Sept 2 2006

franklinboy

I can remember it like it was yesterday that game was the loudest I’ve heard Neyland Stadium in a good min.. Words from the California coach ..”man that thing was rocking!” If Neyland ain’t “rocking” come Saturday night it will be tougher to beat Fla .. Also unless Tennessee can run the ball effectively it will be a long night to

Neyland has been plenty loud over the years.

It’s all about the timing. Too often many believe in getting loud on 3rd down, when we really need to get loud the whole time the gators have the ball. Yes, that does mean on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down. We need to be loud between plays too. How many times have y’all heard Neyland go nuts once they come to line but not so loud between plays? Too many times. Between plays are just as important as when they approach the line of scrimmage. If they can’t communicate while in the huddle or from the sidelines verbally, it will make it more difficult on them.

I know this is big boy football and they have prepared for us to be loud, but being loud will also feed our team, when every little bit can help, let’s give all to help our guys tomorrow night.

We also need the section behind their bench to be rowdy while we have the ball. Why? You ask. We need to disrupt their communication between their series so they can’t make any adjustments without having us in their ear.

We both have two classes that don’t know how loud we can get for the gators. Let’s not be a let down but a conformation of how loud we can really be.

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow, supporting our team by getting loud.

Go Vols!

One of the Oklahoma players commented that Neyland stadium was so loud you could feel the noise on your skin.
I hope it's like that sat. night and I hope our players feed off that energy and play lights out.

Neyland's official capacity in 2006 was 102,037. The announced attendance for that Cal game was 106,009. There were multiple games that year where the announced attendance was over capacity.

Today the official capacity is 102,455, and for the last several years that also is the highest announced attendance I've seen. Did UT sell standing-room only tickets in the past or something? According to Wikipedia, the last announced attendance that was more than the official capacity was 2011.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
That 2006 game versus Cal was a special game to attend. After the disappointment of the '05 season, it was like a 4 or 5 o'clock game so everyone was ready to go, we were out for blood that day. Even on the opening kickoff we knocked their starting TE out. It probably wasn't the cleanest play, but we sent a message.

That 2006 team was BCS good. We never achieved our full potential when Ainge got injured.

I was at that game. Cal was ranked #8 and we beat them like a rented mule. Marshawn Lynch was all the media could talk about, but TN handled him. I remember being annoyed that we let them score after we put the game away, because the final score did not represent the beat down we gave them. I loved it!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I'll never forget the chant of "OVER RATED" by the entire stadium that game. Man that was a good one to be at.

I was at that game. Cal was ranked #8 and we beat them like a rented mule. Marshawn Lynch was all the media could talk about, but TN handled him. I remember being annoyed that we let them score after we put the game away, because the final score did not represent the beat down we gave them. I loved it!
I loved that game because most of the national media was picking Cal to win. They were preseason #12, picked to win the Pac 10, Marshawn was on people's Heisman lists, and their QB (Longshore) was pretty good. Corso even picked them to win the national championship. We were of course coming off a disappointing 5-7 season. And it wasn't like Cal went on to be a huge disappointment that year...they finished 10-3 and were Pac 10 co-champions, losing the tiebreaker to USC.

They looked like they had no business being on the same field as us that night. You are totally correct that the game was not even as close as the score indicated, and it was still a 3 possession game (17 points). We were up 35-0 midway through the third quarter and 35-11 until the final seconds.

I loved that game because most of the national media was picking Cal to win. They were preseason #12, picked to win the Pac 10, Marshawn was on people's Heisman lists, and their QB (Longshore) was pretty good. Corso even picked them to win the national championship. We were of course coming off a disappointing 5-7 season. And it wasn't like Cal went on to be a huge disappointment that year...they finished 10-3 and were Pac 10 co-champions, losing the tiebreaker to USC.

They looked like they had no business being on the same field as us that night. You are totally correct that the game was not even as close as the score indicated, and it was still a 3 possession game (17 points). We were up 35-0 midway through the third quarter and 35-11 until the final seconds.

I remember hearing Mayo's name all day. He played great! I want those days back, when we got the job done. We were respected and feared!

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Neyland's official capacity in 2006 was 102,037. The announced attendance for that Cal game was 106,009. There were multiple games that year where the announced attendance was over capacity.

Today the official capacity is 102,455, and for the last several years that also is the highest announced attendance I've seen. Did UT sell standing-room only tickets in the past or something? According to Wikipedia, the last announced attendance that was more than the official capacity was 2011.
Because of fire codes they can only announce the “max capacity”. There will be more, closer to 107k.

Because of fire codes they can only announce the “max capacity”. There will be more, closer to 107k.
Ah. Are there only 102,455 seats in the stadium? Or are there actually more than that, but the most they'll ever say is 102,455 if they sell more tickets than that?

Ah. Are there only 102,455 seats in the stadium? Or are there actually more than that, but the most they'll ever say is 102,455 if they sell more tickets than that?
I’m not sure, but I assume that’s the actual number of seats in the stadium and whoever comes in after that is standing. The most you will ever here from the university is 102,455 but the announcers might say something like, “ close to 105,000 at Neyland Stadium tonight”

It was rocking cause the fans were ready but so were the players. You could see it in their pregame warm ups. My biggest concern is do these kid realize what effort and mentality it takes to win in this league.

It was rocking cause the fans were ready but so were the players. You could see it in their pregame warm ups. My biggest concern is do these kid realize what effort and mentality it takes to win in this league.

Until the culture has been changed completely, then I don't think they do. Pruitt has one straight uphill climb.

They used to count the players, field personnel etc etc.

I can guarantee they have sold Standing Room Only tickets in the past. I was able to walk the sidelines one game with a SRO ticket. It was cool being down there but I was unable to see the game due to obstructed view. A wall of large players blocking the entire view of the field.

Everything(Without inspecting every word posted in case some contradict each other.) else on this matter sounds right too.

It’s gonna be wild tomorrow. Been practicing getting loud with the little chug. I brought ear protection for him. He is ready to get loud.

I remember Meachem's hitch routes for touchdowns and then we put a guy in motion out of the backfield and hit Swain on a seem route for an easy TD when their safeties got confused in their Cover 2.

Back when I was in school there were SRO tickets. They don't issue those now but many of those old attendance figures were simply made up...think the announced attendance at the O&W games as of recent.

That 2006 game versus Cal was a special game to attend. After the disappointment of the '05 season, it was like a 4 or 5 o'clock game so everyone was ready to go, we were out for blood that day. Even on the opening kickoff we knocked their starting TE out. It probably wasn't the cleanest play, but we sent a message.

That 2006 team was BCS good. We never achieved our full potential when Ainge got injured.

They really were but had some big injuries that hurt us down the stretch.

Ainge went down after leading us to a 7-1 start. Justin Harrell got injured for the year, Sears had a bad ankle injury he played through that was very painful, and Inky Johnson went down that year.

So we lost our starting QB, best DT, no.1 CB, and our starting LT struggled with an injury all year. Pretty important players. These are facts people tend to forget when they attempt to blast Phil. Reality is we haven't fielded teams with that level of potential since he left. Not even in the conversation but CPF was fielding BCS caliber teams right up to the end of his tenure.

They really were but had some big injuries that hurt us down the stretch.

Ainge went down after leading us to a 7-1 start. Justin Harrell got injured for the year, Sears had a bad ankle injury he played through that was very painful, and Inky Johnson went down that year.

So we lost our starting QB, best DT, no.1 CB, and our starting LT struggled with an injury all year. Pretty important players. These are facts people tend to forget when they attempt to blast Phil. Reality is we haven't fielded teams with that level of potential since he left. Not even in the conversation but CPF was fielding BCS caliber teams right up to the end of his tenure.

I recall that team being very good . We made the cover of SI after we dropped 51 in Athens. That was big deal then. Ainge’s busted ankle and a few bang bang plays vs LSU we might only lose 1 SEC game. We got absolutely worked by Arkansas, but we didn't get off the bus. We quit.

VN Store

Back