The season that forever altered the Tennessee-Florida rivalry

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...orever-altered-the-tennessee-florida-rivalry/

After showcasing one incredible tailback after another for more than a decade, the Vols were forced to lean on Travis Stephens in 2001. Little was expected out of the 5-9, 190-pound tailback that season. Yet he delivered. Stephens set the single-season school record for rushing yards with 1,464. He ran for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Gators in that season finale.

That game also seemed to be the moment in which UT defensive coordinator John Chavis had finally figured out Florida coach Steve Spurrier. Chavis and the Vols had beaten Florida before in 1998 at the height of Spurrier’s reign, but that victory was about an opportunistic defense that created turnovers when it absolutely had to and Jeff Hall’s right leg.

Chavis came out of his shell in 2001 by using what he would call a “Prowler” package. The defensive approach was based on keeping Florida’s offense off guard by constantly moving players around in the front seven. Even defensive linemen stood and bounced back and forth between gaps before the snap. UT’s defense still gave up 362 passing yards and 32 points, but the Vols kept the Gators guessing. Suddenly, Spurrier’s offense looked a bit antiquated. He refused to run the ball even though that seemed like the better option considering UT often just had one defender positioned to stop the run. Chavis knew that Spurrier wanted to win by throwing the ball. Spurrier played right into the Chavis’ hands.

Spurrier was soon reminded that high expectations could take the fun out of football. Despite winning 10 games in 2001, that season was deemed a failure by the Florida faithful. That didn’t sit well with Spurrier, so he resigned in January after 12 seasons. The key pillar that upheld one of the best rivalries in college football was gone.

Casey became my favorite Vol and Travis became a Tennessee folk hero that night. Easily one of the greatest games in Vol history. We played like a team possessed that night.

Ahhh.... The good ole days. Seems like I have to think about them often to keep my sanity. Perhaps I am too emotionally attached to my beloved vols.... Perhaps I just hate the freaking gators.

Reactions: SmokinBob
We have only won 3 times after 2001 against UF. Wish the series could be altered more in our favor. But yeah, the 01 squad was loaded.

Honestly, you may have a point there. That second half explosion by the Vols did not sit well with Spurrier. Of course, the Jack Sells/Ron Zook Kinko incident in 1991 kinda altered things too.

UT definitely got Spurrier’s attention from a talent standpoint. Your 1990 team was LOADED (someday you’ll have to explain losing 9-6 loss to Bama that year...look up fluke in the dictionary and you’ll see that game).

Spurrier wasn’t known as the greatest recruiter, but that 45-3 beatdown made him focus on bringing in better talent, which ultimately led to our 1992 class that was the foundation for our first national title in ‘96.

Wasn't this game moved to December because of the 9/11 tragedy? Loved watching it with friends way over here in Arizona. I believe playing Florida in December better suited the Vols than playing the Gators in September. Exciting, fun and a Big Orange victory. Sweet! Thanks for posting!

UT definitely got Spurrier’s attention from a talent standpoint. Your 1990 team was LOADED....someday you’ll have to explain losing 9-6 loss to Bama that year...look up fluke in the dictionary and you’ll see that game.

Spurrier wasn’t known as the greatest recruiter, but that 45-3 beatdown made him focus on bringing in better talent, which ultimately led to our 1992 class that was the foundation for our first national title in ‘96.
If I remember right, the Vols lined up to kick a go-ahead FG with under a minute left in the game. Bama blocked the kick, the ball bounced an ungodly amount of yards back into Tennessee territory, and Bama wound up with the game winning FG. Never have seen anything like it, before or since. I'm sure I broke something that day when that happened, but I can't remember what. Selective memory is sometimes a good thing.

Reactions: TN Outlaw
Wasn't this game moved to December because of the 9/11 tragedy? Loved watching it with friends way over here in Arizona. I believe playing Florida in December better suited the Vols than playing the Gators in September. Exciting, fun and a Big Orange victory. Sweet! Thanks for posting!
Yes, that's how it became the last game of the season.

If I remember right, the Vols lined up to kick a go-ahead FG with under a minute left in the game. Bama blocked the kick, the ball bounced an ungodly amount of yards back into Tennessee territory, and Bama wound up with the game winning FG. Never have seen anything like it, before or since. I'm sure I broke something that day when that happened, but I can't remember what. Selective memory is sometimes a good thing.

Phillip F$%kin Doyle

Reactions: TN Outlaw
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...orever-altered-the-tennessee-florida-rivalry/

After showcasing one incredible tailback after another for more than a decade, the Vols were forced to lean on Travis Stephens in 2001. Little was expected out of the 5-9, 190-pound tailback that season. Yet he delivered. Stephens set the single-season school record for rushing yards with 1,464. He ran for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Gators in that season finale.

That game also seemed to be the moment in which UT defensive coordinator John Chavis had finally figured out Florida coach Steve Spurrier. Chavis and the Vols had beaten Florida before in 1998 at the height of Spurrier’s reign, but that victory was about an opportunistic defense that created turnovers when it absolutely had to and Jeff Hall’s right leg.

Chavis came out of his shell in 2001 by using what he would call a “Prowler” package. The defensive approach was based on keeping Florida’s offense off guard by constantly moving players around in the front seven. Even defensive linemen stood and bounced back and forth between gaps before the snap. UT’s defense still gave up 362 passing yards and 32 points, but the Vols kept the Gators guessing. Suddenly, Spurrier’s offense looked a bit antiquated. He refused to run the ball even though that seemed like the better option considering UT often just had one defender positioned to stop the run. Chavis knew that Spurrier wanted to win by throwing the ball. Spurrier played right into the Chavis’ hands.

Spurrier was soon reminded that high expectations could take the fun out of football. Despite winning 10 games in 2001, that season was deemed a failure by the Florida faithful. That didn’t sit well with Spurrier, so he resigned in January after 12 seasons. The key pillar that upheld one of the best rivalries in college football was gone.

Casey became my favorite Vol and Travis became a Tennessee folk hero that night. Easily one of the greatest games in Vol history. We played like a team possessed that night.

Travis Stephens stands as a testament that 190 lb Vol RBs cannot run between the tackles. He did all season long that year, holes so big you could literally drive a car through.

Yes it was moved and it proved that back then we would have won almost every game against UF had it been later in the year because we were always breaking in new DBs and had to face them 3rd game of the year. Sort of like we faced West Virginia this year with a bunch of rookies. Don't know if our current rookies are any good, but back then we had talent, but were inexperienced in the DB nearly every year and had to face the most prolific offense we were gonna see in only their 3rd game.

Yes it was moved and it proved that back then we would have won almost every game against UF had it been later in the year because we were always breaking in new DBs and had to face them 3rd game of the year. Sort of like we faced West Virginia this year with a bunch of rookies. Don't know if our current rookies are any good, but back then we had talent, but were inexperienced in the DB nearly every year and had to face the most prolific offense we were gonna see in only their 3rd game.

Rofl....yes, that one game "proved" we would have won almost every game against UF had it been late in the year.

UT definitely got Spurrier’s attention from a talent standpoint. Your 1990 team was LOADED (someday you’ll have to explain losing 9-6 loss to Bama that year...look up fluke in the dictionary and you’ll see that game).

Just the numbers 9-6 make my blood boil till this day!

Kinda like 28-27..........or 10-9!

The '91 game in the Swamp is pretty legendary around here for the behavior of Florida fans. I wasn't at the game but I have heard so many stories about water balloons, coins, toilet paper and various other forms of debris being thrown at Tennessee fans during the game and also at the Tennessee sideline. At least some it has to be true. There was a write up in the News Sentinel in the fall of '92 that even included a comment from Vicky Fulmer about having to defend herself from Florida fans. The SEC mandated that a student section could no longer be located behind the opposing team's bench in response to that game.

Bring up the subject to most Florida fans and they will admit it happened, but add that it was somehow justified because Tennessee players led fans in the Gator clap the year before and our student section had chanted "Our students don't die!" in reference to the Gainesville Ripper slaying (Danny Rolling) that had been ongoing. This series turned ugly fast.

Florida is 13-3 against Tennessee since 2001.

How exactly did that game alter the rivalry?

That was my question. UT hasn't exactly figured UF out.

Also, I wouldn't say Chavis figured out Spurrier that night. UF was a 2 point conversion away from a tie in regulation.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back