Is this part of Haslams plan to maintain control?

He is a UT grad, a successful business man, no real scandals in his background. I guess I just don't get all the Haslam hate on this board.

It has a lot to do with his incompetence and demands to control our university. Then there's the whole fire the maintenance staff and hire contractors. Especially when his brother is invested in those contractors. It's dirty, unethical, and it should be illegal, but Tennesseans keep on letting it happen.

He is a UT grad, a successful business man, no real scandals in his background. I guess I just don't get all the Haslam hate on this board.

Because the Haslam boys have singlehandedly brought us to the low point we are in Tennessee Football. They wanted Fulmer gone, they wanted Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. They were the ones behind Currie, and us almost getting that #$&*@^% from Penn State (by way of Ohio State).

The Halsams came in and took power away from Thornton and Anderson. That's when all our problems started.

It has a lot to do with his incompetence and demands to control our university. Then there's the whole fire the maintenance staff and hire contractors. Especially when his brother is invested in those contractors. It's dirty, unethical, and it should be illegal, but Tennesseans keep on letting it happen.
I don't necessarily agree with the privatization of gov't jobs but it did save taxpayers a lot of money going to private contractors. State benefits and pensions are very generous compared to the private sector. I don't want to get into politics here but I haven't found his leadership in Tennessee to be incompetent.

I get the Haslam hate but to try and got someone who doesn’t have Haslam ties would be pretty hard to do. I know next to nothing about this guy so I’m pretty indifferent.

I know all parties referenced in this thread and all of them want Tennessee to win. There's no conspiracy. We've just been snake bit on coaching hires and got it right in basketball twice and would not pay the money to get a good football coach. Nobody wanted the job this past try and we ended up with a gem. Nobody would help Bruce when all that went down. That was on UT's general counsel at that time who is gone now. Never should've happened. the only one i worry about is little jimmy.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. For those who don't remember, Haslam picked and endorsed Boyd for his bid as Tennessee's Governor. I sent an email expressing my disapproval, while I know it will have absolutely no impact; I felt the need to do so and hope others do as well.
Yep. Given that Boyd was the Haslams' pick, I'm surprised he didn't win the Republican primary. When that family gets involved politically, they usually win.
Do you people see the Haslams under your bed at night?
I know you're being sarcastic, but if you think that the Haslams don't wield incredible influence at UT, in Knoxville, or in Tennessee state politics generally, you're wrong.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Because the Haslam boys have singlehandedly brought us to the low point we are in Tennessee Football. They wanted Fulmer gone, they wanted Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. They were the ones behind Currie, and us almost getting that #$&*@^% from Penn State (by way of Ohio State).

The Halsams came in and took power away from Thornton and Anderson. That's when all our problems started.
And you know this HOW?

I don't necessarily agree with the privatization of gov't jobs but it did save taxpayers a lot of money going to private contractors. State benefits and pensions are very generous compared to the private sector. I don't want to get into politics here but I haven't found his leadership in Tennessee to be incompetent.

His leadership regarding sports is completely incompetent. See the Cleveland Browns and the Tennessee Vols.

His leadership regarding sports is completely incompetent. See the Cleveland Browns and the Tennessee Vols.
...and Jimmy Haslam runs a business that recently had multiple top lieutenants of his either plead guilty or be found guilty of multiple felonies. His "leadership" skills in basically every endeavor of his are a total joke.

A successful business man, in what way?

He simply runs a company that’s the result of a joint venture that includes the company his father started, not him. It was reported that the Pilot Flying J board was paying ex-staffers’ legal bills in a diesel fuel rebate scam. We can point to Haslam’s failures there....

Remember the reports of the company being billions of dollars in debt?

Haslam is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. The franchise was bad before he took over, only to get worse.

Don’t forget Jimmy Hyams’s article noting that Haslam, a member of the A.D. search committee, was reportedly the guy who pushed for John Currie.

Anyone who has buildings named after them (Haslam School of Business), it would be naive of anyone to say he doesn't have influence. He is a "major" football booster and notice the coaching debacles over the course of the last several years.

I know all parties referenced in this thread and all of them want Tennessee to win. There's no conspiracy. We've just been snake bit on coaching hires and got it right in basketball twice and would not pay the money to get a good football coach. Nobody wanted the job this past try and we ended up with a gem. Nobody would help Bruce when all that went down. That was on UT's genera counsel at that time who is gone now. Never should've happened. the only one i worry about is little jimmy.

Mike Leach and the NC State coach were both willing to take the job.

I was referring to Haslam the governor. Not his brother the Browns owner or the one who secretly controls the worldwide banking system, Kim Jung and Tennessee athletics. I get that he has influence but blaming him for all of Tennessee football problems seems silly. Lots of folks wanted Fulmer replaced when he was fired.

I was referring to Haslam the governor. Not his brother the Browns owner or the one who secretly controls the worldwide banking system, Kim Jung and Tennessee athletics. I get that he has influence but blaming him for all of Tennessee football problems seems silly. Lots of folks wanted Fulmer replaced when he was fired.
Bill Haslam, the governor, is scandal-free, you are correct. He is a member of the family but not directly involved all that much with UT.

Bill Haslam's dad (Big Jim) and brother (Jimmy) are intimately involved with the University and attempt to run it like their own personal fiefdom. They have a heavy hand in every major administrative personnel decision that gets made there, whether it be President, Chancellor, athletic director, or football coach. Impacting the hires at the top of the food chain impacts the hires as you go down the food chain. I wouldn't say they are dictators of the University but they have tremendous influence. When they become convinced of a particular course action, it requires the rest of the admin and boosters to become totally united to stopping it.

And you know this HOW?

Well, it's pretty common knowledge. You can go back and do the research yourself.

There was another power struggle that started after the Schiano fiasco, which lead to Anderson and Thornton getting some others on board and getting Fulmer hired back. Haslam then reworked the board, using his Governors position, to regain control of the board, force out Davenport.

Did you miss it when it happened? I mean, the power struggle is still going on. This is Haslam's second move in re-establishing dominance. Stacking the board just in time to get the new president in, he will be in position to get control back and running off Fulmer again. Then, about Pruitt's 3yrd year, he'll find an excuse to get rid of Pruitt, and get their choice for coach again.

If Anderson and Thornton don't win this struggle, UT might as well shutdown the football program. Their Dad knew a little bit about football. His kids know nothing about it, but think they do. Hence their purchase of the Browns, and them running UT into the ditch from behind the scenes.

Go here Haslam and His Money
and follow the discussion I had with Hubbard. You can see I was pretty close, $10 ticket price increase, and looking at adding alcohol sales. That would make up for any missed donations from the Haslams.

Haslams are having to use the Governorship to reassert control.

And you know this HOW?
You're not going to find a Knox News-Sentinel article saying "the Haslam family runs UT." They aren't going to spell this stuff out because 1) it would be damaging to the powers that be and 2) there's no real way to prove any of it. Some of this is speculation, but speculation firmly grounded in evidence.

However, if you read some reporting, use some common sense, and connect a couple of dots, you can see at a high level what is going on. I mean, the "Haslam" name is prominently displayed on every other building on the UT campus.

@TN_Transplant I fear you are right that if Pruitt doesn't have a great year in 2020, they will try and drum up support to fire Pruitt (likely Fulmer too) and re-assert control. Fulmer is currently in control of the AD because of the coup that occurred after Currie was fired, but HoH is throwing its weight around and will influence who Phil's bosses are going to be (President and Chancellor). If they get figures in those positions who can be influenced/controlled by the Haslams, the dysfunction continues.

I think leach is ok but would you really want him in the vol navy the night before the game in a pirate hat getting hammered? He throws 50 times per game. He can coach ok but was a bad fit for Tennessee.
if it meant getting back to nine ~ten wins seasons, ( guaranteed Sugar Bowl trip every year) then check yes!

Reactions: Donvolson

VN Store

Back