked" the part last week. hope that's the start of a trend.

I agree we have 4 good backs. But disagree that 3 have breakaway scoring speed....only one does, Ty Chandler....which is why only one has broken away and scored on a long run at this point...Ty Chandler.

I wouldnt say at this point that FL defense is better tHan WVU defense. Time will tell though.

I agree we have 4 good backs. But disagree that 3 have breakaway scoring speed....only one does, Ty Chandler....which is why only one has broken away and scored on a long run at this point...Ty Chandler.

I really think we need to use the strategy UGA used when Chubb had RBs around him, not his freshman year when he was basically alone. Get Chandler a few carries early, keep him fresh. Use the others perhaps 60/70% of the time. Come back second half, start the same way, mid 3rd quarter, switch to your top two RBs, Chandler and the true #2 exclusively.

Really hate to break it to you, only Chandler has break away speed.

VN Store

Back