Most memorable Florida game?

lawvol73

I was 25 years old and had never been to a Tennessee home game. (My first Tennessee game attendance was in Pro Player stadium in Miami... Peyton's last game against Nebraska)

The following year, I went to my first Tennessee home game. That game happened to be versus Florida in 1998. I sat in section P (the southwest end of Neyland). As you can imagine, the atmosphere was electric. From my seat in P, I could not tell whether the Florida kick was good in OT, but the reaction by the fans said it all. I remember fighting my way from 38 rows up in section P to be on the field. At that moment, I was in Heaven. I was hooked...

Please share your most memorable Florida games.

Wife and I attended 2016. Checkered stands. Hot as the Devil's home. Went for a half with little hope. Screamed our heads off until the clock hit 00. So emotional, I cried. Hoarse for a week. But I'll never forget it. Still use our pic after the win as my phone lock screen. It's the only UF game I saw in person.

Last edited:
As sad as it is, 2016 is the only W I’ve seen since I’ve been routinely watching the Vols. So it’s that by default. (Started in 06)

Reactions: lawvol73
2002 - First game post Spurrier, and first game in Neyland. Sat in section KK at the very top, right underneath what is now the video board. Rained like hell and poured water out of my boots at halftime. I came into the game expecting a loss, and was delighted at the outcome. Got told to die on the way out. Good times.

2005 - First game post Zook. I remember watching it in my living room and my (now) wife was in bed sick. I kept giving her score updates every time I checked on her whether she wanted them or not :D

Last edited:
1992 in the 2nd half monsoon in Neyland.
1998 -- "Pandemonium Reigns!"
2000 for all the wrong reasons (Hey Al Matthews, Gaffney never had possession of the ball on that TD!)

2001 game for sure - We were leaving heading back towards I-75 and Gator fans were throwing beer bottles at my fiancé (now wife) at a stop light. She got out and threw a left hook.....

Reactions: hmhawk and TNDeb3
Yea, but I didn't care. It was a great day. I drank alcohol back then and had a new girlfriend. And y'all lost.

Yep, that was Strike One for Zook.

He managed the clock perfectly for you guys to complete that Hail Mary at the half.

I attended the 2001 game and felt like the white chariot came from the heavens to carry me home after that victory.

Noon kickoff that year, brutal heat.

Heat is an understatement...I sat in the UF student section that game with my best friend who was a Freshman at UF and due to the amount of alcohol consumed the night before and the early morning tailgate, I thought I was having a heat stroke. Remember drinking about 6 Gatorades at Ben Hill Griffin just to stay alive.

My favorite game was the year following when Wilhoite nailed the FG to win the game. Stayed in Neyland well after the game concluded just singing Rocky Top.

98 is really tough to top. Just an amazing day/night

1997 in the heat
was surprised to see that wasn't holding the record for hottest game at uf. It was brutal sitting in the sun. But we almost ran over Spurrier the night before so it was a good trip anyways

f34356facfe078d96516628511156217a12e1116_hq.jpg

The one Florida game that still really grinds my gears is the "alleged" catch by Jabar Gaffney from Rex Grossman to beat us. I'll leave it here so I'm not the only one still mad about it.

Definitely 98....the view from LL of the OT in the south endzone was tremendous. My Dad and I, man that place was electric that night!

Was there in 2004, really fell like we stole one.

2006, for wrong reasons ..... stupid hands to face of FL QB negated (I think) Eddie Moore's pick-6. I can still see Chris Leak finding a stupid dragging TE back across the field on a waggle type pass over and over again.

2016 was hot, very hot.....and what a difference in two halves.

I was in college from summer '93 until spring graduation in '99. All those years I think I missed one home game. I attended all the others. The '98 Florida game was by far the most memorable. The emotional disbelief that we were actually going to lose to Arkansas, and sitting in my seat in the rain with empty seats around me (my friends had left) and just sort of in shock, and then the Stoerner fumble and win and the 180 degree turnaround to the disbelief of winning...that had to be a close second. But the OP said most memorable Florida game and '98 was no doubt the most memorable. When people ask me about Neyland Stadium, the '98 Florida and Arkansas games come to mind first.

Reactions: GRN1926
Last year. I still have nightmares about it and I personally think it was a tipping point for Jones and the whole squad. Worst UT game I can remember...I hate them gators worse than anything but I still spend time there often, at least at Suwannee.

All already mentioned but mine in a slightly different order
1998 - Not just because it was as important as it was but it was my 6 year old son's first game; he is now an alum
2004 - Another game my son attended with me, from despair to exhilaration. For this one, we traveled from Fort Worth, TX
1992 - Great fun in the rain. I was already recognizing that I needed to savor any Vols victory over Steve Spurrier and that one was a beat down.

The ones we've won since I've been alive. I'm 33... not too many wins to celebrate.

VN Store

Back