55 Decommits since Class of 2015-2019

MiramarVol

Sanctified Vol
I came across these stats while I was looking at DJ Uiagalelei's 247 Page. Clemson has only 2 decommits in that time period. Tennessee has had 55. I knew it we were bad, but I didn't know it was that many. Only the Canes have had more.

Clemson: 2

Washington: 5

Stanford: 5+

Auburn: 10+

Notre Dame: 10+

Ohio State: 15+

Oklahoma: 20+

Penn State: 20+

Georgia: 25+

LSU: 25+

Alabama: 30+

Others:

Miami 60+

Tennessee: 55+

FSU: 30+

South Carolina: 25+

N.C. State: 5+

Virginia Tech: 5+

Reactions: feathersax
If the coaching change accounts for about 15 as mentioned above, which sounds unlikely to me but I don't actually have any facts to base that on, then that still leaves 40.

FORTY. Still more than anyone but Miami on the list that was pasted above.

This is not insignificant. Especially when viewed in light of the outrageously high number of players who left the program early during those same years. This is an indicator of the dysfunction that was happening in this program during the Butch Jones era. Another reason to be glad we are finally seeing some stabilization taking place under our new AD.

At least we make a good first impression

giphy.gif

They plays a factor but Butch’s strategy of taking every kid and then cutting them later is the reason why it’s so high
We did this to probably 5-10 guys per class when Butch was here. Add in the coaching changes and I believe it.

We did this to probably 5-10 guys per class when Butch was here...

Not even close. First of all, it's rare that a player will admit he was encouraged to look elsewhere. So it's hard to say x-number of guys fall into this category. But even if you make assumptions that aren't supported by evidence, the numbers just don't work out. For instance, in Butch's first recruiting class, 2014, we had 8 decommits, 6 of which were due to the coaching change. That would leave 2 who were supposedly asked to look elsewhere and there's no evidence that was the case with either one of them.

In 2015, we had 5 total decommits. Two of the five were 4-stars who flipped to other schools. One of the other 3 had grade problems and might not have qualified anyway. One of the others was a RB who probably was asked to open his commitment back up. But with a 4-star RB (one of the two who ended-up flipping) and Kamara and Kelly (2 future NFL'ers) in the class already, it would be hard to fault Jones.

In fact, of the players who were in a position to be asked to look elsewhere (and again we have no way of proving this in most cases), where are the examples of players who we asked to leave who then went on to great careers somewhere else? I challenge anyone to find one. And like it or not this happens everywhere to one degree or another. This is not a Butch phenomenon.

By far the largest numbers of decommits were in Butch's last 2 classes, when there was already a lot of speculation about his job security. In the 2018 class, there were 20 decommits after Butch was let go, including one 5-star and six 4-stars.

Clemson's numbers are low because they don't allow their commits to take other visits. Don't know about Washington and Stanford.

That plays a factor but Butch’s strategy of taking every kid and then cutting them later is the reason why it’s so high

This is how I played NFL 2k3 on PS2.. (it helped that contract penalties barely mattered and there was a weird glitch that would boost another team's trade interest regardless of player when 5+ were involved)

I would sit back, play with front office stuff, simulate 10 games a season, and cut or trade 6th year pros who went from an 86 rating to an 83.. usually for a hot rookie rated in the low 80's. And after three or four simulated years, if a 82-rated rookie was still an 82, I'd cut/trade his ass too.

13-year old me would've been a terrible coach or front office guy.

Not even close. First of all, it's rare that a player will admit he was encouraged to look elsewhere. So it's hard to say x-number of guys fall into this category. But even if you make assumptions that aren't supported by evidence, the numbers just don't work out. For instance, in Butch's first recruiting class, 2014, we had 8 decommits, 6 of which were due to the coaching change. That would leave 2 who were supposedly asked to look elsewhere and there's no evidence that was the case with either one of them.

In 2015, we had 5 total decommits. Two of the five were 4-stars who flipped to other schools. One of the other 3 had grade problems and might not have qualified anyway. One of the others was a RB who probably was asked to open his commitment back up. But with a 4-star RB (one of the two who ended-up flipping) and Kamara and Kelly (2 future NFL'ers) in the class already, it would be hard to fault Jones.

In fact, of the players who were in a position to be asked to look elsewhere (and again we have no way of proving this in most cases), where are the examples of players who we asked to leave who then went on to great careers somewhere else? I challenge anyone to find one. And like it or not this happens everywhere to one degree or another. This is not a Butch phenomenon.

By far the largest numbers of decommits were in Butch's last 2 classes, when there was already a lot of speculation about his job security. In the 2018 class, there were 20 decommits after Butch was let go, including one 5-star and six 4-stars.

I know it's not a Hurd thread, but reading this made it occur to me that not only Hurd's backup but the 3rd stringer are in the NFL kicking ass, and he will probably go undrafted. He couldn't have taken his lumps for 5 more games and then come out as our all-time rusher? Cmon man...

I came across these stats while I was looking at DJ Uiagalelei's 247 Page. Clemson has only 2 decommits in that time period. Tennessee has had 55. I knew it we were bad, but I didn't know it was that many. Only the Canes have had more.

Clemson: 2

Washington: 5

Stanford: 5+

Auburn: 10+

Notre Dame: 10+

Ohio State: 15+

Oklahoma: 20+

Penn State: 20+

Georgia: 25+

LSU: 25+

Alabama: 30+

Others:

Miami 60+

Tennessee: 55+

FSU: 30+

South Carolina: 25+

N.C. State: 5+

Virginia Tech: 5+

We haven’t had as much money lately to seal the deals!

😂😂😂

If the coaching change accounts for about 15 as mentioned above, which sounds unlikely to me but I don't actually have any facts to base that on, then that still leaves 40.

FORTY. Still more than anyone but Miami on the list that was pasted above.

This is not insignificant. Especially when viewed in light of the outrageously high number of players who left the program early during those same years. This is an indicator of the dysfunction that was happening in this program during the Butch Jones era. Another reason to be glad we are finally seeing some stabilization taking place under our new AD.
I haven’t tried to find the data but it seems like we have had more attrition in the classes from the last few years as well meaning that the kids signed and were included in our rankings and didn’t last. That’s part of the reason the recruiting rankings are misleading when evaluating our talent level. That and a lack of player development. I expect all of this to improve with more stability in our coaches and AD and with our coaching upgrade. I know that Pruitt is only 3 games in but I believe he is an upgrade over our last 2 coaches for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Butch Jones would always over recruit a kid that had committed in the previous summer to take a 4 star in December. It was his mode of operation. I kept saying that a kid would be stupid to commit to Butch before December or you could be looking for another scholarship at the last minute. Especially 3 stars.

That is one reason that number is so high.

VN Store

Back